Three AA meetings in CM?

aTomsLife

Hey everyone,

I have reason to be concerned about my drinking and am looking into attending AA. Noticed there are three separate meetings though. I would have no problem checking each one out, but I figure maybe I can get some good info here.

There's the:

• Back to Basics Group
  • Chiang Mai International Group
  • Chiang Mai West Group

I live closest to Back to Basics, and it says there's a beginner's meeting at 6:00 pm on Fridays. That might be a good start.

Any other comments or suggestions? Thanks.

• Like 1

The web site jarhead gives you has 30 meetings a week on it. I would strongly suggest you go to the next one available. 2 in the morning and two at night. All meetings are for beginners. Also for old timers makes no difference. The sooner you go the sooner you can stop worrying about your drinking. You will find that you are not alone. We come from all walks of life and all the different strata s of society. Yet in AA we are equals.

For me it is when my life started. I was just a walking shell when I walked in the door. But that was me. You will find that every one has their own story maybe one just like you. Makes no difference we all have found a way out of what we thought was a hopeless cause.

• Like 2

Thanks for the info, guys.

I read the steps last night and I can see how they relate to someone with a daily habit. Hopefully they can do me some good, too, but my issue is not being able to stop once I get going (meeting someone for "two or three" ends up being a dozen, and the poor judgement to go with it). Though I can go weeks at a time without a drink if for whatever reason I'm not in the mood for the first one.

All I know is that when I'm sober I don't encounter the kinds of problems, nor the risky situations I do when I'm drunk. Starting to feel like I'm playing Russian roulette.

• Like 1

I read the steps last night and I can see how they relate to someone with a daily habit. Hopefully they can do me some good, too, but my issue is not being able to stop once I get going (meeting someone for "two or three" ends up being a dozen, and the poor judgement to go with it). Though I can go weeks at a time without a drink if for whatever reason I'm not in the mood for the first one.

All I know is that when I'm sober I don't encounter the kinds of problems, nor the risky situations I do when I'm drunk. Starting to feel like I'm playing Russian roulette.

Read them with an open mind and you will see how they can relate to any one if the word alcoholic is replaced with another word.

As I said we all have are own stories to tell many different. I can not relate to most of them as it was a daily occurrence with a black out every night. But I can relate to not being able to stop. Go to some meetings with an open mind and you may meet people with the same story as you. Alcohol has caused problems in all are lives.

On the other hand if you are not interested that is OK also many of us came were not interested and left. Only to come back some times years later. Less family and material things. Or are health. That is the beauty of the whole thing you can do as you wish there is no musts just suggestions.

Not for me to say but you sound like a binge drinker. The hardest kind to admit they are an alcoholic.

Good luck with what ever you decide on.

• Like 1

Thanks Carl. I'm not here to play semantics: I know I'm a binge drinker and that that is a form of alcoholism. To me, an alcoholic is someone who can't control their drinking and is thus controlled by it. Even if only infrequently.

If drinking tomato juice endangered my life, on average, once every three months, I'd be smart enough never to drink it again. If only quitting booze was as easy of a decision. But everyone knows it's not just about the alcohol, but the social life that goes with it.

Thanks Khwai, found that board last night but didn't know which to post in, since my question was also CM-centric. At this point if the mods want to move it over there, I'd be fine with that.

• Like 2

I know that Mckormic hospital has AA meetings there. I think they are 2 times a day 9:30AM and 6:30PM. There are meetings in the big park Suan Buak Had but don't know when. There are also meetings at some restuarant. There are some strong personalities in CM AA and thus have a very diversive meeting style. I like one philosophy they claim though, principles before personalities. Try to ignore the people and listen to the message.

You will not be judge by how much or how often you drink. You will have fellowship that will show you that you can live a life without the need for drinking.

There are also AA meetings online if you are more shy.

Good luck. I know that it can be hard to start on a path that is different from what you are used to.

Have you googled AA thailand or AA Aisa try it you might get lucky if not go to your local hospital they will be able to advise you.

Unknown friend I wish you well good on you for taking that first step the hardest step of them all......be strong you have conceeded you may have a problem that's half the battle won......

Well done

ps: if ever you want a chat send me a private message am no expert on these things but am a good listener

I stopped drinking many years ago for the exact same reason . I didn't drink often but when I did I would not stop until I was feeling no pain and the thought process was debilitated . I did nt go to AA . I just made the decision to stop and never start again . I feel much better, lifes a lot more fun . I do get some funny looks when I go to a bar and order a coke or water .. Now if I could do the same with nicotine I d be 100 % ... Great for you to take charge of your own life and I wish you the best best .....

• Like 1

If all else fails, talk to another alcoholic.

Carry the message, not the mess.

There are only two kinds of alcoholic....men and women.

Just don't drink...TODAY, just Today. Put a few of those together, you've got a good start on a winning streak.

Etc.

Best wishes to the OP. It's really hard to suck it up and walk in that door for the first time, especially if you walk in alone. But it's definitely worth a try.

With strong determination and will, you can do it! Don't give up ya smile.png

Na

Alcohol is a disease. Next time you get diarrhea try strong will and determination.

Get back to us with the results.

Actually the history behind defining it as a disease is full of pitfalls and manipulation. An article from Baldwin Research Institute. A snippet below.

Early in the 20th Century, the validity of the disease concept was often debated in medical circles. However, in 1956 the American Medical Association (AMA) proclaimed alcoholism an "illness." Then, in 1966, the AMA proclaimed alcoholism a disease. The decision was embroiled in controversy. Historically, Marty Mann had her hand in much of this and manipulated information and doctors into agreeing with the disease concept. Marty Mann used her position as founder of the NCA (National Counsel for Alcoholism) to promote the disease concept through Jellinek and the founder of the NIAAA (National Institute for Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse) whose founder worked with Marty Mann during the institute's early development. The founder of NIAAA, R. Brinkley Smithers, was a major contributor to, and promoter of, the disease concept. It was his money that actually funded Jellinek's work at Yale. Smithers was also responsible for gaining insurance coverage for patients in treatment (hence the 28 day program.) Smithers was certainly not altruistic in his efforts. At that time he had already launched a treatment program for which he was lobbying for insurance payments. Acceptance by the medical community was the only way this could happen; alcoholism had to be a medical problem in order for medical insurance to pay for programs. We can see the influence of these "advances" everyday in treatment programs. Today, the treatment industry is a multi-billion dollar industry, with insurance paying the lion's share of the costs. [Author’s note: In 2008, insurance companies paid for approximately 40% of those who underwent alcohol and drug treatment. By 2008 “the lion’s share” of the cost of drug and alcohol treatment was paid by private payers.]

Read more here - Baldwin Research

• Like 1

With strong determination and will, you can do it! Don't give up ya smile.png

Na

Alcohol is a disease. Next time you get diarrhea try strong will and determination.

Get back to us with the results.

Actually the history behind defining it as a disease is full of pitfalls and manipulation. An article from Baldwin Research Institute. A snippet below.

Early in the 20th Century, the validity of the disease concept was often debated in medical circles. However, in 1956 the American Medical Association (AMA) proclaimed alcoholism an "illness." Then, in 1966, the AMA proclaimed alcoholism a disease. The decision was embroiled in controversy. Historically, Marty Mann had her hand in much of this and manipulated information and doctors into agreeing with the disease concept. Marty Mann used her position as founder of the NCA (National Counsel for Alcoholism) to promote the disease concept through Jellinek and the founder of the NIAAA (National Institute for Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse) whose founder worked with Marty Mann during the institute's early development. The founder of NIAAA, R. Brinkley Smithers, was a major contributor to, and promoter of, the disease concept. It was his money that actually funded Jellinek's work at Yale. Smithers was also responsible for gaining insurance coverage for patients in treatment (hence the 28 day program.) Smithers was certainly not altruistic in his efforts. At that time he had already launched a treatment program for which he was lobbying for insurance payments. Acceptance by the medical community was the only way this could happen; alcoholism had to be a medical problem in order for medical insurance to pay for programs. We can see the influence of these "advances" everyday in treatment programs. Today, the treatment industry is a multi-billion dollar industry, with insurance paying the lion's share of the costs. [Author’s note: In 2008, insurance companies paid for approximately 40% of those who underwent alcohol and drug treatment. By 2008 “the lion’s share” of the cost of drug and alcohol treatment was paid by private payers.]

Read more here - Baldwin Research

Being some what of an amateur history buff I am interested in the history.

Wish there had been more dates when these people came on the scene.

I have heard that there are insurance policies not paying the cost for the 28 day spin dry treatment centers.

The bottom line to a real alcoholic is it doesn't matter if they can find a way off the merry go round.

AA is one way that worked for me. On the I drink to much thread their are other ways cited.

In AAs big book it talks about heavy drinkers ones that drink alcoholically stop for a good reason no problem.

It is not the amount it is what it does to you.

Thank you for the history lesson.

Have to get off my ass and look farther into it with ther names you have given.

I still maintain it is a disease and will power will not work any more on it than it will on diarrhea.

Of course I only have my own experience to draw on. Many agree with me.

Edited by big carl

I can't resist this old stupid line:

Yes, alcoholism is a disease. You catch it from a bar stool.

Seriously, it's at least a big problem for a lot of people and families. It's impossible to say for sure, but I think AA has a better record for helping people stay sober, than "treatment centers." If your drinking has become a problem for you, go to a meeting. It might help you.

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publications/AA71/AA71.htm

"In fact, statistics suggest that more alcoholics die of tobacco-related illness than die of alcohol related problems".....

There's a Nicotine Anonymous meeting at 7 Fountains. Saturday at 1 o'clock.

If you happen to find a THC Unanimous Meeting, please let me know.

The THC U! meeting is immediately after the McCormick AA meeting.

Edited by chiangmaiman99

I can't resist this old stupid line:

Yes, alcoholism is a disease. You catch it from a bar stool.

Seriously, it's at least a big problem for a lot of people and families. It's impossible to say for sure, but I think AA has a better record for helping people stay sober, than "treatment centers." If your drinking has become a problem for you, go to a meeting. It might help you.

Most treatment centers not all recommend AA or NA as a follow up program.

Many people have made treatment centers a substitute. I know one fellow who went through 15 of them before he came to AA. He is now sober over 10 years and has not had to go back to one since coming into the doors of AA.