Thai FM Surapong: Two Hezbollah suspects nabbed, third on the run

webfact

Thai FM: Two Hezbollah suspects nabbed, third on the run
By Digital Content

13978000714343.jpg

BANGKOK, Apr 18 – Two suspected members of the Hezbollah political movement were arrested in Thailand and the third remained at large, caretaker Deputy Prime Minister/Foreign Minister Surapong Tovichakchaikul said today.

Mr Surapong said Thai authorities had mounted a manhunt for the other suspect, at large in Thailand, quoting an official report as saying that the group intended to buy components and make explosive devices in Thailand to be sent to a third country.

Col Banpote Poolpian, spokesman of the Internal Security Operations Command (ISOC), said the two suspects were arrested at a hotel on Soi Nana off Sukhumvit Road, not at Suvarnabhumi airport as earlier reported.

Their native country was Lebanon but they carried passports of different countries – France and the Philippines, he said, adding that Thai authorities were checking if they really belonged to the Hezbollah movement.

They could be charged with breaching the Immigration Act and eventually deported from the kingdom, he said.

“The Hezbollah movement does not aim at attacking entertainment, tourism or economic locations. Israel and the US have defined the group as international terrorist network while it is recognised as a political party in Lebanon,” he explained.

Police earlier identified the two suspects as Youssef Ayad and Daoud Farhad. Still at large is the third suspect, identified as Bilal Bahsoun. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-04-18

• Like 1

"quoting an official report as saying that the group intended to buy components and make explosive devices in Thailand to be sent to a third country."

I believe that, so easy to get any kind of explosives, guns, grenades in this country.

Thailand is definitely the hub of weapons.

"quoting an official report as saying that the group intended to buy components and make explosive devices in Thailand to be sent to a third country."

I believe that, so easy to get any kind of explosives, guns, grenades in this country.

Thailand is definitely the hub of weapons.

People don't post bomb components around the world.

• Like 1

In a report in the 'other' paper, it was stated that the intention was to target Israelis in Kao San Road. Or was that a different set of terrorists?

Same, only in that report more suspects were mentioned (not by name).

Hezbollah has attempted, carried out or suspected of at least 5 actions in Thailand against Israeli and Saudi targets.

Plenty of kit back home from the Iranians, but easier to get it here, and use it here.

Edited by 55Jay

Other news reports were clear that their intention was to target bomb Israeli tourists on Khao San Road. The interrogated terrorists also corroborated this fact that was originally identified by Israeli Intelligence. The Thais are minimizing Hezbollah and the risk of tourists terror in Thailand. You can see clearly by their language in this article. Thais minimizing terror and the threat of Hezbollah eight or so people coming to Thailand.

Hezbollah has attempted, carried out or suspected of at least 5 actions in Thailand against Israeli and Saudi targets.

Plenty of kit back home from the Iranians, but easier to get it here, and use it here.

Quite sure you got something wrong here.

Not sure there were even that many international terrorism attacks in Thailand, since the mid-80's.

Not sure there were even that many international terrorism attacks in Thailand, since the mid-80's.

You can carry on being "quite sure" about being "not sure" then. No problem.

Or you could provide something to support the claim that there were "at least 5 actions in Thailand against Israeli and Saudi targets" by Hezbollah.

Or you could provide something to support the claim that there were "at least 5 actions in Thailand against Israeli and Saudi targets" by Hezbollah.

Thanks, you gave me my afternoon chuckle. When I posted above, I had a feeling you would respond in such manner.

It's not that hard to find, if you care to look. Like I did.

Thanks, you gave me my afternoon chuckle. When I posted above, I had a feeling you would respond in such manner.

It's not that hard to find, if you care to look. Like I did.

Whatever makes you feel superior, however, my original comment was genuine.

Did some more reading and have no issues with conceding that you were right.

Somehow remembered the Saudi diplomat assassinations as a single indecent, rather than separate ones.