Almost 60 per cent of Thailand hit by drought

Lite Beer

Maybe the government should subsidise the purchase of water tanks and the redirecting of some of the water that runs of buildings during rain into these tanks thereby placing less demand on the dam resources, just a thought

• Like 1

It's a good thing the entire country just spent an entire week WASTING water by throwing it on each other.

This place gets dumber by the day.

On second thought, that was a rude thing to say. I guess I just don't understand Thainess.

Yes; 'Thainess' means you can think it but never say it....just suffer.

The water for two rice crops ended up strewn over the road during songkran............ahhhh.........but it was sanook.

Most of the water discharged during Songkran drains back into the sub-aquifers, and Thailand has many naturally controlled aquifers and sub-aquifers. There are many trenches (natural) which control streambed levels and backfills of low permeability, which permit retaining sub-ground flows and retention above low permeables, which also permit saturated alluvium pumping (which Thailand has much of, including many MARs). The hydreology of most of Thailand, especially the Northern subtables and their groundwater managed aquifer recharge systems adsorb excesses received from the ground levels, and are pumped adequately, all the way from Chiang Mai, across to Sukothai, to their east and south and in central regions. It's a fallacy that Songkran is a waste of water, as it is adsorbed naturally and flows again into the aquifers for re-pumping. The rice growing areas are never at risk, unless pumping is ordered to be limited! And no... I'm not talking out of my anus... wink.png

I think you are discounting the amount that is lost to evaporation which is blown to other areas by the winds. I have 2 meter deep ponds to store water and they are almost empty this year even though I have not pumped any water from them.

Very worried. We ran out of water in December (75km north of Roi-Et). About 30 litres of mains water a day if we were lucky, hadn't seen rain for five months, groundwater well dry, rainwater havesting pots empty.

Arrived back in the UK late February which has been doing an excellent impression of Venice.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 5 months later...

Forget Song Khran, it is the equivalent of a light sprinkling of rain over a few days.........

What IS significant are golf Clubs, resorts and housing development that pour water on their lawns day-in day-out throughout the year........households just pouring continuously through inefficient pipes that leak..........

Edited by wilcopops