Thailand's environmental awareness - bags within bags

Jimjim1968

Speaking of cockroaches, last month I stayed at the Chada Hotel, 188 Ratchadapisek Road, Huaykwang for two weeks. Right next to the hotel is a foul smelling canal and I was really surprised that I only saw one cockroach the whole time I was there. Not near the canal or even on the footpaths outside the restaurants even though there were bags of garbage piled up. In Sydney they are everywhere especially near the harbour and they are big, creepy and revolting.

I also do my bit, refusing plastic bags, and picking up bits of rubbish on the beaches. Yes thais need more education, T.V. comercials condeming littering, enforce fines for littering etc, but I have also noticed when I pick up rubbish it is very hard to find a bin to put it in.

If you are upset with the Thais disregard for cleanliness...you will be shocked if you visit Cambodia...garbage everywhere...and it appears that the Cambodians are oblivious...

ah the old "there is always somewhere worse" reply

• Like 1

Speaking of cockroaches, last month I stayed at the Chada Hotel, 188 Ratchadapisek Road, Huaykwang for two weeks. Right next to the hotel is a foul smelling canal and I was really surprised that I only saw one cockroach the whole time I was there. Not near the canal or even on the footpaths outside the restaurants even though there were bags of garbage piled up. In Sydney they are everywhere especially near the harbour and they are big, creepy and revolting.

It's probably too dirty for the cockroaches

• Like 1

In Pichit there is a crocodilepark and a big lake to feed fish. Also a grassfield to sit and eat. Been there couple of times years ago...full of bags, cans paper etc....eventhough there were bins.....walking around like a moaning dumbster to put it in a bin so we could sit. Reply from the adults....what you worry about...this thailand...we dont care.....even my son of 4, that time, looked at me shaking his head about what he heard.

Just bring your own bags, refuse plastic at all times. Maybe someone will notice. Where I shop they know me, and know what I like and dislike. Thai people are smart they will catch on. But it wouldn't hurt if there were ads on tv, bus stations, train stations, metro, etc. to encourage education. The quickest way to stop the Thai's, from using plastic bags would be to charge for them, worked in the US, and we are lazy too.

"Central" department stores are doing 5% discount on your shopping if you don't take a bag. So the message must be getting through.

7/11 is the biggest offender and smaller private owned shops copy 7/11 with over generous plastic bag giving because they think it's ok to put chewing gum in a bag. 7/11 coffee cups are designed to be able to be held with hot liquids in. Why do they need cup bags??

This video needs to go viral

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3QPOjurEnVQ

OP, they treat the environment as they treat their own houses.

Can't speak for the rest of Thailand but where I live in Issan kids and grownups have no idea of what a dustbin is.

Just throw everything on the floor.

May be they are concerned about feeding the ants and cockroaches.

A dustbin in Thailand???????? (apart from 7-11s)

There's 12 in my soi. One for each house and kept on the pavement. But kids still throw their ice cream wrappers on the ground.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I recently bought a box of baby formula and a "SAY NO TO PLASTIC BAG" reusable shopping bag in Big C, they put the box of formula into a plastic carrier bag, then to top it all, the packing lady folded up my reusable bag which I purchased and put it into another plastic bag! un xxxxxx believable. Of course I removed both items from the bags and showed her how to put the box inside the reusable bag. She looked bewildered.

On the other hand you could have explained in Thai what your problem was to the checkout girls.

Or is it only them expected to learn a new language and take time to read what is written on a purchased item?

Think before you post please......................rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I recently bought a box of baby formula and a "SAY NO TO PLASTIC BAG" reusable shopping bag in Big C, they put the box of formula into a plastic carrier bag, then to top it all, the packing lady folded up my reusable bag which I purchased and put it into another plastic bag! un xxxxxx believable. Of course I removed both items from the bags and showed her how to put the box inside the reusable bag. She looked bewildered.

On the other hand you could have explained in Thai what your problem was to the checkout girls.

Or is it only them expected to learn a new language and take time to read what is written on a purchased item?

Think before you post please......................rolleyes.gif

They need to do neither (take time or read) if bags had been in two languages (English & Thai) and proper training had been given. It is not for the customer to bring environmental awareness to Big C staff.

I agree with marko kok prong when he says that Thais love their country, or so they steadfastly believe and affirm. But one could question a Thai, and ask if they really do love their country.

It could be pointed out that if they really loved their country they would take pride in how it looks, and not treat it like a garbage dump. And it's not only that it's a ubiquitous eyesore, but it's also a danger to animals, whether on land or in the sea.

But to imagine that we are going to learn from other countries would show that we had been colonised.

Ain't gunna happen.