My latest attempt to purchase tramadol

rucus7

I had shoulder surgery on the 8th of this month. I live in Rayong. My hospital is in Bangkok. I have been given numerous stretching exercises. Which I have been doing religiously. The hospital prescribed celebrex x 2 per day ( anti inflammatory) KeFlex x 4 per day(antibiotic) and Ultraset 1 every 6 hours for pain. I may have over done my rehab exercise today as my pain has increased considerably. At my current consumption rate I will be out of the ultraset late tomorrow or early the next day.

I decided to buy an additional 10 tablet pack from a pharmacy I had purchased it from early last year. I was informed they were out and had no idea when they would be getting it in. I then tried a pharmacy attached to Lotus supermarket. They had both ultraset and plain tramadol 50 mg. however in order to make the purchase I had to show either my passport or ID. I gave her my drivers license, she asked me how many I wanted to buy? I bought a pack of 10 tablets. I asked the pharmacists why the need for ID. Her reply was that the government has concerns about tramadol abuse.

My guess is that real first class pharmacies with bona fide pharmacists on duty sell tramadol products. The mom and Pop pharmacies will no longer sell it as their supplies run out.

I almost forgot ice has become my best friend.

Edited by rucus7

I was hospitalised in the UK for a few days last year with a serious knee problem, and was given Tramadol as part of my treatment regime.

When I was discharged, I visited chemists and supermarket pharmacists to obtain further supplies of Tramadol, and found that these drugs were also very restricted in the UK.

The maximum I could purchase was ten tablets, and they recorded my home address on their POS system so that I couldn't return and buy more from the same store. If the POS system is linked to all pharmacies, which is quite likely for restricted drugs, then I would clearly be unable to purchase them anywhere for a few days afterwards..!

Isn't that stuff addicting and kind of dangerous to boot? After I had a knee replacement, I had several months of quite painful physical therapy, I was prescribed oxycodone, also known as vicodin, I believe. I realize it's addicting also, but I believe it to be less severe than something like tramadol. I got by on one pill a day for a few weeks. When I stopped, I had no withdrawals. As you say, ice is your best friend, and perhaps ibuprofen as well.

Heck, you're lucky you can get it. I was told and given to believe Tramadol was now a prescription medicine only available at hospitals once pharmacies ran out of existing supplies. I bought a large enough supply to last me for a while. Every pharmacy I purchased from in Pattaya said once their supply was out they were not allowed to order anymore. I hope what you say is true for pharmacies in Pattaya, that all I have to do is show my ID for 10. That would last me for several months.

Anything can be addicting if you like it and find it is hard to stop taking, drinking or eating it, such as coca cola for me. Tramadol, if addicting, is not a strong addiction drug because I take it for my migraines. Yes, it kinda of makes you feel loopy and good, but I feel no compulsion to take it unless I am having a migraine. It has two side-affects for me; dry mouth and restless sleep. I am also not worried that my body will manufacturer migraines and prompt me to take it more often. I've had enough experience with it to know it does not work that way. IMO, you have to be pretty weak-willed to get addicted to this drug.

• Like 1

The problem is that Tramadol cocktails (Tramadol + Coca Cola) have become a popular recreational drug amongst the youth in Thailand. Since a schoolboy overdosed on Tramadol Cocktail at a school in Samut Prakarn in August last year, they have clamped down on it as Tramadol is an opiate. The brands available in Thailand are Anadol, Tradolgesic, Tramodo, Volcidol and Tramal. If you bring the prescription drugs into the country they should not exceed 30 days supply or you could risk arrest.

If you take a mixture of pain killers and opiates they can cause halucinations as happened with my 86 year old mother, who nearly died after the local GP in the UK prescribed seven separate drugs to be taken each day. She spent six day sin bed staring at the ceiling and wondering who had stolen the furniture (she thought she was look at the floor). We got the police to break in otherwise she would have died. I had had a similar bad reaction to the same opiate prescribed for me when I was 26 and so since then I avoid them. My sister was going to put my mother in a home as she was losing her mind on the opiate drugs, and she thought she had the first stages of dementia. I persuaded my mother to come off the painkillers and now she only takes paracetamol for her pain. Since that episode 4 years ago she has been able to look after herself at home and is a lot fitter and has all her faculties.

I take Celebrex for acute migraine only as and when paracetamol does not work.

• Like 1

Thank you for the accurate and valuable information.

Cheers

430xc

Addiction potential for tramadaol is less than with vicodan by far. But addiction can occur.

As best as I can determine, tramadol is still legal for OTC sale but the FDA is strictly enforcing requirement that all sales be recorded and reported monthly and a first class pharmacist be on duty at all times. And they seem to be scrutinizing sales records and questioning unusually large sales.

Actually these rules have always been in place and pertain to a large number of drugs, including antibiotics, but in practice are not strictly enforced as a rule. Due to some recent highly publicized events they are now being strictly enforced for tramadol.

Many pharmacies have simply decided it is not worth the trouble.

When they say "not allowed to order" they may mean, not allowed by their boss...not that it is not allowed by law or the FDA.

There are some pharmacies still ordering, receiving and selling it but they will ask for ID, record the sale and likely limit the quantity sold at any one time.

Every time I was prescribed anti inflammatory, I never filled in the prescription..

A bit of pain has never been a problem for me...

What a guy ... thanks for sharing that gem of information tongue.png

I had shoulder surgery in Kalasin the shoulder had come right out and a broken upper arm. I was finally prescribed Morphine, only available at the hospital here, tramadol I can buy at almost any pharmacy. The morphine was time release capsules and did nothing to relieve the pain, if anything Tramadol or the same product under the 2 other names are available now I am looking at the latest I got called Anadol I think 50 mg.

I had two casts both held on with elastoplast bandages 3, and scotch tape on my back, the casts caused my arm and hand to go black and swell. The bone doctor who did the operation could offer no help, obviously the casts were cutting off the circulation. I threw them in the garbage, he replaced them with a new set which I later threw in the garbage, there was no aftercare, no prescribed exercises etc.

From my experiences in third world countries I finally went to a "house doctor" Natural, or we would call homeopath. He garglled water spit it on my shoulder and arm, made me drink the remainder (sure laugh) and then he blew on the injury.

He prepared a mixture of 5 different tree barks for me to drink, 2x he did this. I saw him 5 times. Circulation increased, blackness disappeared have full use of had and arm, but still have shoulder pain and cannot lift anything heavy on the left side. After 2 months I am able to drive my motorcycle. My last visit to the house doctor he would not accept money. I left some for his grandchildren.

My pharmacist does keep me on his computer and has to file with the proper authorities every month or 2. Whether is is Tramadol, Valium, or Lorazapan for sleep.

Hope you are starting to feel better our tolerance for pain increases the longer we are feeling it.

I suffer from lower back pain from an accident ten years ago and have also suffered from occassional migraines since I was a teenager.

In Australi I used to get a prescription of 100 Digestic tablets every 6 months or so. In Thailand I use Tramadol and I am currently waiting on an order from the local pharmacy for 100 tablets (10 packs I think.

No problems when ordering but seeming to take a while for delivery. They tell me due to Songkran and will have it in stock by the 21st. No problems, no request for id and I have purchased from the same pharmacy once before. All I showed them was a letter from my doctor in Australia which includes a list of my medical conditions and my medications.

What on earth is Tindol? Is that spelled correctly? I am not familiar with any drug of that name.

Okay, already clarified. I always go to see my orthopedist, at the local hospital and get my 30 days medicine for free.

But no problem to buy that at some drug stores in Ubon Ratchathani, guess it's pretty similar in any other provinces.

Edited by sirchai

What on earth is Tindol? Is that spelled correctly? I am not familiar with any drug of that name.

Brand name. Contains Tindinazole. Anti-protozoan. Related to metronidazole.

Tinidazole is, obviously, not a pain medication. And it does not come in brand name "Tindol" in Thailand. I think he must have meant something else.

In Chiangrai we get my medicine from a pharmacy which supplies some of the hospitals and the smaller pharmacies. I have to use Tramadol sometimes though it is not my favorite medicine. Last time we got it the pharmacist told us that they were only getting supplied limited amounts so that they were reserving it for those who needed it and that I did not need to worry as he knew that with my amputation pain and fractures I need it. He is very particular about recording the supply and the reasons in his register.

I think others further down the chain may be even more restrictive.

Edited by harrry

Tinidazole is sometimes called Tindamax or Fasigyn as a trade name (in the pharmacy). It is an antibiotic which is especially used for parasitic infections caused by amoebae (tiny one-celled creatures which can live in the gut and cause diarrhoea, although parasites can live in other parts of the body). It is from the same family as metronidazole (Flagyl...which used to be used a lot for gum infections, and is still used for some parasitical infections). One severe side-effect of the Flagyl 'family' is that you CAN'T drink any alcohol with these drugs. Even a couple of pints of beer will cause nausea, sweating and headaches, much like ANTABUSE which is an older drug used to treat alcoholism.

ULTRACET is a mixture of tramadol and paracetamol. As such, it is a useful drug for moderate pain. Tramadol alone is stronger, and may make you feel a bit woozy. As Sheryl says, it is not as addictive as some pain-killers, and is not as addictive as morphine and other opiates. Paracetamol itself is a very useful drug indeed, for "milder" pain and also reducing fever during flu (etc.). It is also very cheap. Tylenol is only paracetamol. Sara in 7-11 is also paracetamol. You can buy 100 paracetamol for 40 baht in pharmacies. Never, ever take paracetamol like candy. It is very heavy on the liver. 2 tablets every 4-6 hours should be the limit.

TRAMADOL (and ultracet) are useful if you GET A BAD STOMACH from Brufen (Ibuprofen), Aspirin etc. Quite a few pain-killers and drugs for arthritis can worsen gastritis, indigestion and can cause stomach ulcers long-term. Brufen, for example, is well-known to do this in drinkers and to the elderly. Because of this, some doctors (especially in Spain and other parts of Europe) use Tramadol quite a lot. Tramadol is quite strong but is gentle on the stomach lining. The last time I was in Spain, it could be bought OTC (over the counter).

I am not sure of the OTC situation in Thailand. In countries where tramadol is restricted, Ultracet (the mix..with paracetamol) can sometimes be bought OTC.

Eddy

Edited by pauleddy

Pharmacy next to where I was staying in Pattaya recently was selling Tramadol and sleepers. I had actually asked for Tramadol on the off chance and was asked 50mg or 100mg.........They didn't have the modified release ones.

• Like 1

Tindol, i buy this in Pattaya in the chemist opposite Friendship supermarket.

I used to buy tramadol there but when they could not get this no more they recommended Tindol.

I take this for pain in my hands and feet. Since my first post i tried to find this on the internet but could not find it anywhere.

For me it is as good as tramadol i take one 50mg capsule per night.

post-203732-0-77663600-1397580507_thumb.

Ibuprofen is my miracle drug. It doesn't bother my stomach.

The two times in my life I've had injuries needing strong pain killers, the ones with narcotics didn't help me. Ibuprofen saved the day.

Ibuprofen reduces swelling. I read once in a major medical journal an article by a doctor who claimed that all pain is caused by swelling. Who knows?

I had a root canal not long ago where there was a lot of pain and swelling when I went in. The dentist prescribed a high powered narcotic based pain killer (Darvacet or something?) and I didn't even go get it. I went on Ibuprofen and was fine.

The problem is that Tramadol cocktails (Tramadol + Coca Cola) have become a popular recreational drug amongst the youth in Thailand. Since a schoolboy overdosed on Tramadol Cocktail at a school in Samut Prakarn in August last year, they have clamped down on it as Tramadol is an opiate.

Why is it that when discussing some medicine, we have to take an example of people knowingly abusing it? Anything can be used in a wrong way. Take sniffing glues for instance. Should they be banned?

People who want screw their heads, go ahead. Tramadol is an analgesic so it muffles whatever is going on in a body. It is not recommended for young people anyway.

What comes to overdose, it is far from being very effective way to depart this world. Although, for people already suffering from liver problems or similar it is also not recommended.

You say that it has become popular among the young people? One dead? Any links or it didn't happen.

• Like 1

Now that i cannot get Tramadol i use TINDOL which i can get very easily, same price.

That's probably a brand name for generic Tramadol Hydrocloride 50mg. I've seen it called all sorts of things. Just look on the back for the generic name. Bob's you uncle!

It is not a brand name for tramadol in Thailand. It is not a brand name for any drug in Thailand, period. So either he is outside Thailand or misspelled the name.

post 23 contains a photograph of medicine called just that. It also says it is tramadol. The pack has Thai writing on it. Maybe a new brand?