Thai Inability

thefusilier

Can anyone explain why Thais cannot seem to comprehend the concept of waiting in line for something? Is it actually beyond there ability to accept this?

I've lost track of how many times Thais have stepped in front of me waiting in line anywhere... restaraunts, to pay bills, stores, anything.

What is it?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When they do it, they sure know you know they did. I always stare at them, making them feel reaaal uncomfortable or stick my items on the counter while pushing theirs aside.

What beats me is why the cashiers don't simply ignore them knowing you and all others in queue were there first. :o

It's not just a Thai thing.

It happens in many countries that I have visited, the worst part is when an old middle east type lady pushes in and being the gentlemen that most of us are (or the well behaved lady) you turn a blind eye, next thing the 20 strong family are standing by her side.

Or when the Indian in front of you produces 20 passports at the transfer desk in ther airport.

Or perhaps the Aussie bloke that just got to the bar and is waving a 20 whilst your only waving a 10.

It is all annoying as heck, but to be honest if you do not stand up for yourself you are going to get walked over.

My old man told me one day that he has has enough and tends to stick his foot out at the right moment, not recommended but highly satisfying according to him.

Had that happen at passport control at Don Muang as I was making a departure. Middle Eastern lad and his 4 mates tried to push their way in front of the cue. Told him to get in back of the line and wait like everyone else. He still attempted to do so, and finally the Customs officer made him and his mates go to the very end of the cue. (20 deep by then) :o

More than a few times I have had Thai cashiers ignore people who pushed in front of me and take my goods. I find Thais on the whole pretty good about lining up--certainly not like some South Asian countries. I don't have a problem with shoving someones stuff aside if they butt in front. I don't do it agggressively, just move it to the side and they get the point.

It's not just a Thai thing.

It happens in many countries that I have visited, the worst part is when an old middle east type lady pushes in and being the gentlemen that most of us are (or the well behaved lady) you turn a blind eye, next thing the 20 strong family are standing by her side.

Or when the Indian in front of you produces 20 passports at the transfer desk in ther airport.

Or perhaps the Aussie bloke that just got to the bar and is waving a 20 whilst your only waving a 10.

It is all annoying as heck, but to be honest if you do not stand up for yourself you are going to get walked over.

My old man told me one day that he has has enough and tends to stick his foot out at the right moment, not recommended but highly satisfying according to him.

It certainly isn't just a Thai thing. When my German grandparents came to visit us in London, they were amazed that people queued at the bus-stop. Well, of course that was then (70's & 80's).........

And my grandmother fell in love with Brit ice-cream :o

I just ask them, in Thai of course, why they have no manners,

"Law nai queue. Ta mai khun mai mee mariat?"

They usually slink away.

Edited by astral

I tend to think that waiting on a queue in an orderly manner is a cultural trait limited to the UK and relatively few other countries. In my experience, for the most part, Thais observe the queue protocol better than most.

On another somewhat related point, how many people also find it annoying when a store clerk will stop helping you so that he or she can answer a telephone call, sometimes spending quite a long time talking, while you stand and wait. I think first priority should go to those who are physically present. This also does not seem to be well understood and is certainly in no way limited to Thailand.

I tend to think that waiting on a queue in an orderly manner is a cultural trait limited to the UK and relatively few other countries. In my experience, for the most part, Thais observe the queue protocol better than most.

On another somewhat related point, how many people also find it annoying when a store clerk will stop helping you so that he or she can answer a telephone call, sometimes spending quite a long time talking, while you stand and wait. I think first priority should go to those who are physically present. This also does not seem to be well understood and is certainly in no way limited to Thailand.

I agree this is not really a major concern in Thailand and Thais are usually rather well mannered when queuing.The suggestions, oddly enough both from moderators, that one should treat "offenders" by staring at them , pushing their stuff on the counter away, telling them they have no manners etc I'm afraid simply confirms the Thai prejudice of the crude and bad mannered farang.There are circumstanes in Thailand when the farang just can't win!!

:D I wasn't gonna say anything, but well said BambinA. :D

What was so special about Bambina's semi-coherent drivel that makes you say that it was 'well said'? Is it her avatar? Her response is exactly what I would expect from someone with a limited education.

Oooo, I bet I'm going to get flamed for picking on one of the forum's Chosen Ones. I'm trembling. :o

There is a serious problem with many (not all) Thais when it comes to waiting their turn. I try to be sort of polite when it happens. I somethings get a rude retort in Thai. When that happens, I let 'em have both barrels... in Thai. I can

Can you imagine how much fun it would be if Disney built a theme park in Thailand? :D

I agree this is not really a major concern in Thailand and Thais are usually rather well mannered when queuing.The suggestions, oddly enough both from moderators, that one should treat "offenders" by staring at them , pushing their stuff on the counter away, telling them they have no manners etc I'm afraid simply confirms the Thai prejudice of the crude and bad mannered farang.There are circumstanes in Thailand when the farang just can't win!!

If you can't win anyway you may as well get some satisfaction from not being walked all over. That we are being ill-mannered by pointing out their bad manners is just silly. If that makes me bad mannered then I can live with myself.

cv

ok, ok. I'll be the first one to take the bait!

Galong - Bambina is hardly 'someone with limited education'. Maybe you should check your facts before saying such nasty things about people you dont know.

ok, ok. I'll be the first one to take the bait!

Galong - Bambina is hardly 'someone with limited education'. Maybe you should check your facts before saying such nasty things about people you dont know.

Yes, you are quite right:

it's a loser ... i mean you

why you just dont blame somebody who take advantage on you?

yes.. i accept that sometime in que , some TH brats try to cheat on me..

BUT... sorry they dont get that chance , im so mean .. i just blame them as " oh .. for fukc's sake.im really sorry that your parents dont teach you about manner.. or maybe they tought but you are just fukcing idiot ... look at the line..

Clearly galong is dead wrong on this one.

If you can't win anyway you may as well get some satisfaction from not being walked all over. That we are being ill-mannered by pointing out their bad manners is just silly. If that makes me bad mannered then I can live with myself.

cv

I totally agree it's silly but it's also true as any informed observer of the Thai scene would tell you.

(Obviously I'm not refering to the bar scene where a quite different set of rules apply).

post offices are usually the worst , if there is any sort of scrummage at the counter then there is no point in joining the queue anyway , i just walk up to the front like everybody else and go native.

banks and supermarkets are quite organised queue-wise these days , but the staff are easily distracted from the job in hand, i think that is just part of the thai way of doing things and no amount of staff training or complaints from falangs will change that. sanook will always come before service.

Usually the worst incidents of queue jumping occur in places like 7eleven or taxi queues. Generally when waiting in these queues you have to be on your toes and unfortunately many forms of courtesy have to be abandoned, because if you are too polite, you could end up queueing for a long time.

Apart from these situations, I still try to be courteous and usually a friendly smile is enough to deflame any queue conflicts. :o

As I said, Thais are rank amateurs when it comes to queue discourtesy. Actually never experienced this and am surprised to hear it.

One thing I always find amusing id going into department stores and seeing the counter staff sitting/kneeling/hiding behind clothes-racks, counters etc . . . applying their make-up, plucking their eye-brows, doing their hair . . . :o So, this is the trick when looking for assistance - check in these places.

In general I find Thais to be so much more pleasant than any form of Chinese, when it comes to courtesy.

When I was a teenager I lived in Hong Kong.

The natives didn't understand the concept of waiting in line.

So the British constructed narrow metal fences at taxi and bus stops that made it impossible to "cut in front" on anyone.

It worked really well.

I'm a big supporter of cuing in line. However, I realize that it is cultural concept that not everyone shares.

I find the most challenging places are at Thai oriented street food and food court outlets. The Thai customers seem to assume you can't be serious about wanting the food (or use that as an excuse to rudely butt in), and the vendors are too enthusiastic about dealing with language issues either. Sometimes, have to be real aggressive to get some service.

I am an Asian. I hope nobody would say I am being racist here.

In my experience with standing-in-line (to queue), I think the Indians and Pakistanis take first prize for rudeness. Picture this:

The guy (maybe, gay?) behind you would push his whole body (especialy his crotch) up against you. When you gesture to him that he is too close, he'll say "Sorry!" and backs off. But wait 2 minutes, his will be up against yours again.

After numerous trips to India and Pakistan, I have learned to do this:

With the elbow, give the "behind" guy/gay a firm quick jab in his ribs, then turn around and say "Sorry"!

Problem solved...until the next time you have to queue! :o

Can anyone explain why Thais cannot seem to comprehend the concept of waiting in line for something? Is it actually beyond there ability to accept this?

I've lost track of how many times Thais have stepped in front of me waiting in line anywhere... restaraunts, to pay bills, stores, anything.

What is it?

it's a loser ... i mean you

why you just dont blame somebody who take advantage on you?

yes.. i accept that sometime in que , some TH brats try to cheat on me..

BUT... sorry they dont get that chance , im so mean .. i just blame them as " oh .. for fukc's sake.im really sorry that your parents dont teach you about manner.. or maybe they tought but you are just fukcing idiot ... look at the line..

:o