Three suspects nabbed in kidnap-murder of a Malaysian businessman in Hat Yai

webfact

Three suspects nabbed in kidnap-murder of a Malaysian businessman

BANGKOK: -- Three men have been arrested for alleged involvement in the kidnap and murder of a Malasysian businesmans in Hat Yai in February.

The three suspects namely 41-year old Taeo Tsi-sheng, a Malaysian national, 31-year old Somchai Nantanoi and Jane Amnartsarn, 46 were presented to the media at Hat Yai district police station today (Friday).

Police said that the three suspects and four others who are still at large were allegedly involved in the kidnapping of 60-year old Lee His-huei, a Malaysian businessman who has seafood export business in Hat Yai, in February.

Mr Taeo, said police, asked the victim to fly from Malaysia into Hat Yai where he was picked up at the airport, taken into a pick-up truck and then driving into a rubber plantation where he was detained.

The gang then called the victim’s family demanding 8 million baht in ransom, however, the ransom was bargained down to 1.5 million baht which was paid to the gang. But the gang decided to kill the hostage because he was familiar with one of the kidnappers and his body was buried on the Banthom island in Sathing Phra district of Songkhla.

Police first nabbed Somchai and Jane whose testimonies led police to the arrest of Taeo, the alleged Malaysian mastermind of the abduction plot.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/three-suspects-nabbed-kidnap-murder-malaysian-businessman/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-18

Sounds like what happens in Mexico a lot. Kidnap the victim, demand ransom from the family, then kill the victim anyway. The Mexican guys are fond of cutting off the victim's head, and sending it to the family, if they did not get the full ransom, or if they feel it was not delivered in a timely manner.

Sounds like what happens in Mexico a lot. Kidnap the victim, demand ransom from the family, then kill the victim anyway. The Mexican guys are fond of cutting off the victim's head, and sending it to the family, if they did not get the full ransom, or if they feel it was not delivered in a timely manner.

Its a good example on several levels. Mexico was a tourist haven in its heyday, and now it is frequently shunned by hi-so and family tourism due to lawlessness and violent drug gangs etc. Thailand should really look at Acapulco's golden tourism era versus today where it boasts the second highest murder rate in the world, and realise that most tourists want serious policing and zero-tolerance towards violent criminals. Tourists need to feel that the citizens in the nation they are visiting are protected by strict laws against kidnap and violence, and that those laws will protect the tourists too.

RIP to the Malaysian gentleman, my prayers are with his family, and I hope that they will see justice in the form of life-meaning-life sentences for these three evil killers.

• Like 1

Why would the family bargain? Ok, sure bargain a bit, but the hostage's life is at stake, so when negotiating, why didn't they ensure a proper swap of life for money?

As a Hat Yai resident (from next week), and in light of recent reports of impending hostage taking by Islamists, I think it prudent to instruct my Thai family how to negotiate should the worst happen. Agree to some money but on certain terms and a safe delivery.

hmmmmm,

suspect wife may have been one of the culprits? I can nearly hear it....giggle.gif , "Go on do it I dare you....actually I'll pay you 1.5 not to let him go"

Actually, no, sorry to the family, a terrible state of affairs. Odd that this murder is not separatist motivated. Could have happened anywhere.... a bit of a concern, and no Russians involved.

hmmmmm,

suspect wife may have been one of the culprits? I can nearly hear it....giggle.gif , "Go on do it I dare you....actually I'll pay you 1.5 not to let him go"

Actually, no, sorry to the family, a terrible state of affairs. Odd that this murder is not separatist motivated. Could have happened anywhere.... a bit of a concern, and no Russians involved.

Where does it say his wife was involved?

Why would the family bargain? Ok, sure bargain a bit, but the hostage's life is at stake, so when negotiating, why didn't they ensure a proper swap of life for money?

As a Hat Yai resident (from next week), and in light of recent reports of impending hostage taking by Islamists, I think it prudent to instruct my Thai family how to negotiate should the worst happen. Agree to some money but on certain terms and a safe delivery.

Bargaining...is a way of life in this part of the world...it is expected...and accepted...even when a life is on the line...important need to feel that it was a good deal for both parties...

My condolences in advance...going to the Hat Yai area to live...can not imagine the daily stress...the angst...the need to be careful in everything you do ...I hope it is worth it for you to move there...do not count on police or military protection...more than 600 people have been murdered in Southern Thailand...one of the most dangerous places on earth...