Yamaha Tricity

ttakata

............my ten pennyworth....

the Tri City is the same price as a new PCX which has a 150cc engine...

Putting 2 wheels on the front is providing a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist...it also looks pretty daft in the flesh too (imho...)

I would also doubt that the Tri City would be as good as the PCX in nipping through busy traffic and is going to be harder to park (and find a place if you live in BKK or Pattaya)....

The PCX has a 5 year proven track record and has been described in the motor cycle press as not only the best scooter Honda make, but probably one of the best bikes it makes (Motor Cycle News, UK).....

in my wildest dreams i wouldn't choose a Tri City above a PCX.....

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

While you are entitled to your opinion one has to look at the big picture. It is a "world" scooter just like the PCX. Urban populations are on the increase , scooters are becoming more popular but many do not feel safe on two wheels.

To paraphrase: Yamaha Tricity is a tilting three-wheeled scooter offering safety, road grip and a stability unattainable with a two-wheeled vehicle,

Maybe that is why it provides a solution to a problem that does exist. It is after all not the first of its kind. I have to admit to not having ridden one but when on sees the ease at which either it or an MP3 tackle curbs, different levels of road surface , railway tracks, grass verges, etc. I have an open mind and think it will tempt people onto "two" wheels who may have not done so before?

​It is actually at least visually a little bigger than a PCX.

In Thailand it will sell, as it is a fad! There will be clubs, forums (already) etc.Maybe a 150 will follow after all PCX was a 125 first.

I think you haters (or late adopters of technology) need to stop speculating and go ride one.

This sort of bike will probably be the future of all bikes.

I mentioned this before; once these get big engines and real transmissions, they will lap old school 2 wheelers on a racetrack, road or dirt.

The performance potential of a motorcycle with 50% or 100% more traction will surely change the industry.

If the above sentence doesn't register in your head; I would like to sell you a bag of broken glass for a million dollars.

If you have never lost front wheel traction and crashed, then you ride like a little girl and I understand why you don't think more traction is important.

I've ridden bikes for 15 years on and off road and crashed dozens of times pushing the boundaries of performance.

Riding a sportbike on a racetrack or a dirtbike where there are no roads requires a great deal of concentration.

Now that I am older and don't care to test the boundaries, this Tricity fits the bill.

The key thing about the multi wheeler is you don't need to worry about road conditions, it's almost as carefree as a car.

I don't need to scan the roads or care about riding lines anymore, I just go over bad roads and never have to fear my front will drop into a pothole, skip sideways, or crash.

I get through traffic the same, but it is harder to park in tight spots, but so is a PCX.

On another note, I decided to get my seat fixed for good.

I have done 6 seats over the last 5 years for 3 bikes.

Where can you get a seat done for a few hundred baht?

I think it is urban legend.

I have done my seats on Rama 9, Sukhumvit 71, Somjin, Noi Watdan, and a place on Pracha Songkro in Huai Khwang.

I always paid 400-1200 baht to add foam, custom shape it, and get a new cover sewn up.

This time I went to Somjin on Thanon Chan where I paid 900 baht.

Even the Thai guy next to me paid 450 baht for his old Honda Dream's custom seat.

Anyway, I had them dent the bottom of the stock seat in since I won't be putting helmets under it.

2014-06-13170106.jpg

Then they added lots of foam all over to widen the rear seating surface and fill in the entire front cutout to make it one flat plane with the back.

2014-06-13153612.jpg2014-06-13153608.jpg

I chose the most basic smooth cover so I can slide my butt around easier and those fancy stitchings fall apart after a few years.

2014-06-13165737.jpg

I was worried the higher front would impede walking the bike but it is not at problem because the front still tapers to a point.

2014-06-13165754.jpg

So now the seat is great since I can shift positions easily and my legs don't feel so cramped when riding.

I also cut out 1 side on the storage bin, there's about 2 liters of usable space in there for tools and stuff.

The other side has all the electronics behind it so there is no use cutting there.

2014-06-13170000.jpg

Edited by ttakata

I think you haters (or late adopters of technology) need to stop speculating and go ride one.

I mentioned this before; once these get big engines and real transmissions, they will lap old school 2 wheelers on a racetrack, road or dirt.

The performance potential of a motorcycle with 50% or 100% more traction will surely change the industry.

If the above sentence doesn't register in your head; I would like to sell you a bag of broken glass for a million dollars.

If you have never lost front wheel traction and crashed, then you ride like a little girl and I understand why you don't think more traction is important.

I've ridden bikes for 15 years on and off road and crashed dozens of times pushing the boundaries of performance.

Riding a sportbike on a racetrack or a dirtbike where there are no roads requires a great deal of concentration.

Now that I am older and don't care to test the boundaries, this Tricity fits the bill.

The key thing about the multi wheeler is you don't need to worry about road conditions, it's almost as carefree as a car.

I don't need to scan the roads or care about riding lines anymore, I just go over bad roads and never have to fear my front will drop into a pothole, skip sideways, or crash.

I get through traffic the same, but it is harder to park in tight spots, but so is a PCX.

I have done my seats on Rama 9, Sukhumvit 71, Somjin, Noi Watdan, and a place on Pracha Songkro in Huai Khwang.

I always paid 400-1200 baht to add foam, custom shape it, and get a new cover sewn up.

Even the Thai guy next to me paid 450 baht for his old Honda Dream's custom seat.

Anyway, I had them dent the bottom of the stock seat in since I won't be putting helmets under it.

2014-06-13170106.jpg

Then they added lots of foam all over to widen the rear seating surface and fill in the entire front cutout to make it one flat plane with the back.

I chose the most basic smooth cover so I can slide my butt around easier and those fancy stitchings fall apart after a few years.

2014-06-13165737.jpg

I was worried the higher front would impede walking the bike but it is not at problem because the front still tapers to a point.

2014-06-13165754.jpg

So now the seat is great since I can shift positions easily and my legs don't feel so cramped when riding.

I also cut out 1 side on the storage bin, there's about 2 liters of usable space in there for tools and stuff.

The other side has all the electronics behind it so there is no use cutting there.

2014-06-13170000.jpg

Great...I knew it could be done... thumbsup.gif

............my ten pennyworth....

the Tri City is the same price as a new PCX which has a 150cc engine...

Putting 2 wheels on the front is providing a solution to a problem that doesn't really exist...it also looks pretty daft in the flesh too (imho...)

I would also doubt that the Tri City would be as good as the PCX in nipping through busy traffic and is going to be harder to park (and find a place if you live in BKK or Pattaya)....

The PCX has a 5 year proven track record and has been described in the motor cycle press as not only the best scooter Honda make, but probably one of the best bikes it makes (Motor Cycle News, UK).....

in my wildest dreams i wouldn't choose a Tri City above a PCX.....

You can see my video review http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc9sd2ULSv4 earlier in the thread (7000 views now?). The bike offers stability. It's an excellent alternative to the PCX and I'm it sure will be a success.

Having said that I went with the new PCX. It's damn near a perfect scooter that's just gotten better over the last 4 years.

I didn't want to buy a new model when there was something so good and proven as an alternative. The Tricity will be around for a long time and I agree could be the future. It only needs a track record.

2014-06-13170106.jpg

2014-06-13165737.jpg

2014-06-13165754.jpg

2014-06-13170000.jpg

Great...I knew it could be done... thumbsup.gif

OK ttaka, you saved my soul, i am going to buy one in Sawan Daen Din next monday. with the pics of you i will be able to achieve the same thing. originally i wanted to wait after my europe holidays coming up july and august, but my girl was very excited to have a new tool. anyway i was looking at the pcx, an excellent bike, but it is excellent for europe not for thailand. how many times are you running to the market, to buy food like fried chicken???? where do you put it on the pcx?, under the seat, are you kidding me??? i want to do some travels around the isaan like going "Puthok*, or swim in the waterfalls, will be perfect with my girl on the back, really looking forward to explore more of the isaan the unknwon country. now something about the power. actually i am running a honda spacy 115ccm, weighs something like 100kg. max speed 95km with me on top after a long start up, running easy around 80km/h, but that bike to run that fast,,,, i am scared sometimes (i am 100kg) now looking at 152kg and 125 ccm i think having the better motor then i will still be able to run something the same as with the spacy like 80km/h safely, ample enough to get killed hihihih!!!!!. and to know for you, my experience never went above a 50ccm in switzerland, only here in thailand i am ruinning bigger bikes (not more than 125ccm so far), made even some experiences in chiang rai with an enduro after 50 years of never travelling with a bike anymore. it seems that i will be the idael tricity bike runner hihihih!!!!! once more many thanks for your contributions

Cool, glad to hear another person will get one.

I can't find or recall where I saw on the internet, but there is a video of a Thai guy riding a dirt trail on a Tricity.

I have also seen a webpic of a Tricity with actual knobby dirt tires on it, but again can't find the weblink.

If you are doing a lot of offroad, you might want to swap your tires.

I guess you will find out soon enough if you need to; let us know your progress.

The bike is claimed to have 50-50 weight distribution and I believe it because I took it through a patch of sand once.

25% of the weight per front wheel and 50% on the back seems right because I didn't have a problem until the rear hit the sand.

The front floats much easier on sand than a normal scooter but the extra weight made the rear tire sink in sand fast so I got off and walked the bike out with some throttle.

This is not something I had considered and no one ever gets younger. So yes maybe Tricity will tempt people onto "two" wheels who may have not done so before?

Was walking yesterday. Saw one in traffic following all the other bikes. In the gap between the cars and the curb, up onto the sidewalk to go around the queue, back down onto the road.. he seemed to be doing it just as easily as all the other guys on two wheeled scooters.

I also passed a Yamaha dealer on my strolls. I think the matt red colour suits the bike the best but.... Black doesn't suit it at all.

Okay tried the Tricity today. Here are my thoughts. I like the dash and the build quality seems good although the owner said he replaced some plastic screws (not good seems like both honda and yamaha have been cheapening their bikes since the days of bikes like the airblade). The bike feels heavy not only when you ride it but when you get on because of the front end weight feels like you are yanking a 400 cc or so. On the road the bike was great over speed bumps and the suspension seems good and should be real nice for two up riding. Brakes are excellent. However, it is not an agile bike although it corners well. It also feels slow but maybe this can be improved with lighter variator weights or restricting the restrictor. And around 80 km it didn't feel so stable to me not sure why if it was the seating position or the way the front end is perhaps not ideally balanced and there exists a bit of play between the wheels. Did not have enough time on the bus to investigate fully.

I cannot understand what Yamaha is thinking with that seat. Anyone over 5 6 will have their knees pushed to the bike. Also lack of storage under the seat and having to lift the seat for a fill up.

Not a bike for me but some riders will like the stability. I think it will be a good two up rider that should shine in the rain or slippery road conditions. Not sure if it will soak up those road bumps an agile single wheel can easily miss.

Edited by losworld

i am just coming back with my new tricity buied today and after that 70km, an approx. 1 hour ride....the .negativ first, the seat, my butt was so sore, much more than when i was riding the same distance with my honda spacy. the motor is brand new and felt a bit sluggish could not get it above 90km/h, but think that will improve, yet for a bike of that weight the 150ccm would come in handy.

positiv , the riding, cruising with 50 to 60km/h was so relaxed, i could enjoy the country and look around, no vibration into the handles, no hard grip needed, it just runs straight. i did not have to care about road condition (except real potholes), especially cracks running in driving direction, sometimes the spacy was caring the shit out of me with all these uncontrolled swings and movings it made in such conditions. on the tricity even between 60 and 80km/h the relaxed feeling kept on. i think i did the right thing for some nice trips through the country, of course after having rebuilt the seat like ttataka showed....and not unimportant, my girl (46kg) just came in telling me she loves riding it.

a word about consumption, i do not care how many km the bike makes per litre, but the range is important and i see that this will be 250 to 300km per full tank, ample enough.

remark: of course it is not fair to compare spacy to tricity, you can buy two spacys for the same money. i am more comparing the 2 wheel concept feeling to the three wheel feeling.

another thing...thinking that quite some farangs (for most thais out here in the countryside the bike is to expensive and too sophisticated) will buy a tricity....the manual comes in Thai language only, asked the dealer to get an english one, but he did not know, if he can get it. seems that yamaha still needs to learn something about how to support its dealership. same thing about the seat (which is working OK for the small and light thai people)...in meantime they should have some reports from the market and offer it as an accessory. i was looking for some way to tell them about my experiences (for the sake of all future customers), but no chance so far.

Okay tried the Tricity today. Here are my thoughts. I like the dash and the build quality seems good although the owner said he replaced some plastic screws (not good seems like both honda and yamaha have been cheapening their bikes since the days of bikes like the airblade). The bike feels heavy not only when you ride it but when you get on because of the front end weight feels like you are yanking a 400 cc or so. On the road the bike was great over speed bumps and the suspension seems good and should be real nice for two up riding. Brakes are excellent. However, it is not an agile bike although it corners well. It also feels slow but maybe this can be improved with lighter variator weights or restricting the restrictor. And around 80 km it didn't feel so stable to me not sure why if it was the seating position or the way the front end is perhaps not ideally balanced and there exists a bit of play between the wheels. Did not have enough time on the bus to investigate fully.

I cannot understand what Yamaha is thinking with that seat. Anyone over 5 6 will have their knees pushed to the bike. Also lack of storage under the seat and having to lift the seat for a fill up.

Not a bike for me but some riders will like the stability. I think it will be a good two up rider that should shine in the rain or slippery road conditions. Not sure if it will soak up those road bumps an agile single wheel can easily miss.

The Tri City tries to solve a problem that didn't exist......

Never in the reign of pig's puddin (as uncle Percy would say) will you see 3 wheelers becoming the norm and "old fashioned" 2 wheelers slip away into oblivion....

Do you think the next Isle Of Mann TT Race will feature 3 wheel bikes "because of the improved front stability and handling" ??

me neither....

so, 82,000 b for a 115cc scooter........

numbers don't stack up to me when the same amount gets you a 150cc Honda PCX............

Never in the reign of pig's puddin (as uncle Percy would say) will you see 3 wheelers becoming the norm and "old fashioned" 2 wheelers slip away into oblivion....

Do you think the next Isle Of Mann TT Race will feature 3 wheel bikes "because of the improved front stability and handling" ??

me neither....

numbers don't stack up to me when the same amount gets you a 150cc Honda PCX............

I tend to agree with you. I am a bit baffled why Yamaha did not make a two wheeled version of this bike and even with the 125 as a competitor to the PCX. It is a nice looking bike and with the step through might offer an interesting alternative. But of course Honda has them a bit caged because you can get a Click for 50k and it is a very good bike. They would need to sell their bike between the Click and the PCX but if 60k they might have a winner.

They will have some problems selling to farangs at present with the awful seat designed for 5 6 inch Thai and the funny thing is it it too high for most Thai girls who would have likely been buyers.

The bike is nice and stable on the highway around 80 km per hour and does soak up bumps nicely. Brakes are excellent. Maybe the biggests drawback might be parking in tight spaces as you will need to lean in and pull it back and it might be a biti heavy for some not to mention it is wider.

Edited by losworld

me neither....

It's a scooter(!),no a racing machine....some of you still don't get the concept of those tree-wheeler bikes....it's not for racers!!

...and it's only 125(!) cc.....it would be better with a bigger,maybe 150 cc engine,I'll agree with that....but fix the seat so your butt will fit and ride it...and it's definitely safer and more stable than any other two-wheelers of the same size !! :)

...and it's definitely safer and more stable than any other two-wheelers of the same size !! smile.png

Says Who ? (other than you....)

Me also. I do. - source: myself. Rode it before.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

2013-isle-of-man-tt-sidecar-race1-186201

Isle of Man is one crazy death race.

We all know the Tricity is a slow scooter not meant for racing, I would hope no one is debating that.

Although...I have seen scooters race up the Pikes Peak Hillclimb so who knows what the future will bring.

This is where the idea came from within Yamaha.

I remember seeing it in the flesh 5-6 years ago at Laguna Seca and thought nothing of it other than it was ugly.

Having ridden a LMW now, I see a new light.

The Piaggio MP3 came out in 2006 and now Peugeot, Quadro, and Yamaha are involved in just 8 years and they are more or less urban non-sporting models.

Frankly, I think 3 wheelers like the Tricity are a stopgap compromise (though still better than a similar class 2 wheeler) because it is cheaper to develop and sell since the rear drivetrain is already proven and amortised.

The big question is whether Yamaha or someone else will go one step further and make a big bike LMW with 4 wheels.

It will be very costly to develop since it would require much more new tooling and material costs than usual.

Maybe a leaning quad will be too safe to race at the Isle of Man, but I bet a new class of racing will still come of it seeing how people race big rig trucks and lawnmowers.

Leaning quads could slot in between MotoGP and F1 if they get serious backing and 10-20 years of development.

The ceiling of performance in MotoGp has been the tires for many years now, but what if you add 2 more tires........

The Tricity is actually a better value than a PCX by a cost standpoint.

It simply costs more money to make a 3 wheeler than a comparable 2 wheeler since there's 30% more bike.

Whether one thinks 25cc of engine is worth more than a 3rd wheel, brake, and suspension is your opinion.

For me in Bangkok where the Tricity is still faster than all the cars, I prefer the carefree safety of the third wheel over the extra speed I never need.

If anyone wants a fast or agile bike; look elsewhere.

This bike is about safety, looking different, and moderate storage space.

The ceiling of performance in MotoGp has been the tires for many years now

Performance ceiling at the IOM is cojones! MotoGP is similar but safer.biggrin.png

MotoGp is like rock climbing with a rope, IOM is like free-climbing.tongue.png

Edited by VocalNeal

Don't curse it till you have ridden it! Got one, love it. Seat sucks but my bum has changed shape so self adjusting. Fantastic for two people as had over 180kg on board yesterday. Stable but took almost a week to break in with a very tight engine. Very grunty for a 125cc! lol it's also a customisers dream. Saw another fully done up in a window near LK Soi. Incredible custom job. My wife translated the manual for me but honestly who reads them anyhow. I think I was probably the one an earlier post commented on seeing me weaving through traffic and up a curb and down again the other day. lol

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Edited by bofhman

Sounds like me .... wish I was that young again! lol Anyhow, good news just picked up a new genuine Yamaha TriCity Euro stock seat which had just arrived as a spare part designed for my size butt aka v2.0 from dealer. My wife picked up her new Honda MSX today from the same dealer that had sold me the TriCity, after haggling loudly in Thai with her, he finally kicked the new seat in along with another new 'Thai' seat for my wife's bike for 1,500 baht. Holy mackerel ... things must be tight in bike sales at the moment. Not bad. Took three minutes for them to swap out. The difference is amazing. My knees have now 10-15cm and I'm sitting back and more upright without moving forward with plenty of space for the wife to sit. Awesome. Finally a proper seat. Saves me spending and stuffing around to mod out a seat to suit. So now we have two spares that I'll get customised one day to something more fancy when the original wears out.

Edited by bofhman

Sounds like me .... wish I was that young again! lol Anyhow, good news just picked up a new genuine Yamaha TriCity Euro stock seat which had just arrived as a spare part designed for my size butt aka v2.0 from dealer. My wife picked up her new Honda MSX today from the same dealer that had sold me the TriCity, after haggling loudly in Thai with her, he finally kicked the new seat in along with another new 'Thai' seat for my wife's bike for 1,500 baht. Holy mackerel ... things must be tight in bike sales at the moment. Not bad. Took three minutes for them to swap out. The difference is amazing. My knees have now 10-15cm and I'm sitting back and more upright without moving forward with plenty of space for the wife to sit. Awesome. Finally a proper seat. Saves me spending and stuffing around to mod out a seat to suit. So now we have two spares that I'll get customised one day to something more fancy when the original wears out.

Where are photos...at least of the seat ? :)

Although I am at fault, I am glad this thread is getting back on track just talking about the Tricity.

bofhman, is your better seat the optional seat in the accessories brochure?

I just thought it would be the same crap with a different cover.

Darn, I just wasted 1350 baht having mine redone 2 times.

Oh well, 1350b is a small price to pay for comfort.

Today was the first day I rode behind a Tricity.

We were riding down Pradit Manu Tham towards Rama 9 at around 4pm so it was getting pretty congested.

The other guy had a pimped out red one with Wirus Win exhaust and intake and red reflector strips on the wheels.

It sounded very quiet, almost stock.

I'm hoping a Leo Vince Cobra exhaust system comes out, outherwise I am sticking to a stock muffler.

I doubt any muffler or intake will improve performance other than shedding the extra weight; I just like the look of the LV Cobra system.

The guy (looked Thai) was wearing a big backpack so I later got in front of him so he could see me get through traffic with a Givi 55L.

Then I lost him and went home.

It's promising to see more people on this thing because I like to pimp my bikes out but nothing in the aftermarket appeals to me so far.

Now that my seat is raised I think taller bars might be nice but don't want to put an ugly steel TTX stem on my bike.

I've seen one concept bike by SRY that has a billet AL stem and MX bars but no one is selling a CNC bar stem yet to my knowledge.

Hopefully other owners will post mods done to their bikes.

hello guys, after now something like 300km on my new tricity, i am getting more used to it and love it better the longer i am driving it (had my seat done, well it is not 100% but OK for no longer than one hour riding, then i need a short brake to loosen up) out here in the isaan on the sometimes bad roads, it is a very relaxed and enjoyable riding (the riding comfort from the suspension shock absorbing and lack of any nasty vibration, is much better than my other bikes, suzuki step, skydrive and honda spacy ).. about speed: up to 80km/h it gets there fast enough and easy but more than that....slowly, slowly...but 80 is ample enough and acceleration is good enough, you can still beat all the cars at the traffic lights. it is a real different thing while driving and cruising, OK, to shop in town it is not as nimble as my honda spacy, the weight and the two wheels are asking for a little bit slower and rounder movements....

i am happy with it, it does what i was expecting, giving me an easy riding on all type of roads and good cruising...i am no chopper guy, but i like the free feeling of the wind around my head and the tricity is giving it to me. i think i said everything which was here to say, so with this i will stop commenting about the tricity....take care and have fun

the writings of ttataka were prompting me to buy one.....thanks ttataka