Garmin 810/1000 Edge where to purchase?

sendbaht

Hi cycling buddies, just asked my Thai wife what she would like for her 30th wedding anniversary...yep 30th

She said "Garmin 810 Edge" really I said, ok..( her 2 Gfs cycling buddies have a 800 and 810" .So, any good leads which bike shop to purchase one at or maybe 2 think I might like one also. I understand the new Garmin 1000 one can see where the person is cycling "live" though a computer. Maybe they all do that not sure, Have a lot to learn.

I know of one GPS store and can check there but not sure if they would set up the cadence count part like a bike shop

would. Guess I could install it if needed.

We are located near Chiang Mai..

Thanks all....

Edited by sendbaht

According to Garmin/bicycle forums I wouldn't buy the Edge 1000 yet due to "toothing problems" Garmin is well-known for. Many users complain crashes (of course not bicycle crashes ...) preparing or during a route. Google for "edge 1000 crash" ...!

AFAIK the only difference between 800 and 810 is the Bluetooth function of the 810. For me it wouldn't be worth the extra money of 90 EUR.

I have the 800 since 3 years/26'000 km, and I'm 100% satisfied with it. Since I bought mine in Europe I can't tell you where to buy in TH. In Chiang Mai I would try it first at "Top Gear Bike" close to Warorot market. But be aware that all Garmin products are remarkably more expensive here than in Europe.
I just saw in another thread you also live in CNX; pls send me a PM.

Edited by rebo
  • Like 1

Garmin 510, 810 and 1000 all have the livetrack feature, so if you/she needs this feature then these are the models to look for, they hook up by bluetooth to your iPhone or Android and can also display weather data on the Garmin unit as well, the 1000 is more advanced in that it can also tell you if you have an incoming call, this is the only feature I"m really interested in with this new model. At the moment I use the 510 myself as I have no need for the mapping function (generally I know where I'm going wink.png), I got it when it first came out and had no issue with it at all (unlike my previous 500).

To be honest, whichever one you go for, she'll probably be happy with, at least Garmin are pretty good at updating their devices when issues do come to light, its a bit like any piece of technology these days, they test as much as they can, but there will always be scenarios they miss and users doing things in a way they didn't expect which cause these "crashes". Connecting the sensors is really easy, just a couple of zip ties and you're done, doesn't need a bike shop to configure it for you.

• Like 1

All the Bangkok bike shops I follow in Facebook are showing off new Garmin GPS's that just arrived in stock. Check out the bike shops in Chiangmai, I'm sure they will have new stock, and going to one of them would be better than going to a GPS retailer. They can mount and set up the sensors/accessories on the spot too.

http://bicyclethailand.com/bicycle-shops-in-chiang-mai-province-thailand/

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

• Like 1

Keep in mind that the price tag of this device equals that of a top-of-the-line smart phone. With a smart phone you get a bigger display and you can add GPS navigation software, maps, and bike computer functions either for free or for very little money. A smart phone has superior processing power and a better UI. The two aspects where smartphones lag behind is ruggedness and battery life. You can address ruggedness by getting a good mount with a waterproof case and carry extra batteries or a powerpack to extend battery life.

Cheers, CM-Expat

• Like 2

All the Bangkok bike shops I follow in Facebook are showing off new Garmin GPS's that just arrived in stock.

Hi

Which shops in bkk have the edge 1000 yet, i could not find any info for a local shop yet?

Thanks to let us know

Wenne