How/when did songkran evolve from a respectful holiday to the rude mayhem that it is today?

jaideeguy

Surprise, surprise, my 18yr old step son and at least a couple of his mates have avoided the mayhem this year. They say it doesn't feel the same . Perhaps they're growing up, or maybe it has more to do with the obvious presence of the local BIB getting tough on underage drinking. One for the BIB.

It may just be that they don't like the rising trend in both deaths and injuries and prefer to stay away from speeding motorcycles driven by drunken idiots on wet roads.

edit to add title of another thread:

Songkran holiday toll: 204 deaths, 2,142 injuries; 43 more die on third day

George, I'd like to think that but I'm now told that they wanted to avoid a 'fight' with the next group of kids down the road. I can only hope they grow up - soon.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the 60's, it was a much milder celebration, often a simple splash on the hands at the entrance to a business - even bars.

Thus, I suspect it was the vibrance of the hundreds off thousands of American Gis (soldiers, sailors & airmen) who visited and were stationed here throughtout the 60's & 70's.

One side point - in 1966 - 69, on average, more Thai people spoke English than do today.

Here we go again.

A "simple splash on the hands" followed by a deep and lengthy wai, no doubt. rolleyes.gif

Clearly the photo of the 1950s full-on water fight displayed elsewhere in this thread is a fugazi then.

Everyone and his dog is a freaking Thai historian it seems

• Like 1

Obviously population density, traffic density and much lower number of tourists then but images in the 1950's show a pretty active party then too.

At Nawarat bridge - http://library.cmu.ac.th/ntic/en_picturelanna/detail_picturelanna.php?picture_id=583

More archive photos at cmu library - http://library.cmu.ac.th/ntic/en_picturelanna/picture_trails_cate.php?cate_id=15

Songkran then and now - Songkran myths

It was a quiet and respectful celebration!

Yes, it sure was quiet back then. smile.png

Just look at this absolutely beautiful picture; brings a tear to your eyes doesn't it..!

Grandma and granddad having a go at each other, 50 years on you can almost still hear the noise of that scene!

This post and the photos linked to therein should be pinned as a lesson to all the whinging grumps who bitch about a tradition that - in stark contrast to what these clowns have read - evidently was NOT limited to the respectful pouring of water over the hands.

I think much of the hostility towards Songkran on TV forums is lies in the mentality these people have

For them, it's far less about the road fatalities and "lack of respect" than it is about "I've retired; I want peace and quiet"

No.

it is about excesses.

Excesses for us non naitives or for Thai people?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I know plenty of Thai people who believe it has got out of hand.
  • Like 2

My first Songkrang was on Koh Samui in 1990 and it was much the same then. In my Isaan Village, we have two major street dances where pretty much the whole village joins in and everybody gets wet and has a great time. If you don't want to get wet don't join the dance. The rest of the time there are some that throw water, mostly little kids, but they are pretty respectful, and if you don't want to get wet they usually leave you alone. Songkrang is my favourite time of year, but at 63 I'm not a grouchy old man yet, hopefully never.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 6 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Issangeorge
  • Like 1