Yamaha Tricity

ttakata

https://www.yamaha-motor.co.th/2014/product.php?id=128

Yamaha-Tricity-feature-2-483x400.jpg

Haven't seen a thread dedicated to this thing yet.

I have seen 4 of these cruising BKK now but I was not able to follow and observe.

So I saw them at a dealer but they wouldn't allow a test ride.

The bike seems good for the money, probably slower since it is a 125cc, but stable for beginners and lazy stop lights.

It could swallow a full face helmet but no other pockets/storage space.

For those who bought or test rode one, please let us know your comparisons to a regular 2 wheeler like the Nouvo is it based off of.

I am curious if the turning radius is much larger than a Nouvo since there is probably no reverse gear possible on a belt drive.

I assume it is much bigger at slow speeds but since it leans, maybe not?

The handlebars didn't seem any wider than what I am used to on my Nouvo Elegance and the bodywork is narrower than the bars, but wider than a PCX.

3 wheels and 6 shocks; probably handles well and soaks up bumps.

If this can get through Bangkok traffic as well as a 2 wheeler, might be fun to own.

Anyone with real world experience please chime in.

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did a search for "Tricity" and saw nothing.

So if it exists, its hidden in an obscure thread that might not be helpful 1 year from now.

Anyway no self balancing is weak.

Guess I'll stick with 2 wheels, but am still curious what people think about this bike.

Kinda sad that Yamaha didn't have a locking feature that would engage at a full stop and release at a certain speed (I believe Piaggio has this).

Daughter wants one; parents don't care for it (well I am interested in the tech)...let's see this plays out.

Walked in to the Patong Yamaha dealer today, none available till the end of the month. I was quoted 84k.

It's a Nouvo SX with two wheels up front. Discs all around with, ABS.

What this scooter has going for it...SAFETY.

I think it's a game changer.

The dealer I saw said it was linked braking (UBS) like Honda has.

They told me 70% front and 30% rear.

This site says so too http://www.zigwheels.com/news-features/news/yamaha-tricity-scooter-unveiled/18167/

I saw the front uprights have sensors reading toothed rings on the front wheels which made me ask.

I don't think they would put ABS on such a cheap bike.

Would be nice to have though.

I remember seeing the Piaggio MP3 on a highway in LA 5 years ago.

I read somewhere it is one of their best sellers now.

Other sites say this will sell for 4000 Euro/$5500 so ~90K baht is a real bargain here.

If I was female and wanted a scooter I would probably go for one.

You guess it would be safer as there's more chance of staying on (it staying on its wheels) in a low speed collision.

But with it taking up more room there's also more chance of a low speed collision. At least in busy Bangkok with its up close and personal traffic.

The wife looked and said no, she wouldn't buy one, that the two wheels should be on the back.

With no test ride being available I certainly wouldn't buy one. That's a joke really. So they want you to buy a pretty much completely new concept (to the Thai market at least) of vehicle, that people wouldn't be sure about how it rides and handles, but they cannot even take it around one corner in the parking lot before buying it.

I just wonder how steering work in this bike , I mean when you push (countersteer) left its lean left and turn left or It's steer like car?

The sales woman says it steers like a car, no countersteer.

Correction from my above post, the brochure says it has UBS braking. I imagine that's like the Honda braking system where front and rear brakes are applied together.

Other features are full digital LCD dash, LED and halogen lights.

All I know they counter steer due to the clever shock setup which they can lean.

But can am three wheelers cannot.

It's a simple fulcrum arrangement and should surely steer as a normal motor cycle?

I forgot to mention, the dealer I saw was a private dealer, not a Yamaha Square.

I recall the Yamaha Square on Phanonyothin allowed me to test ride several bikes when I was in for an oil change.

My next oil change might be soon just to fulfill curiosity, but I am positive it won't be a real test of the leaning capabilities.

They only allowed me to ride the side soi a hundred meters.

Yamaha would be smart to push some test days at shopping malls with big lots like Seacon or Mega Bangna.

I recall many US dealers wouldn't let you test ride big bikes because there is too much risk of newbies wrecking the bikes.

I bought a CBR600F4i blind because of this in Colorado.

2 wheels in back reminds me of the quick vanishing of early ATVs, they were deathtraps.

Has anyone explored the locking mechanism? MP3 has a manual electric system with a yellow light to alert the rider as to when the system can be engaged and when to disengage. With practise a rider can stop the bike with the lock engaged.

When I went into the dealership at Sak Lek it took me 20 minutes to find out there is no lock! Well actually, at about 19 minutes 30sec the missus rocked up so it was sorted quickly. I think!!!

It was funny in a way. The salesgirl that speaks a little English called over the other salesgirl who speaks no English who called over the spare parts guy that just grunts (any language) and finally the spannerman came over to see what the fuss was about.

Apparently you just use the side stand to hold it still. Which to me seems like an accident waiting to happen. As it was on a gentle slope (a ramp into an out of the showroom)so I pushed it a little and it was creeping down the slope already! Maybe the 2015 model gets the lock!

When I went into the dealership at Sak Lek it took me 20 minutes to find out there is no lock! Well actually, at about 19 minutes 30sec the missus rocked up so it was sorted quickly. I think!!!

It was funny in a way. The salesgirl that speaks a little English called over the other salesgirl who speaks no English who called over the spare parts guy that just grunts (any language) and finally the spannerman came over to see what the fuss was about.

Apparently you just use the side stand to hold it still. Which to me seems like an accident waiting to happen. As it was on a gentle slope (a ramp into an out of the showroom)so I pushed it a little and it was creeping down the slope already! Maybe the 2015 model gets the lock!

No simple brake lever lock like on some scooters/small bikes?

post-184955-0-60054900-1397906876_thumb.

No simple brake lever lock like on some scooters/small bikes?

I took a close look at the levers and saw nothing that resembled a brake lock lever and around the front-end looking for a steering lock of some sort but nothing was noticeable.

Wow, I am impressed with the video and checked out some of the other Thai videos.

Seems like the bike goes anywhere any other small scooter would go.

He was splitting traffic like any other bike.

I can see a lot of these selling since the price is right.

I hope some of the rental places get them.

I'd rent one for 300 baht a day just to beat on it and see what it can do.

At the end of this video the guy does an endo pretty easy and at slow speed.

I wonder if newbs (target market?) will be flipping them and killing themselves.

On 2 wheels I find a front tires slips out under you and the bike falls to one side.

On this, the bike can't fall to one side so would it just flip over?.

I guess that's what the UBS braking is there to prevent?

I would love to see these things racing.

Wonder how it would fare going quick on dirt roads?

Not sure why I am so intrigued by this bike but was pondering the dimensions I pulled off the Yamaha site.

Although it looks huge in person, it's about the same size as a PCX.

Honda PCX Dimensions

Length x Width 1917 x 738 mm

Ground Clearance 135mm

Wheelbase 1305mm

Kerb Weight 124.4kg (F: 52.2kg; R: 72.2kg)

Fuel Capacity 6.2litres

Nouvo SX Dimensions:

Length x Width 1955 x 705 mm

Ground Clearance 130mm

Wheelbase 1290 mm

Turning radius 1938 mm

Weight with oil 111 kg And a full tank of fuel
Fuel Capacity 4.3litres

Tricity Dimensions

Length x Width 1905 x 735 mm

Ground Clearance 120mm

Wheelbase 1310 mm

Weight with oil 152 kg And a full tank of fuel

Fuel Capacity 6.6litres

I took a close look at the levers and saw nothing that resembled a brake lock lever and around the front-end looking for a steering lock of some sort but nothing was noticeable.

I was referring to a steering lock to keep the bike upright. It won't have a brake lock.

Easily takes the title of "heaviest 125cc bike". Gotta wonder why they didn't at least put a 150 in it... everything else about it is cool...

Cost & fuel economy?

Probably has ample power & torque for city driving.

Yamaha engineers & designers rarely miss.

My SX hauls me (80kg) and 1 or 2 medium (50-55kg) Thai ladies well enough.

Archived