step daughter to the UK

Ok so my wife and I have been married for 14 years and I have a step daughter who is 20 this year.

For all the years we have been married my step daughter has always fought to stay in Thailand, never ever wanted to come to the UK. Anyway she has decided she now wants to come and live with us in the UK.

I'm after advice on the type of visa to apply for and costs and difficulty. It's obviously been many years since I had any dealings with the embassy.

also I should point out my wife has been a British citizen for the last 6 years. We are both in full time employment,we also have a mortgage. We have room in the house for her and we have the necessary funds to support her. We also have an 8 year old son.

I always remember getting my wife over was one of the most expensive and painful processes I've ever experienced.

So any help and advice would be much appreciated

At 20 years old, your stepdaughter is too old to join you in the Uk as a dependant for settlement. She would have to be under 18, unless she is living "alone outside the United Kingdom in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances."

You could also consider applying for a visa for her as a student, of course.

Tony M

Ahh ok, thanks for the reply. Would it be possible to apply in her own right for some sort of permanent visitors visa?

I was having a look at some of the visas and there appears to be a multiple visit visa.

What about this student visa? What would that involve?

There is no such thing as a 'permanent visitor!'

She could apply for a long term visit visa, up to 10 years, but she could only spend a maximum of 6 months in the UK per visit and, usually, no more than 6 months out of any 12 in the UK.

She is very unlikely to get more than the standard 6 month visit visa on her first application.

She could apply for a Tier 4 student visa; but would need, among other requirements, to be sponsored by an approved educational institution in the UK.

This visa would last as long as the course of study; though she could extend it to continue her studies provided she meets the same eligibility requirements as for the original visa.

If in the UK as a student she could apply for ILR as the spouse or partner of a British citizen or person settled in the UK.

Edited by 7by7