Most Weight You've Lost

boppia

Just curious how people have lost weight? What method did you use and how much did you lose?

Have you kept it off?

Here's a link to one amazing low carb story. http://nicko68.dyndns.org:8280/nick/lowcarb/

This guy hasn't added anything new so he may have gained some back.

I was able to get rid of 20 kg in 2,5 month. first 3 weeks it was solely raw fruit or raw vegetables and to drink only water . After the first 3 weeks i went on with cooked vegetables and "soft food" (no meat but steamed fish was ok) this went on for another 3-4 weeks . Finally i went back to "regular' Food . I discovered that i needed to eat far less than before . I also startet when back on regular Food with Biking and swimming. The First 3 - 4 days are the most difficult part of all that .

I am sure this is NOT a diet for everybody and it may be not good for the Body too. Regardless , 2 years later i gained back 10 kg....i am doing excercising now but watch my Food too ...not as extreme i did before though.

rcm :o

Eating raw fruit and vegetables sounds healthy to me. And the fish and cooked veggies sounds healthy. Seems like you are doing okay if you have kept some of what you lost off and you are exercising. Thanks for the comments.

I lost an initial 5 kg by doing a one week detox fast at Health Oasis. Kept it off and lost an additional 5 kg over several months through combo of exercise, no processed carbs and Xenical. Brown rice, whole grain breads, whole wheat pasta, unlimited fruits & veggies, non milk & yogurt, cheeses (many kinds as I'm vegetarian), tofu, soy protein meat substitute ("protein Kaset"). When I crave desserts, I make my own and use a sugar substitute...usually cheesecake or oatmeal cookies. The Xenical I take only when I've eaten something fried or otherwise containing fat (like cheeses). Keep intake of coconut milk (Thai curries) to a minimum -- not more than once a week and use just a little together with skim milk to make a less fattening curry.

Atkins (no or almost no carb) approach did not work for me at all, I actually gained weight on it plus it was hel_l to do but that is at least in part because I am vegetarian. Also it seems somehow to do more for men than women. However the one lesson I did take away from it is the importance of avoiding processed carbs....

i lost six kg in a week once just through running.

i wasn't overweight but i trimmed everything off quite easily. still got the stretch marks to prove it :o

went from 81.5 kgs to present 69 kgs in about 3 months by stopping sugar, no carbonated drinks, bought a juicer and at least one meal per day of fresh veg juice, NO JUNK FOOD, no dairy products, lots of fruit, some nuts, but most all--lots of exercise.

anyone who wants to lose weight should just change their eating habits-but what about those cravings for snacks, sweets etc? the cravings come from imbalances in your body--deal with them and the cravings will stop---

Lost 30 lbs. in about 5 months. Started walking 45 minutes a day during my lunch hour at work, cut out 95% of the meat I had been eating, and found a super recipe book that made ordinary vegetables scrumptious without adding a lot of calories & fat.

Went from 115kg to 85kg in less than a year. I stopped drinking booze and sodas. My meals were on time and limited to jungle foods and soups. Lost weight, felt good and had saved lots of money.

Prepared more meals at home, ate more fiber, drank water only and ate sidewalk food small plates.

When I stopped the program it all came back and fast. :o

Over about 2 years I dropped about 20kg, going from a body fat % of 33% to about 14%, so I actually lost more than 20kg of fat. I’ve maintain that weight (+/- 2kg) for over 3 years. The weight came off in steps, about 5-7kg at a time, during periods when I was strict for a few months. I only went on a very strict diet once, but that was to loose the last 7kg.

I had really gotten out of shape, so losing weight wasn’t my goal, being health was my goal. Weigh loss was the side effect from living a healthier life style.

Things that I found useful:

1) Buy a good quality digital scale that also measures body fat %, and weight yourself every day, at the same time each day (preferably first thing in the morning as this is the least variable time of the day).

2) Make sure your drinking enough water.

3) Reduce refined carbohydrates, ie sugar and flour.

4) Get plenty of quality protein and veggies, with fruit in moderation.

5) Spread meals out through out the day. I had the bad habit of not eating all day then having a huge dinner. Also try to eat more of your meals early in the day.

6) Weight training! In terms of changing body composition and permanently maintaining it, weight training is key. When losing weight, especially with strict diets, you will lose muscle along with fat. Weigh training will help reduce this loss in muscle (remember to eat enough protein) and build back any lost muscle. Maintaining or bet yet increasing muscle mass is the secret to keeping the fat off permanently.

7) Cardio: My opinion on cardio is a lot different than other people. I feel it’s very important for general health, but less important for losing fat. I try to do 30 minutes of hard cardio 3 times per week, although I’ve been slacking off lately. They real benefits of cardio are increased vascular capacity and increased overall metabolism.

Do your homework. There is lots of conflicting information out there. One site I found particularly informative was http://www.muscle101.com/. The guy that put it up did so on his own time and on his own dime.

Excellent information. Thanks for the replies. Seems some people have kept it off and others gained it right back. The advice you've added makes sense. It's hard to succeed losing weight long term but people do. I'm still listening if anyone else wishes to add something.

Excellent information. Thanks for the replies. Seems some people have kept it off and others gained it right back. The advice you've added makes sense. It's hard to succeed losing weight long term but people do. I'm still listening if anyone else wishes to add something.

There's a related thread running on this forum at the same time. As I said there, the key that I have found to not just losing but keeping weight off permanently is to not try to force oneself into any standard diet regimen but to develop an individually tailored one around your own biorhythm, tastes and habits.

In my case that meant finding purposeful activities that involved physical exertion (since I find straight exercise unbearably boring), continuing to skip breakfast and delaying lunch until late afternoon then a full dinner (because that is just the way my body clock works, I'm not hungry for hours after getting up, and I have the most self-control during the day and the least at night), doing heavy physical work before my first meal of the day (again, just because it works for me...and also seems to curb my appetite for the rest of the day) and then making the following food adjustments: reducing intake of Thai curries to maximum once a week with very little coconut milk stretched out with skim milk, switching all starches to whole grain (bread, rice, pasta), and eliminating sweets but allowing myself homemade desserts with sugra substitute a few times a week....

But the point is not that the above is "the way". It is the way for me because it is designed specifically around my lifestyle, habits, inclinations. Consequently I have not only attained by desired weight but kept it and don't feel deprived. For another person "the way"might be very different.

The flaw I find with most standard diets and advice is their inflexibility. It's hard enough to make permanent changes to your food intake and exercise level without trying to alter your biorhythms and overall lifestyle to boot. The further away a regimen is from your existing patterns, the less likely you are to keep the weight off, altho you might lose it to start with.

Identify what your current patterns and needs/tastes are and which of them are least amenable to change and work those into an individualized plan. Of course, no matter what, the approach will have to involve taking in less calories and expending more...but how you do that and on what time schedule should be designed to optimally suit you because then it stands the best chance of becoming permanent. And a permanent change is what is required in order to keep weight off.