Songkran 2014: Thais forget their woes

webfact

Well I'm a little bit jealous of you that have Songkran fun on your doorstep, for a whole week or more.....smile.png

I need to drive around 12km to my closest "fun area", find somewhere to park, and then somewhere to join in the festivities. (Usually with some good Thai friends who make an enjoyable party of it)...so only a few beers for me!

From what I see, most people wanting to avoid the festivities can easily do so, which means that almost everyone involved is having a good time: sure, there's a bit of drunken revelry (occasionally gets a tad excessive), the odd passenger slips whilst jumping on or off the back of a pick-up truck (with nothing more than a few cuts and bruises) and the odd motorcyclist slides when going too fast - probably drunk as well.

We have 3-4 days concentrated in different areas, so by avoiding those areas you can stay dry.

In about 6 hours yesterday, I only saw a handful of other farangs, all enjoying it in the company of thais.

Perhaps this is one of the benefits in living somewhat away from the more popular "farang" conurbations?

• Like 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey folks stop becoming whingers about Songkran. It is Thainess ok? The Thai folk don't do Easter and prefer not to stuff a turkey for thanksgiving.

If you don't like the water fun go to another country for the week and then return. Thailand is not a nanny state, that's why you choose to stay here right? Well, don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. Sawasdee pei mai Thai krab and happy Songkran.

Innocent people dying petty things??????? Not being a keyboard warrior, I won't give my views on what sort of person you are.

Ok don't warrior from Phichit. What do you think about this statement :- Grieving mum targets Songkran fair

Mon, 14 Apr 2014 15:08:00 +0700 : PICHIT — The mother of a 14-year-old who was electrocuted at a Songkran activity organised by Pichit municipality has vowed to bring harsh legal action against those found responsible for the death of her son? Phitchit for Songkran? Must be a farang, a Som or a fuk or a durian, never a Thai hey?

Move to a safer place in Thailand.

Edited by ThaiMouse

Songkran once was a fine festival. It "was" fun. Now there is a vindictiveness about it. Maybe aggressive is the better word. Is Song ran about getting drunk and trying to knock people off their motor bikes with water? That's what its become. That's what we complain about. 3 days of this sucks. 7 like in Chiang mail is shit.

Sent from my Lenovo S920_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Some of the anti Songkran comments here are exaggerated.

I have never seen a report of a motorcyclist dying due to having water thrown at him. If it has happened it is certainly not a frequent occurrence.

According to this "Nation" article http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html an average of 71 citizens die on Thai roads each day (year round).

According to this "Nation" article http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/39-killed-on-roads-on-day-one-of-Songkran-holidays-30231431.html a total of 39 citizens died on Thai roads on the first day of Songkran 2014.

And, according to this statistic for 2013 http://www.richardbarrow.com/2013/04/road-accident-statistics-for-songkran-in-thailand-2007-2013/ a total of 321 citizens died on Thai roads during the 7 days of Songkran = an average of 46 per day .

Conclusion: Compared with the average day, fewer people die on Thai roads during the 7 days of Songkran.

BTW, I am not arguing in favour of a 365-day Songkran festival.

Reason for edit: clarity

But but but but, those 39 died because of water pistols. they drowned when hit in the face by a two yr old firing his water pistol.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Got to love the Thai mentality when it comes to motorcycle safety. "We are Thai .... we ride with no helmets and drink a lot ... Buddha will protect us .... or not"

I see it all the time .... no helmets. The smart Thai's keep the helmet in the basket on the front of the bike just in case they see a police stop. Then they quickly reach over to grab it and put it on their head before the cop stops them. Funny site to see 4 Thai's on a bike, all on their cell phones 3 texting away while the driver sets up for a selfie, while spotting a police stop and realizing the helmet has to be placed on his head immediately.

xlaugh.png.pagespeed.ic.SDkxrRteka.png alt=laugh.png width=20 height=20>

it's about the only place Thai's have figured out how to multi task; is on the motorcycle, with their beloved mobile.

Some of the anti Songkran comments here are exaggerated.

I have never seen a report of a motorcyclist dying due to having water thrown at him. If it has happened it is certainly not a frequent occurrence.

According to this "Nation" article http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Road-death-toll-in-Thailand-among-highest-in-the-w-30202066.html an average of 71 citizens die on Thai roads each day (year round).

According to this "Nation" article http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/39-killed-on-roads-on-day-one-of-Songkran-holidays-30231431.html a total of 39 citizens died on Thai roads on the first day of Songkran 2014.

And, according to this statistic for 2013 http://www.richardbarrow.com/2013/04/road-accident-statistics-for-songkran-in-thailand-2007-2013/ a total of 321 citizens died on Thai roads during the 7 days of Songkran = an average of 46 per day .

Conclusion: Compared with the average day, fewer people die on Thai roads during the 7 days of Songkran.

BTW, I am not arguing in favour of a 365-day Songkran festival.

Reason for edit: clarity

Good point Chickenslegs. Nice to see some statistics interpreted.

People who are scared of everything (including their own shadows sometime), want to keep passing laws to take away more and more freedoms from other people. Of course, a fearful personality will remain fearful, unless one works on himself (inside) instead of trying to change to world around us to fit our idea of right and wrong.

Someone always has a "true" horror story, of something terrible that happened, using it to justify the tightening of rules and laws. Let's face it, people die every day. If we don't want to see people senselessly hurt or dead, maybe we should stand up and cry out against wars, instead of something fun like Songkran. wai2.gif

This is the last time for me as I stay in Thailand for sonkram madness. Most of my friends have already left Thailand on Saturday and traveled to other countries in Asia. I was stupid not to go with them as I did last year. Starting very tired of all the problems here with constant political problems and a complete invasion of the Russians. Does anyone have a good suggestion on where to move. Thinking of Vietnam or the Philippines might.

Don't let the "water" hit you on your way out cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

BTW, don't let a few Songkran haters on here spoil your fun and don't let the ice water scare you. After the first few "buckets" of cold ice water down my shoulders and neck, yesterday, along with "Happy New Year" Sawatdee Pee Mai wishes, it was all good. Did about an hour or two of water fights, on the road, with the rest of the crew and then went inside to relax. The only regret I have, is that I am not 20 anymore and don't have the energy to play in the water all day smile.pngwai2.gif

• Like 1

Could we make it a 1 day (not 1 week) celebration, ban ice water, ban throwing of water at anyone riding motorcycles, designate "happy" zones where you CAN throw water, but only in these areas not the main streets and also ban throwing of water at people who are wildly gesticulating "NO" and saying "NO" in Thai also please. I'm getting more than a tad sick of getting soaked and powdered every time I walk out of the house. Thanks.

I have a couple of solutions for you:

- stay indoors

- Use a car

- GO LIVE SOMEWHERE ELSE!

So many complaints about Songkran from expats living here, lets remember we are all only guests in this country, we cant expect to stop locals from doing what they want to do and have been doing forever, can we now.

Could we make it a 1 day (not 1 week) celebration, ban ice water, ban throwing of water at anyone riding motorcycles, designate "happy" zones where you CAN throw water, but only in these areas not the main streets and also ban throwing of water at people who are wildly gesticulating "NO" and saying "NO" in Thai also please. I'm getting more than a tad sick of getting soaked and powdered every time I walk out of the house. Thanks.

I have a couple of solutions for you:

- stay indoors

- Use a car

- GO LIVE SOMEWHERE ELSE!

So many complaints about Songkran from expats living here, lets remember we are all only guests in this country, we cant expect to stop locals from doing what they want to do and have been doing forever, can we now.

mmmmm ...

stay indoors ... thanks but I'm not the only foreigner or Thai forced to do this if I don't want to get soaked every time I venture outside.

use a car ... I'll await your contribution to the car fund then thank you ...

live somewhere else ... thanks, again, this is my home ...

Slight correction ... this over the top street fight is NOT traditional and has NOT been going on forever. Once you've lived here a few more years, get to know some of the 30+ year old Thai's, they're not impressed with the street fights either as they are also either forced to participate or "stay home".

• Like 1