laser eye surgery in phuket?

stevehaigh

There are several Lasik surgery clinics on the Island, I know of one on the beach road in Patong.

I was in the eye center at Bangkok Phuket Hospital recently, they were advertising this procedure, The other International Hospital advertises the procedure for medical tourists.

Can't help with costs, but I think at least one regular here has had the surgery.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/701021-cataract-surgery/?p=7443630&hl=%2Blaser

Edited by Old Croc

Tbh I would not chance getting something like that done here. Maybe even go to Dubai or back to farang land.

TRSC lasik Center in Bangkok is very professional and 75 % of their clients are foreigners and most of them come specially for this treatment to Bangkok. (there are more good treatment centers in Bangkok)

Many people from Dubai go to Bangkok for this.

My concerns are more around the levels of expertise and safety exercised here compared to western countries. I read every day if careless accidents so tbh if I was getting my eyes done I would rather make sure it's in a proper clinic back home. I'm actually going to get mine done in a few months in London. Will cost me a fair bit though.

Tbh I would not chance getting something like that done here. Maybe even go to Dubai or back to farang land.

TRSC lasik Center in Bangkok is very professional and 75 % of their clients are foreigners and most of them come specially for this treatment to Bangkok. (there are more good treatment centers in Bangkok)

Yes, TRSC is the "go to" place.

I definitely would not do this in Phuket. You want not only someone well trained but someone who has done a very large number of procedures.

(I'm assuming what you want is Lasik or other refractive surgery, and not laser removal of a cataract).

Yes, TRSC is the "go to" place.

I definitely would not do this in Phuket. You want not only someone well trained but someone who has done a very large number of procedures.

(I'm assuming what you want is Lasik or other refractive surgery, and not laser removal of a cataract).

Sheryl

Are you suggesting that the Bangkok Phuket Hospital facilities and their doctors are sub par ?

http://www.phukethospital.com/Health-Centre/Eye-Center.php

I am suggesting that they have not done anywhere near the number of procedures that TRSC has.

So on that basis, some clinic in , say Mumbai, by shear weight of numbers would be the place to go?

That's a silly and rhetorical question, but you get my point.

The International hospitals in Phuket are as good as anything in Bangkok for most common medical procedures and they have a thriving medical tourist industry here much as in Bangkok. I'm disappointed that someone as knowledgeable and respected as yourself would dismiss facilities here in that manner.

I definitely would not do this in Phuket. You want not only someone well trained but someone who has done a very large number of procedures

I spent some time in the eye centre here recently, and spoke with a farang patient before and after he had cataract surgery.

He was back in about 1/2 an hour.

Although he still had a bandage on his eye and it was to early to tell if perhaps the donkey doctor had lasared his optic nerve to a blackened stump, he seemed very pleased with the procedure.

Edited by Old Croc

As I stated, my advice was predicated on the assumption what was referred to was refractive surgery. I would have no reservation about someone having cataract surgery at Bkk Phuket Hospital, but cataract surgery has been around a lot longer than refractory surgery.

I am not "dismissing" the entire eye facility at that hospital. I am recommending that for this particular very specialized surgery it is advisable to go to a place that specializes exclusively in that and does a very large volume of it.

• Like 2

i think i'll go to TRSC in bkk thn. thanks for the info all.

does anyone know how much it costs for lasik on both eyes? can't find a price on their website

I had mine done at TRSC 10 years ago, and I think the price was around 60k. Probably it's considerably less now? Just email their customer service they will respond immediately with a quote, though they have to examine your eyes first etc.. They are still first class. I went there a few weeks ago for a check-up because I needed an eye measurement for a cataract surgery. Absolutely first class place.

i had my lasik done at Phuket International about 20 months ago. The service was amazing and the assessment procedure thorough and professional. at no time did I feel pressurised to undergo the procedure and spent a long time with the lady Dr (I just wish I could remember her name) with her explaining the whole set up and then once again running certain tests herself.

On the actual day of the operation I was naturally a bit nervous but once in the room it all went like clockwork.

....... I just wish I had had it done years ago!.

They then went on 4 months later to save my life but that's another story.

Some people says have bad affect after lasik surgery, how safe it's? Any suggestion

I went to TRSC lasik in Bangkok for the initial check as i'm interested in the treatment.

But call me a baby but i'm a little bit scared to do it because you play with your eyes.

The percentage of success it really great (in my case about 98%) but it is always possible that something goes wrong.

I'm still interested and maybe i'm biting the bullet soon.

I believe the price they quoted for me was about 70.000 Baht for both eyes for the complete treatment and all post checks.

The money is not a problem but i want the least risk.

Some people says have bad affect after lasik surgery, how safe it's? Any suggestion

I went to TRSC lasik in Bangkok for the initial check as i'm interested in the treatment.

But call me a baby but i'm a little bit scared to do it because you play with your eyes.

The percentage of success it really great (in my case about 98%) but it is always possible that something goes wrong.

I'm still interested and maybe i'm biting the bullet soon.

I believe the price they quoted for me was about 70.000 Baht for both eyes for the complete treatment and all post checks.

The money is not a problem but i want the least risk.

As I mentioned I had mine done there 10 years ago. There is almost no risk but there is one side effect to be aware of. After Lasik I had glare when night driving and also in large department stores with bright lighting at night. I understand this is one possible side effect for some people, but I may have elected not to do it knowing what I know now..., but probably not. It's great not having to wear glasses.

The odds of a good outcome (in terms of degree of visual improvement) vary with the individual,after they have examined you they will be sable to tell you, for your specific eyes, the % chance of achieving what level of vision.

There are some risks. They are small and most complications that do occur are manageable, but still, it is something to be aware of. If you want to hedge your bets,do one eye at a time. It will cost a little more but you may feel less anxiety knowing that even if the one in a million worst case scenario occurs it will not be in both eyes.

There are other advantages to doing one at at a time as follows:

1. During the initial few weeks while your vision is flunctuating, it is easier to manage when one eye is still stable. If I recall, what I did was to wear only one contact lens and to remove (or replace with clear glass) one lens of my glasses. that way I had one eye that had been operated on and whose vision was still stabilizing but the other eye stable, and as I had to work during the stabilizing period this helped a lot.

2. If you want to go for monovision (leaving one eye undercorrected so you don't need reading glasses) you will get the best result if they do one eye, let it stabilize, and then the other because at that point they know for sure the result in one eye and can better fine tune the degree of correction they aim for in the second. If one eye is noticeably worse than the other they usually do it first.

I did one eye at a time and now 15 years later and in late middle age, I still don't need reading glasses, and my far vision is still fine. Couldn't be happier with the result.

In my case I had a problem with nighttime glare before the surgery, and after was no different - not better, not worse. But some people do apparently have an increase in it post surgery.

The odds of a good outcome (in terms of degree of visual improvement) vary with the individual,after they have examined you they will be sable to tell you, for your specific eyes, the % chance of achieving what level of vision.

There are some risks. They are small and most complications that do occur are manageable, but still, it is something to be aware of. If you want to hedge your bets,do one eye at a time. It will cost a little more but you may feel less anxiety knowing that even if the one in a million worst case scenario occurs it will not be in both eyes.

There are other advantages to doing one at at a time as follows:

1. During the initial few weeks while your vision is flunctuating, it is easier to manage when one eye is still stable. If I recall, what I did was to wear only one contact lens and to remove (or replace with clear glass) one lens of my glasses. that way I had one eye that had been operated on and whose vision was still stabilizing but the other eye stable, and as I had to work during the stabilizing period this helped a lot.

2. If you want to go for monovision (leaving one eye undercorrected so you don't need reading glasses) you will get the best result if they do one eye, let it stabilize, and then the other because at that point they know for sure the result in one eye and can better fine tune the degree of correction they aim for in the second. If one eye is noticeably worse than the other they usually do it first.

I did one eye at a time and now 15 years later and in late middle age, I still don't need reading glasses, and my far vision is still fine. Couldn't be happier with the result.

In my case I had a problem with nighttime glare before the surgery, and after was no different - not better, not worse. But some people do apparently have an increase in it post surgery.

Thanks very much for your experience.

i had my lasik done at Phuket International about 20 months ago. The service was amazing and the assessment procedure thorough and professional. at no time did I feel pressurised to undergo the procedure and spent a long time with the lady Dr (I just wish I could remember her name) with her explaining the whole set up and then once again running certain tests herself.

On the actual day of the operation I was naturally a bit nervous but once in the room it all went like clockwork.

....... I just wish I had had it done years ago!.

They then went on 4 months later to save my life but that's another story.

do you recall how much it cost?

I was given a choise , in the end i had a new lens in one eye.Now i dont need glasses. I would ask for a second oppinion before jumping in with Lazer. 1 Lens 25K bht, but 2 was 30k not needed. Something called Emulsification or simlar 25 Mins on a Fancy German Machine that cascaded water over the eye.Not Feel anything.