Generator.

NoshowJones

This may be the wrong forum for this, if so, maybe the Mod can move it. During the last week, the village I live in has had blackouts twice, last night from about 7pm till about 10 pm today. Can anyone give me any advice about generators? I have a very small house next to the main one and wonder if I should get a generator only for my small house which only has lights, refrigerator, and my computer, oh, and a kettle for making tea.

What's the best kind to get, where to get it, and roughly how much it will cost? Any help will be very much appreciated.

There's a massive range of gensets available from baby 500 Watt 2-strokers for <10,000 Baht, up to meaty diesel units costing several thousand dollars.

Give us some idea of what you want to run, and how long / often the outages are and more direct advice will be forthcoming :)

I got a 6.5kw honda petrol genny. Wired into my house with transfer switch. Cost approximately 700, 000 baht. Money well spent.

U got the right number of zeros there TR, that's $23,000 I would be expecting a silent diesel set for that sort of cash?

There's a massive range of gensets available from baby 500 Watt 2-strokers for <10,000 Baht, up to meaty diesel units costing several thousand dollars.

Give us some idea of what you want to run, and how long / often the outages are and more direct advice will be forthcoming smile.png

Thanks Crossy, I want to run my computer, lights, fridge and fan. the outrages have not been bad in recent years, mostly at nights, and last up to two hours, but in the eight years I have been here, the last one was the only one that ran for about 15 hours. I just want to be prepared in case it happens again. I went to a local hotel for the night.

I got a 6.5kw honda petrol genny. Wired into my house with transfer switch. Cost approximately 700, 000 baht. Money well spent.

U got the right number of zeros there TR, that's $23,000 I would be expecting a silent diesel set for that sort of cash?

Ha ha, well spotted. It was 70,000.

On mine I run everything in the house except my 7kw water heater which we don't really need anyway. I just make sure I don't have more than 1 a/c unit running at the same time. The only down side is knowing when the power comes back on but that's a minor inconvenience.

THB 700k = diamond studded and gasoline tank 18k gold? huh.png
As already stated it was a typo. Try reading the whole thread perhaps?
  • Like 1

why should i? if i'd read every thread from the beginning i'd had no time left for anything else.

Edited by Naam

why should i? if i'd read every thread from the beginning i'd had no time left for anything else.
Never mind. I'm not going to spoil a valuable thread sparring with the likes of you.

Give us some idea of what you want to run, and how long / often the outages are and more direct advice will be forthcoming smile.png

Thanks Crossy, I want to run my computer, lights, fridge and fan. the outrages have not been bad in recent years, mostly at nights, and last up to two hours, but in the eight years I have been here, the last one was the only one that ran for about 15 hours. I just want to be prepared in case it happens again. I went to a local hotel for the night.

Have a look at the gasoline powered babies about 2-4 kVA, cost 12-22k Baht.

It is important to note that these gensets, particularly the cheaper Thai or Chinese made units are most definitely NOT quiet.

We have a KwaiThong 5 kVA which runs the whole house except aircon and water heater, keeps the lights on and stirs the air with the fans.

We don't have many power failures, usually no more than 10-20 minutes which the UPS keeps the PC going for, but if it's off for longer than that it will be off all night :(

• Like 1

If Internet is ADSL ie 50v DC supply from exchange, does it still go down during a power cut?

Couldn't one put a 220v buzzer across/parallel to the incoming supply at the knife switch to alert one when the mains power comes back on? If the switch is in the mains position it would be shunted and not sound