Life in the uk test

<snip>

Firstly, I know that you (7by7) have posted that UK visa fees and income requirements are too high. I don't know where I have said any different. What surprises me is, given that you think these things are too high, you seem to think that Thailand's visa requirements for spouses are as high and as onerous as the UKs. They are not.

You seem to have missed the point entirely; go back and read my comparisons again.

If anything is incorrect, feel free to correct me.

My main point here is that Thailand allows couples and their families to stay together with the minimum of fuss and expense whereas the UK imposes the onerous hoops and expense and income requirements that we all know about. Therefore there are many instances given by people in this forum where they, their partners and children can live forever in Thailand (albeit renewing every 90 days or so) but those same people cannot live in the UK.

Yes, families are split apart by the excessive financial requirement for UK family settlement; I have not denied that and have campaigned against it.

Apart from your regular rants here; what have you done?

But that does not change the fact that obtaining ILR for the Thai spouse of a Brit in the UK is a hell of a lot easier than obtaining Thai PR for the British spouse of a Thai; you did read Arkady's posts on that subject, I assume.

Once a Thai spouse has ILR in the UK, they can remain for as long as they like; even if they and their spouse become destitute or their British spouse dies.

Indeed, if their British spouse dies before they have ILR they can immediately apply for ILR even if they have not lived in the UK for 5 years. They also don't need to meet KOLL nor the financial requirement.

If the Thai spouse of a Brit living in Thailand dies and the Brit does not have PR, then their reason and permission to remain in Thailand dies with them. If the surviving British spouse cannot find some other way of remaining, such as a retirement visa where the income requirement is 60,000 baht per month, then they have to leave.

If the British spouse's income/savings fall below that required; they have to leave Thailand. They cannot use their Thai spouse's finances; as can be done for FLR and ILR in the UK and with savings for the initial visa as well.

You really should do more research before using Thailand as an example of an 'easy' visa regime!

I am not sure why you have seen fit to give us chapter and verse of your wife's and step-daughter's education in the UK.

Obviously in response to your point about them not having taken the test. To show that even before the introduction of KOLL, those who wished to integrate fully into the UK did learn English to a reasonable standard; a standard which in my wife's case is high enough for her to have studied for and passed both the LitUK test and the B1 test.

Even more so for my daughter who is now in her third year at university, although as she was under 18 when applying for both ILR and citizenship she would have been exempt had KOLL been required then.

For example, when people have asked in this forum for guidance about the English test you have trotted out many times that if an applicant can say simple sentences in English then they should have no problem. SIMPLY NOT TRUE!

You are (deliberately?) misquoting me. I have never said that about the LitUK test nor the B1 test.

I have said it about the A1 speaking and listening test for the initial visa; because it is true.

The standard of English speaking, listening, reading and writing for the LitUK test and B1 test is a lot higher than A1; I have never said otherwise.

What I have said, and firmly believe, is that with appropriate study and work then anyone, unless they have a learning or similar disability, is capable of passing.

Finally, I do have some experience of the LitUK test, having helped the wife of a friend study for hers.

Edited to fix syntax errors.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 2

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been out the country since 87 came back with Thai wife last year I tried the online test and got 80% but then again I love English history and that helped. Have now got the new books for my wife to study, however I do find the test to be very wrong as the pass mark is set too high as the average Brit (White resident British Brit) would fail. Why should we expect our foreign wife's husband's to score more than us.

Anyone would fail any exam unless they first studied for it.

BTW, what is a "White resident British Brit" and how do they differ from any other Brit; for example Mo Farrah?

<snip>

I and my wife would be happy to assist and certain that 7by7 and many others would too, if you so wish.....What can we do to help?

I have already offered my advice, the last time being

<snip>

I can see no reason why she (Mrs durhamboy) cannot enrol on an appropriate English course to improve her verbal and written English to the (fairly low) standard required to be able to study for and pass both tests.

but it seems to be unwelcome.

• Like 1

but it seems to be unwelcome.

I'm hoping durhamboy can break the cycle and channel all his energy into a positive outcome for his good lady wife.

If durhamboy wants to PM me I'll gladly provide my UK landline number so that his wife can ask questions of my wife if they so wish.

As with all things in life a negative atmosphere will rub off and create disharmony which is hardly conducive to attaining the necessary grades.

Immigration costs aren't cheap, as durhamboy quite correctly states, but the most sensible way to neutralise the costs involved is to achieve ILR and citizenship if required.

Don't shoot the messenger, durham.

• Like 2

7 by 7 & Wooloomooloo,

You both make a lot of comments that are inaccurate and you have virtually no knowledge of what steps my wife and I are taking about her LITUK etc. That is our personal business.

I could make yet another lengthy post rebutting the points you have made. However, you are right in that it is time for a circuit breaker as we are going round in circles. You have your opinions and I have mine. I'm happy to say let's agree to disagree if you both are as well.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Are you helping your wife in her studies, a99az?

Yes I am, her English language and her writing are very good. We don't just read and study the book "Life in the United Kingdom 3rd edition" we go out and visit places like Stonehenge, Dover castle, Leads castle, Canterbury Cathedral and museums we also get involved in our local community and visit different parts of the UK whenever we can. I would think by next year she will have a far better understanding and knowledge of the UK than your average Brit. It's all about wanting to be accepted as a valid member of her now English families home land.

Unlike many who come her to plot to unsettle our way of life by the use of terror. There days are numbered here.

Unlike many who come her to plot to unsettle our way of life by the use of terror. There days are numbered here.

&lt;deleted&gt;? Do you mean Irish Republicans?

This and your earlier "White resident British Brit" comment show a disturbing mind set from you.

One which the man in your avatar would have no truck with!

7 by 7 & Wooloomooloo,

You both make a lot of comments that are inaccurate ..........

All the facts I have posted are accurate and easily checked.

.....and you have virtually no knowledge of what steps my wife and I are taking about her LITUK etc. That is our personal business.

Indeed, and the only comments I have made about this are that if your wife's current standard of English is not high enough then were she to enrol on an English course to improve her standard of English to just B1 of the CEFR then she would have no problems with meeting both aspects of KOLL.

As can be seen here, B1 is not particularly high!

We do, indeed, disagree; and it is a major disagreement.

You think that making sure immigrant family members have a reasonable English ability so they can function in our society independently is an imposition; I believe that it is not and is actually of benefit to said immigrant family member.

I certainly dont know what the answer is, make the test easier??????

The thais i have seen in uk, are overstay and bone idle, meeting up every day,eating thai food, gambling, drinking, not willing to intergrate,actualy worse than pakistanis

Then you obviously don't know too many Thais in the UK. We have a wide social network including many Thais, some are full time parents and the rest are employed. Speak very good English are well integrated.

True that they meet up frequently, like a drink and play cards quite a lot. My wife lost £2.80 last night so is on starvation rations tonight!

I know a few Pakistanis and they will eat Thai food but none of them drink alcohol or gamble and are pretty integrated as well!

• Like 1

OK, please let's stop the bickering, draw a line and move on.

People come to this forum for advice and guidance, something we have done successfully for a number of years, so let's not spoil it for those we are here to help.

Thanks.

• Like 2