If a farang refers me to a school for a job does he get commission?

I just had an offer from a farang teacher to take me to the private school where he was teaching last semester to help me with get a job. I'm assuming he will introduce me to the boss and he says its highly likely I will get a job this way.

Does he get tea money for doing this assuming I get the job? More importantly, does this then cost me in some way? If he is paid a referral fee will it mean that I will get less money when negotiating the monthly salary.

I don't mind if the guy earns commission where it doesn't cost me. If it does, I would be better off going there on my own accord.

Opinions are appreciated

If he WAS teaching there last semester, but not this semester, then you may need to wonder why he is no longer working there. Maybe he will not be a good person to introduce you.

You only need to concern yourself with the terms of your contract, if you are successful. Don't worry about other people, it's none of your business.

• Like 1

There might be a few guys who take a "fee" for getting you a job, which wouldn't bother me.

Something you should be more concerned about is those "agents" who receive a percentage of your monthly salary for the whole time you're working there.

So if you know the school, just go for an interview. Good luck.-wai2.gif

It does happen sometimes. My employer will give me a very small payment if I bring in a quality teacher who passes probation. No money changes hands until he completes 90 days and has passed several formal in informal evaluations. This 'token' payment is a one-off and it has absolutely no impact on the salary of the teacher brought in. That'entirely up the teacher and his negotiating ability.

depends on the situation and his agreement with the school. Maybe yes but most likely no.

If you're curious, ask him.

If yes, then treat the situation as if he was an agent.

Do your homework on the school and not just your friends

assessment of the school and situation.

( I'm assuming he's a friend )

Just my 2 cents :)

Some schools will only employ through an agent. I worked for the local agent in my 1st year. Many other schools she provided for needed teachers and we were given a referral fee of 5-10k. I am not a fan of agents in general but mine was very helpful, if the school refused to buy us basics to make teaching materials my agent would buy. The starting salary was better than what i would be able to negotiate, wp and visa paid for. Just a word of warning try to make sure the school offers a 12month contract. 3months with no pay (bear in mind your work permit states you must not work elsewhere) can be very difficult

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Or he maybe trying to help the school find his replacement .. Maybe he us leaving for some reason but still likes the place and is trying to help them...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can only give a view of my own experience. I and one other guy left a school in Roiet in March, i took in 2 resumes and gave them to my old boss. I did this to help her ( she was a good boss, and i liked the school), and because the replacements were a husband and wife team who obviously wanted to work in the same school if possible. They got the jobs, i received nothing, and don't want to, i don't think we should receive payment for favours. There are some though that try to charge for locating teachers, in fact they are situated in the same town (they want 50% of the first months salary).and they're teachers too!

• 2 weeks later...

This most certainly does happen. The last job I had was landed following a talk with a teacher from another school . he recieved 1,000 baht per teacher for the first year we were employed (3 of us). he is still doing the same but now charges 10,000 baht per job which has to be paid before the job is taken up. I actually referred a friend for this but was not told about the 10,000. It made me feel extremely silly when my friend told me. This is not an agent, it is a teacher acting as one.

I get 10,000 Baht for finding a teacher. This has no impact on the teachers salary.

I'm still looking for 3 more teachers if anyone's interested?

Pm me for details..

I see absolutely nothing wrong with this. As long as the money is not paid by the teacher it is fine. However, if a teacher needs to pay a fellow teacher for a position then it is wrong.

If <script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

This most certainly does happen. The last job I had was landed following a talk with a teacher from another school . he recieved 1,000 baht per teacher for the first year we were employed (3 of us). he is still doing the same but now charges 10,000 baht per job which has to be paid before the job is taken up. I actually referred a friend for this but was not told about the 10,000. It made me feel extremely silly when my friend told me. This is not an agent, it is a teacher acting as one.

If another teacher were to refer a teacher to me they would get 3000 baht from me. I don't hide the fact that I get a commission. I have been at the school a long time and I see it as one of my "perks". The school I work for used to use an agency and pay them 10,000 baht per teacher, but the teachers were usually not up to standard.

If <script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

If another teacher were to refer a teacher to me they would get 3000 baht from me. I don't hide the fact that I get a commission. I have been at the school a long time and I see it as one of my "perks". The school I work for used to use an agency and pay them 10,000 baht per teacher, but the teachers were usually not up to standard.

That sounds fair, I would rather find a teacher for a school I worked in, but I am not sure about being paid to help my school find a teacher. If the school are heppy fair play though.