Cashing Reimbursement Check

Lone American in KK

I've recently been in receipt of an insurance reimbursement check. However when I tried to cash it at my bank (Bangkok Bank) I was told I couldn't. Nor could I deposit it despite the fact that I have a savings account there (btw the insurance company Bangkok Insurance is affiliated with my bank).

The issue appears to be due to my savings account being a joint account and not solely in my name. Apparently stamped in English on the reimbursement check is the caveat "A/C Payee Only". And this is what is preventing the check from being cashed or even deposited.

I'm from the US and in a situation like this at the least I could deposit the check into a joint account, especially a savings account. I was told by the teller that in order to cash the check I'd have to open a new account (savings) in my name only. The amount is a paltry sum, only 3000 Bht. Opening an account in order to cash or deposit a check in such a small amount seems like overkill (not to mention inconvenient).

Does anyone know how I might be able to cash this check without having to open another savings account I don't need or desire? Would any one of the foreign currency exchange booths (here in Patong) be willing or able to cash such a check?

I think this is one of these situations where you need to keep asking someone else until you receive an answer you like -- even in the same office. Happens all the time in Thailand. I've deposited checks made out just to me into a joint account here, no problem. At Bangkok Bank.

Since the check is from a local source, is there some way you can contact the issuer of the check to ask them how to cash it? Maybe they'd cash it for you.

Edited by NancyL

It is a general Thai bank policy that many of us have run into. Doesn't matter if you are a Thai making a deposit of your check or a farang. You get the same answer.

I questioned Bangkok Bang via email on this and the home office reply said NO JOINT ACCTS was their policy.

But like NancyL says, sometimes if you persevere or know someone at your branch, you can get it done.

Yhe first time it happened to me wit CitiBank baht checks (and after BKK Bank said POLICY), I tried to email CitiBank with the question and go no reponse.

I gave up. Next time I get such a check, I will just open a separate account and link it to our joint account so I can transfer the funds on-line.

FACT I went to my BKK bank today...have superanuation cheque from OZ...government cheque...was told the following

They will take the cheque but could take 40 PLUS days to clear

YOUR cheque will be sent back to the bank that it is drawn against

YOU will pay a fee maybe 500 baht to have this done

FINALLY was told the cheque maybe be refused from the bank that it is drawn against.

THIS all happened to me TODAY