How do other nationalities view Thais and Thailand

laolover88

The new slang in the UK and Europe right now, is to "Thai" someone--meaning to cheat or lie to someone; usually the phrase is expressed by the victim, as in, "Don't Thai ME, you scumbag!"

Apparently, the Pattaya and Patong predators on tourists are making headway in creating a major international image of Thailand.

• Like 1

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thais have a different way of thinking. I'm not implying anything good or bad there, but they absolutely have a unique way of doing things. Meanwhile, most of the people from neighboring countries have an attitude that's more similar to what you find in the west. In turn, they seem to have a lot of the same frustrations with Thais that you tend to see expressed on this forum.

A different way of thinking? Like what?

Not an easy question to answer in a short amount of time. But there have certainly been numerous posts (and a few legit novels) on the topic. Off the top of my head, I'd say the most glaring example is Thais don't like to (or just can't) be straightforward. This probably leads a lot of people to suspect Thais aren't being honest with them.I don't have a lot of time at the moment to go into detail, but if you've been here for any amount of time, you know what I'm talking about.

Again, not implying anything good or bad here. Not saying anyone's better or worse. Just different. I'm well aware for every foreigner that complains about this indirect interaction, there's at least ten Thais wondering why foreigners are so direct and need to know details about everything.

My Thai doctor, "Stop eating or your stomach will kill you."

Thai wife, "Chain up your dog or I chop her head off."

Thai Mia noi, "If you really love me you would buy me a new car."

Thai massage shop, "you want me to take shower?

Ya those Thais. Never know what they mean.

• Like 1

I am Malaysian living in Malaysia but my late grandma was from Pattani, Thailand. Over the years, I have made several trips to Thailand and different parts North and South but yet to cover more ground.

Anyway, my comment is that Thailand has a large population and most of them are lesser educated and can't really speak English.

However, if you get to know them, they are quite helpful and will go all out to help others like in my country too which the outisder might say receiving double standards.

Having enough money for a living, is also similar to Indonesia and the other places even in the Phillipines. Most Singapoereans think quite highly of themselves and think their ASEAN neighbours are low, but I have also met quite a number of nice Singaporeans and I also have relatives from this place.

If you are applying the European standard, here it would seem not good enough for housing, education, life etc. Everybody has to work hard, hold two or three jobs to make a living and many do not go to school if the school is far from their village.

I like to go to Thailand not because it is cheaper, it is not for me as Malaysians but food wise worth every penny if you like seafood and clothing. The places I have been - nowadays after the tsunami money is hard earned so they don't wear nice clothes or like to wear makeup because everything has gone up in the last three years.Malaysia and Singapore still lucky because the country is mall in size and the economy is stronger. I have even interviewed some girls in vice and they did this because their father owes the triad money and the girl i being taken away to pay for the father's debts and after a number of years, she is free to go and start a new life with a new identity because she doesn't want her husband to know about her past. Girls are a commodity in Thailand because of the lucrative business. Guys prefer to work at food stalls and many go to other countries to set up Tom Yum stalls.

I am glad I was born in Malaysia becaue I could get a fine education, life, housing, work opportunities and many more.. No hardship like Thais or Indonesians and Filipinos.

I am sure some of you out there share my sentiments.

Thanks,

• Like 2

The new slang in the UK and Europe right now, is to "Thai" someone--meaning to cheat or lie to someone; usually the phrase is expressed by the victim, as in, "Don't Thai ME, you scumbag!"

Apparently, the Pattaya and Patong predators on tourists are making headway in creating a major international image of Thailand.

I would think the readers of Thai Visa with 7 million page views has far more impact than word of mouth by tourists.

Edited by thailiketoo

My family and friends who have visited here loves everything about Thailand. But: they take a limo from airport to a 4-5 star hotel; book tours inside the hotel; walk ten meters from AC hotel to AC tour bus; get ripped off for a small tour, a Thai lunch and return to their 4-5 star AC hotel. They then go back home and tell others how wonderful Thailand and it's people are. After living here for many years I too think Thailand and it's people are great but with many reservations. I was never a part of that group as I never had the funds. Was earning $95/month plus combat pay but thought I was in high cotton when R&R Thailand back in the day.

• Like 1

Thais have a different way of thinking. I'm not implying anything good or bad there, but they absolutely have a unique way of doing things. Meanwhile, most of the people from neighboring countries have an attitude that's more similar to what you find in the west. In turn, they seem to have a lot of the same frustrations with Thais that you tend to see expressed on this forum.

A different way of thinking? Like what?

Not an easy question to answer in a short amount of time. But there have certainly been numerous posts (and a few legit novels) on the topic. Off the top of my head, I'd say the most glaring example is Thais don't like to (or just can't) be straightforward. This probably leads a lot of people to suspect Thais aren't being honest with them.I don't have a lot of time at the moment to go into detail, but if you've been here for any amount of time, you know what I'm talking about.

Again, not implying anything good or bad here. Not saying anyone's better or worse. Just different. I'm well aware for every foreigner that complains about this indirect interaction, there's at least ten Thais wondering why foreigners are so direct and need to know details about everything.

I'll give doctors a pass and hope they're to the point most of the time. But your other three examples involve Thais getting what they want out of you. Turn that around and you're dealing with a different animal.

I would think the readers of Thai Visa with 7 million page views has far more impact than word of mouth by tourists.

I would think not.

An inflated view of TV's impact.

The simple laws of replication of an idea by word-of-mouth far outweighs the impact of what simply people read (who probably don't pass on to others everything they read).

• Like 1

I'll give doctors a pass and hope they're to the point most of the time. But your other three examples involve Thais getting what they want out of you. Turn that around and you're dealing with a different animal.

My Thai dog dog, "If you can't play with it or eat it pee on it."

Me to my Mia noi, "Stop waiving to me and jumping up and down and saying, owee oweee, in the supermarket."

Me to Thai Massage shop, "I know you already took a shower but take another one for me, eh?"

Edited by thailiketoo
  • Like 1

I would think not.

The simple laws of replication of an idea by word-of-mouth far outweighs the impact of what simply people read (who probably don't pass on to others everything they read).

Do you think google will agree with you?

Nine years ago today (year ago), Google Inc. started trading on the public markets at $85 a share. The stock price has since risen by more than 900% through Friday’s close, and at last glance was trading north of $870.

Unlike other countries having already established their own places in the world system under the "white-man's burden" mission in the 19th century, Thais today are just in the process of self-identifination, which has been in turn delayed for more than a century.

That we are now asking how other nationalities view Thais and Thailand is self-explanatory, though.

How is it "self explanatory" One of my impressions of Thailand is that Thais find it hard to explain anything. You know: where is that restaurant we went to yesterday? Oh, maybe, its on the street over there by the bank round the corner by the blue house. Not"

• Like 1

I would think not.

Nine years ago today (year ago), Google Inc. started trading on the public markets at $85 a share. The stock price has since risen by more than 900% through Fridays close, and at last glance was trading north of $870.

Aha...now i know why this site is sometimes very slow.....will do a survey in my neighbourhood and ask what there opinions are about thailand and where they got it from.....u better short google quickly..... Edited by benalibina

Unlike other countries having already established their own places in the world system under the "white-man's burden" mission in the 19th century, Thais today are just in the process of self-identifination, which has been in turn delayed for more than a century.

That we are now asking how other nationalities view Thais and Thailand is self-explanatory, though.

How is it "self explanatory" One of my impressions of Thailand is that Thais find it hard to explain anything. You know: where is that restaurant we went to yesterday? Oh, maybe, its on the street over there by the bank round the corner by the blue house. Not"

You do know Thailand did not lose an airplane last month? Thailand did not have a ferry run aground last night?

Gee, there are thousands of Thai pilots and boat captains that do a good job every day. And I don't see a lot of Thais who can't find the market, Wat or Lotus?

Did you ever ask for directions in America?

I would think not.

Nine years ago today (year ago), Google Inc. started trading on the public markets at $85 a share. The stock price has since risen by more than 900% through Friday’s close, and at last glance was trading north of $870.

Again, you have some major logic gaps. How did we go from TV's seven million views to the price of Google stock?

You assume that people actively researching Thai-reputation-related information will surpass the laws of replication of word-of-mouth (in this day and age, we extend "word of mouth" to also include electronic transmission of ideas from individual-to-individual).

I believe you have need of some basic education in marketing principles which include the replication principle. Replication is powerful. It's a statistical axiom. Google it.

Edited by Fookhaht

Dear Fookhaht,

The impact of electronic word of mouth on a tourism destination choice is far more significant than you imply.

It is not my intention to educate you but check out Google adsense If you want to know why Google's stock price has risen 900%. Or http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/503292-getting-approved-for-adsense-in-thailand/

I think you will find among INTERNET marketing gurus that Thai Visa has an enormous impact on attitudes about Thailand.

Edited by thailiketoo

Dear Fookhaht,

The impact of electronic word of mouth on a tourism destination choice is far more significant than you imply.

It is not my intention to educate you but check out Google adsense If you want to know why Google's stock price has risen 900%. Or http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/503292-getting-approved-for-adsense-in-thailand/

I think you will find among INTERNET marketing gurus that Thai Visa has an enormous impact on attitudes about Thailand.

I believe we're going astray from the protagonist's original assertion: that 7 million page views on one website (TV) eclipse word of mouth dissemination of information.

I included "electronic" word-of-mouth (did you read my last post?). The poster simply referred to page views. That's people who may glance at a page without reading, read a smidgeon, or thoroughly digest the page. If he wants to extrapolate from there with some statistics on how that information is further communicated from the reading stage, fine. But he hasn't.

Meanwhile, word-of-mouth (virtual or real) eclipses all other means of getting the word out--it's the law of replication as applied to marketing.

Yes, Thai Visa has got a lot of members and posts, but it's not the be-all, end-all of Thailand's image to the world. I'm sure that George likes your take on it, however, as he rings up some more potential advertisers.

Edited by Fookhaht

Dear Fookhaht,

I believe we're going astray from the protagonist's original assertion: that 7 million page views on one website (TV) eclipse word of mouth dissemination of information.

I included "electronic" word-of-mouth (did you read my last post?). The poster simply referred to page views. That's people who may glance at a page without reading, read a smidgeon, or thoroughly digest the page. If he wants to extrapolate from there with some statistics on how that information is further communicated from the reading stage, fine. But he hasn't.

Meanwhile, word-of-mouth (virtual or real) eclipses all other means of getting the word out--it's the law of replication as applied to marketing.

Yes, Thai Visa has got a lot of members and posts, but it's not the be-all, end-all of Thailand's image to the world. I'm sure that George likes your take on it, however, as he rings up some more potential advertisers.

I was including electronic word of mouth and only mentioned the 7 million page views for comparison with other web sites. I think electronic word of mouth is much more important than real word of mouth where Thailand is concerned.

You wrote, "Apparently, the Pattaya and Patong predators on tourists are making headway in creating a major international image of Thailand." I don't think so.

I think the negative impressions are from phony word of mouth views written on various web sites.

I think there is a disinformation campaign being conducted against Thailand on the INTERNET that is more damaging than the actual experiences of tourists and those tourists telling others in person, of their bad experiences.

If you give me the choice of news source I can make black seem white or bad seem good with no problem at all and I think that is what is going on about the reputation of Thailand among other things.

I suspect it's not a very specific language and is filled with vague inferences. You see this refelected in the fact that people rarely use pronouns when speaking (or even in writing) Thai. Just last week, a Thai friend (with a Ph.D in applied lingusitics) made a call for me about renting a house. She was on the phone for nearly ten minutes and when she hung up she admitted she wasn't sure what the person was talking about...

I've heard it called "high-context", but that would imply people understand what others are saying, which I suspect is not always the case. Having worked with Thais for three years, I can tell you when they set out to do something together, the plan is usually very general and almost seems made up as things go along. It's like no one knows for sure what the person in charage intends to do and just kinda follows their lead.

I think what Thiravet is referring to is that Thais are just now starting to play nice with western nations and are behind their neighbors in that regard. There has been and still is a "don't follow the foreigners" undertone running through Thai society. Ask your Thai friends about it and they'll fill you in, albiet with sugar coating. They're fairly proud of the fact that they were never colonized.

You wrote, "Apparently, the Pattaya and Patong predators on tourists are making headway in creating a major international image of Thailand." I don't think so.

I think the negative impressions are from phony word of mouth views written on various web sites.

I think there is a disinformation campaign being conducted against Thailand on the INTERNET that is more damaging than the actual experiences of tourists and those tourists telling others in person, of their bad experiences.

If you give me the choice of news source I can make black seem white or bad seem good with no problem at all and I think that is what is going on about the reputation of Thailand among other things.

OMG, you must not have visited either place, in order to have developed such a serious eye disorder.....post-108400-0-28040300-1397719459_thumb.

Until you've been physically threatened by the tuk-tuk mafia in Phuket, for instance, (as I have)...

Or charged outrageous songthaew charges to go a few kilometers (as I have)...

Or chased off the beach by turf-guarding beach-chair kings who saw you sitting too close to their territory (as I have)...

Or have been the victim of double-standard pricing (as I have)...

(shall I go on?)

.......you have no grounds for painting such a rosy picture.

I posit that the online complaints are but a fraction of the actual predatory practices on tourists in both places.

Edited by Fookhaht

OMG, you must not have visited either place, in order to have developed such a serious eye disorder.....attachicon.gifrose-tinted-glasses.jpeg

Until you've been physically threatened by the tuk-tuk mafia in Phuket, for instance, (as I have)...

Or charged outrageous songthaew charges to go a few kilometers (as I have)...

Or chased off the beach by turf-guarding beach-chair kings who saw you sitting too close to their territory (as I have)...

Or have been the victim of double-standard pricing (as I have)...

(shall I go on?)

.......you have no grounds for painting such a rosy picture.

I posit that the online complaints are but a fraction of the actual predatory practices on tourists in both places.

Oh heck why didn't you say so. Anyone who lives in Phuket or anywhere around Phuket ought to have their head examined. I was talking about the rest of Thailand. Sorry.sorry.gif

Scarpolo - "I have a friend living here 15 years, he pays 700 baht a month rent for a big townhouse, and gets around his bubble very inexpensively, and he lives like a miser."

And where is this big townhouse for 700bht a month?

sorry, misquote

its 7,000 baht,

jet jet gow

I accept the misquote - and now, where is this townhouse located?

"They're fairly proud of the fact that they were never colonized."

The Japanese walked all over them during WW2. They could have colonised/conquered them if they did not have more important things on their mind. "never colonised" is just word play!

• Like 1

"They're fairly proud of the fact that they were never colonized."

The Japanese walked all over them during WW2. They could have colonised/conquered them if they did not have more important things on their mind. "never colonised" is just word play!

I believe the term is ally. The Japanese helped Thailand win their war against France (Franco Thai war); allowed them to attack and occupy parts of Burma and paid them for using Thai assets during the war.

You do know Thailand did not lose an airplane last month? Thailand did not have a ferry run aground last night?

Gee, there are thousands of Thai pilots and boat captains that do a good job every day. And I don't see a lot of Thais who can't find the market, Wat or Lotus?

Finding your way somewhere is not the same as explaining to someone how to get there!!

Finding your way somewhere is not the same as explaining to someone how to get there!!

That is what the end of the video is about. I guess you didn't watch it. Always a good idea to look at a post before commenting on it.biggrin.png

Edited by thailiketoo

My friends in Japan say ....interested in this!

They say:

1. Thais obsessed with food. No wonder so many fat people

2. Thais extraordinately conservative. Dress, hairstyles, clothes, behaviour

3. Thais obsessed with uniforms

4. If Thais have an ID card and house paper..rigorous forms of social control..then they can do anything they want ie. freedom within the gaol.

My friends in Japan say ....interested in this!

They say:

1. Thais obsessed with food. No wonder so many fat people

2. Thais extraordinately conservative. Dress, hairstyles, clothes, behaviour

3. Thais obsessed with uniforms

4. If Thais have an ID card and house paper..rigorous forms of social control..then they can do anything they want ie. freedom within the gaol.

Have you ever been to Japan? Talk about a country with a uniform fetish!cheesy.gif

post-187908-0-25244500-1397747258_thumb.

• Like 1

once I worked with burmese staff, I used to talk about thais with them

one of them told me once thai man is like a dog

if you say to a dog come here with an empty hand the dog won´t come

if you say to a dog come here showing a bone the dog will come

since they have fought repeated wars aganst eachother for 3,000 years, can you get us a sample, from a more unbiased source?