Overpants

seedy

Been looking for a pair of protective pants that I can put over shorts, etc for a quick trip to town. Mesh construction with hip and knee/shin protection.

Anyone used these ?? Looked at Alpinestars, Joe Rocket, etc but would like to have a report from anyone who has had first hand experience.

Thanks.

I've got the Alpinestars A-10 Air-Flo textile pants- they're reasonably cool (if you're moving) and very comfortable- the knee/shin protection is excellent, but there isn't much hip protection and I wear a pair of padded EVS shorts under them. Like most A* pants, they run on the small side, so ordering a size up usually isn't a bad idea (especially if you'll be wearing them over shorts).

I got them from Revzilla, where they were sold as 'EVS Tug Riding Shorts- Impact'- they were $50- I looked up the 'Ultimate' shorts on another site (that were the same price), and they look identical, but it's tough to tell as all the EVS stuff looks similar.

I've also got a pair of A* Bionic Freeride Shorts, but they're really bulky and I only wear them under my suit.

Edited by RubberSideDown

I got them from Revzilla, where they were sold as 'EVS Tug Riding Shorts- Impact'- they were $50- I looked up the 'Ultimate' shorts on another site (that were the same price), and they look identical, but it's tough to tell as all the EVS stuff looks similar.

I've also got a pair of A* Bionic Freeride Shorts, but they're really bulky and I only wear them under my suit.

Thanks. Was looking at these and thought - Hmmm

If I buy the overpants, and the shorts, dismember the shorts and have the hip armour sewn into the pants, I would have the best of both.

Really looking for something that I can put on quick. Pants over shorts, boots on, mesh jacket over whatever, helmet and go.

If it is quick and easy, I will be more tempted to use it all the time, as opposed to taking the time to full dress for a day long ride.

Will check the shorts out, and the pants.

Muchly appreciated.

Would like to hear more about how it works with your overpants for short rides or experiences from others. Thinking about maybe getting a RevIt Air Wave, but still undecided. Price is OK, but black looks hot and white/silver looks... not really sure biggrin.png

Where do you put the pants (and other gear) when reaching your destination? Guess it starts stinking quickly if left in a top box. I still hope for an idea of a ventilated top box or whatever to put gear in :)

^

I think if I were in the market for another textile jacket, it would be the Air Wave.

Pants/boots are tough to deal with- jackets, helmets, and gloves are easy to toss somewhere (or carry if necessary), but generally I'll leave my riding pants on as I'm usually wearing hip protection under them that looks pretty strange out in the open.;)

Boots I select to fit my plans- if I'm going to be walking, A* SMX-1- otherwise I've got more protective (and way less comfortable) boots that I'll choose.

Proper gear often requires planning.:)

^

I think if I were in the market for another textile jacket, it would be the Air Wave.

Pants/boots are tough to deal with- jackets, helmets, and gloves are easy to toss somewhere (or carry if necessary), but generally I'll leave my riding pants on as I'm usually wearing hip protection under them that looks pretty strange out in the open.wink.png

Boots I select to fit my plans- if I'm going to be walking, A* SMX-1- otherwise I've got more protective (and way less comfortable) boots that I'll choose.

Proper gear often requires planning.smile.png

Been using SMX-5 Vented for a few years now. Basic black. OK to walk around in, so long as you are not hiking miles.

Just looking to get more use out of pants, if I can on/off easy then I will wear them more often.

Jacket, gloves and helmet always.

The balancing act continues ...

^

The new SMX-6 boots are supposed to be excellent (and there are now great deals on the outgoing SMX5's)- I have a pair of Supertech R's, but the inner bootie makes them run pretty warm- they were a great deal on a close-out so I couldn't pass them up, but I would have gone for something else higher in the SMX line otherwise.

You may want to go for one of the new A* or Dainese Kevlar jeans- they're available with or without pads- sometimes I'll wear a pair with some light knee armor like the Forcefield Limb Tubes (which can be removed easily without taking off your pants), which is a better way to go than regular jeans.

I bought an old version of those Revit Airwaves from Panda 3 years ago. They are great pants but I used mine for dirt biking and they quickly became permanently brown pants. Very durable pants, crashed many times in them off road.

I use the AGV Sport Solare mesh pants. Good value. Below is the Youtube video for Revzilla's review. Does run a bit more snug than I would like (or I run a bit more fat than should be). Flows tons of air. Never had a problem with stink, but I just leave them on until get to the hotel room for the evening. I must admit that I rarely wore them before on trips of under 100km, but since I've gotten saddlebags (soon to be upgraded to a full Givi Trekker set), it's fairly easy to slip them off and stuff them in there.

Walking is a different story; a pair of sandals in the tank bag has been my solution. Not seen too many Thais who would be interested in a size 48 pair iof SIDI Cobra Airs. They're not an issue to wear into a restaurant to eat, but to head into Big C or some place I would be walking like a drunk cowboy.

Refit gear 2 leather/mesh pants are great if you would like some leathers on your riding gear.

Very good quality but around 10 k at panda rider.

Panda rider and paddock sells their products cheaper than reveille and no tax or postage expenses.