The Lao Experience - Part I

I've put a 'Part I', because I'm sure they'll be a part II.

Hi, Rob here again...

My Thai visa expired today, so I took the overnight train from Bangkok and Hey Presto - here I am in Vientiane. Unfortunately today (Saturday) the Thai Embassy is closed and also obviously tomorrow, so it looks as if I'll be submitting my application for a non-immigrant 'O' visa on Monday, collecting it Tuesday (I think) and then buggering out of here on the same day.

Anyway, this morning I arrive at Nong Khai train station and a tuk tuk driver offers me a trip to the border for thirty baht. I agree and halfway through the journey he asks me if I have a Lao visa, which I reply that I do not. So he then asks me if I want one, which I reply that I do, as it would save fussing around on the other side of the border. He then takes me to somewhere which is advertising Lao visas for 1,600 baht. I do not have any dollars on my personage, as I am aware that to buy one in Laos costs 30 USD. So I ask the dude behind the counter how long it will take to process and he tells me ten minutes.

To cut a long story (and indeed it is one) short, I pay my money, the visaman fills my form out for me, asks me for a photo and then before I know it a car has pulled up. The visaman then tells me that I have to get into the car and that I will be driven over the border. Thinking that I have already fallen for a scam, I board the car and approach the border. Coincidentally, don't you just love those Thai Immigration Officers? For saying that Thailand is supposed to be the land of smiles, they certainly do not give a newcomer to the country a good first impression.

Anyway, after getting my exit stamp I am driven over the Thai - Lao friendship bridge. On the other side, the driver of the car queues in the 'Lao visa on arrival' queue, produces thirty dollars and then several minutes later I have my visa and he buggers off back over the Friendship Bridge. The long and short of it is, I could have done the whole thing myself for probably a few hundred baht cheaper.

Oh well, you live and learn!

Afterwards, I take a taxi (in a car which I think is actually older than myself) to Vientiane for 150 baht. Halfway there, the taxi gets a puncture but the driver gets out and changes the wheel within the space of five minutes, which quite impressed me actually.

Anyway, first day in, I've already had quite a bit of Beerlao and am quite looking forward to some more. I'll be in touch quite soon.

Cheers,

Rob

I've put a 'Part I', because I'm sure they'll be a part II.

Hi, Rob here again...

My Thai visa expired today, so I took the overnight train from Bangkok and Hey Presto - here I am in Vientiane. Unfortunately today (Saturday) the Thai Embassy is closed and also obviously tomorrow, so it looks as if I'll be submitting my application for a non-immigrant 'O' visa on Monday, collecting it Tuesday (I think) and then buggering out of here on the same day.

Anyway, this morning I arrive at Nong Khai train station and a tuk tuk driver offers me a trip to the border for thirty baht. I agree and halfway through the journey he asks me if I have a Lao visa, which I reply that I do not. So he then asks me if I want one, which I reply that I do, as it would save fussing around on the other side of the border. He then takes me to somewhere which is advertising Lao visas for 1,600 baht. I do not have any dollars on my personage, as I am aware that to buy one in Laos costs 30 USD. So I ask the dude behind the counter how long it will take to process and he tells me ten minutes.

To cut a long story (and indeed it is one) short, I pay my money, the visaman fills my form out for me, asks me for a photo and then before I know it a car has pulled up. The visaman then tells me that I have to get into the car and that I will be driven over the border. Thinking that I have already fallen for a scam, I board the car and approach the border. Coincidentally, don't you just love those Thai Immigration Officers? For saying that Thailand is supposed to be the land of smiles, they certainly do not give a newcomer to the country a good first impression.

Anyway, after getting my exit stamp I am driven over the Thai - Lao friendship bridge. On the other side, the driver of the car queues in the 'Lao visa on arrival' queue, produces thirty dollars and then several minutes later I have my visa and he buggers off back over the Friendship Bridge. The long and short of it is, I could have done the whole thing myself for probably a few hundred baht cheaper.

Oh well, you live and learn!

Afterwards, I take a taxi (in a car which I think is actually older than myself) to Vientiane for 150 baht. Halfway there, the taxi gets a puncture but the driver gets out and changes the wheel within the space of five minutes, which quite impressed me actually.

Anyway, first day in, I've already had quite a bit of Beerlao and am quite looking forward to some more. I'll be in touch quite soon.

Cheers,

Rob

It is all a learning experience Rob, and you are having fun ( except in the mornings after a night on the suds :o )