How do other nationalities view Thais and Thailand

laolover88

I am not talking about the endlessly re-iterated gripes, views and admiration of us who live or have lived here.

I think everyone has some inkling of national stereotypes that are used pretty much inanely...Germans are efficient, French are snooty, Americans are methodical and stupid..you'll like that!!!, Chinese are, to westerners, 'inscrutable' etc.

Of course there are numerous people who have no idea where Thailand is. But I wonder how do, say Malaysians, Singaporeans, Chinese, Japanese, Koreans view Thailand and Thais?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a malaysian female friend.....she ranks thailand at the bottom of this part of asia, she says that thais only care about money......looks down on the mentality.....funny to mention though ....she regularly goes on holiday to phuket for diving.......so.....

Have a malaysian female friend.....she ranks thailand at the bottom of this part of asia, she says that thais only care about money......looks down on the mentality.....funny to mention though ....she regularly goes on holiday to phuket for diving.......so.....

She probably has lot of personal issues to even comment..................one way or another. Life is what we make it. The end.

• Like 1

She probably has lot of personal issues to even comment..................one way or another. Life is what we make it. The end.
Well....her father is very sick now...so u correct about personal issues. Lucky you are a stable factor in Thailand without personal issues, most likely.

According to her there are 4 categories of countries in this part of Asia....

A) singapore, south korea, japan and china

B) malaysia, india

C) thailand, vietnam, indonesia

D) Birma, Laos, Cambodia

As a Malay she wrote me this. Just her opinion. Need to say that she is an educated woman, travelled and has a good job at an international company.

I only write down what she told me so its not my opinion.

Edited by benalibina
  • Like 2

This has to be correct as,

What I heard while canvassing other nationalities,

it's cheap here.

it's = their necessary living requirements, were VERY low.

I have a friend living here 15 years, he pays 700 baht a month rent for a big townhouse, and gets around his bubble very inexpensively, and he lives like a miser.

But back home, the older women think, undeage promiscuity, and the men, all tell me, they've been here, and want to share stories from 6-10 years ago,

its getting more interesting

There are many things to love Thailand for and

Many things to be disgusted about Thailand for -

Firm views by three other Asians I know. Not enough for statistics being significant...

Will keep looking for more Asian friends.

Koreans look down at the Thais thinking of them as "low".

Do you know how many Korean companies in Thailand use Thai engineers? Do you even know how many Korean companies are in Thailand? My wife works with Korean managers and owners of other Thai business on a daily basis. Do you know how many Koreans come to Thailand to play golf and have vacation homes here?

According to her there are 4 categories of countries in this part of Asia....

A) singapore, south korea, japan and china

cool.png malaysia, india

C) thailand, vietnam, indonesia

D) Birma, Laos, Cambodia

As a Malay she wrote me this. Just her opinion. Need to say that she is an educated woman, travelled and has a good job at an international company.

I only write down what she told me so its not my opinion.

Interesting that your friend put India in the second group, ahead of Thailand. Makes me wonder if she's ever been there.

• Like 1

A common derogatory comment made to me by citizens of Korea ,China Vietnam,Malaysia,Singapore,Taiwan,Indonesia ,Burma ,Cambodia and India is that Thai's are known as the ''Jackals of S E Asia'' mainly its about the business ethics of Thailand but also based on mai pen rai attitudes and ignorance and xenophobia of other peoples cultures among many Thai,s

The only places I never heard this expression was Phillipines

Most people in most countries do not give Thailand or Thais a second thought. They literally have no opinion because they know nothing of the country nor its people. The only folks who rate thailand are the ones who live there or visitors

• Like 2

Last time I was in Spain on a holiday A waiter asked me where I lived....I told him Thailand...... I don't like Thai people he said.....Why.....I asked......They eat anything .....he said.

Sometimes I'm reminded of him when I see fish heads been gulped down.

read professor thongchai's very relevant stuff on thaicentrism (google it, unless they've banned him for thinking). He, being a Thai, deals with thai ethnocentrism and the views of thailand by other asean countries with some credibility. Like other Thais who have been critical of history, culture or politics in the kingdom he now works overseas - in a US university, I think..

• Like 2

Koreans look down at the Thais thinking of them as "low".

Do you know how many Korean companies in Thailand use Thai engineers? Do you even know how many Korean companies are in Thailand? My wife works with Korean managers and owners of other Thai business on a daily basis. Do you know how many Koreans come to Thailand to play golf and have vacation homes here?

Well....its good to know that the thais hold the birmese people in high regard !!

I always hear:

1) Sexy and easy women.

2) Women who like older white men.

3) Friendly people.

4) Thai people like to party.

5) Beautiful and exotic country,

6) Ladyboys

7) Education of Thai's are low.

Spot on. Maybe add Thai massage and Thai food and that's pretty much what most outsiders think of Thailand.

• Like 1