My girlfriend got hit by a motorbike on the last day of Songkran (bkk).

PDavies

I will give you my thoughts.

1: you should have called the police.

2: they probably took you to a state hospital. Where they penny pinch.

3: you should have asked for X-ray for your G/f.

4: you should have also asked the hospital to call the police also or you should have told your g/f to call the police at the hospital.

Forgive me but I think you are a bit dumb.

There is something called "Shock" case you're unaware of the term. In those Hospitals ("Government", they don't have State Hosp in Thailand) there's a very small percentage who speak English, which could add to the confusion & sudden culture shock but I think more the Hosp itself if it's the 1st time you've been in a 3rd world Hosp where their is usually just one doctor on staff.

Common practice would be to just clean & bandage up the cuts/wounds.

The hospitals is not obligated to involve the police & without a police number or the ability to speak Thai, the victim's friend calling would be pointless, or even filing a report would've been useless. How many people as a tourist knew the police phone number & the ability to speak Thai. Proper procedure would be to go to the police station the next day & speak to a English speaking officer.

"Shaurene", apparently you know nothing about this country.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Oz893

I really just made of common sense suggestions. I said for him to ask them call police, you know, put your hand to your ear like phone and say police and dial your finger mate. Finger talk works when you try it works. I am 73 lived here 12 yrs learnt a lot seen a lot, worked in so many countries and did not speak their tongue but managed with fingers and signs. Worked all the time and gave them a laugh mate, try it before you shout your mouth off. My old Dad told me to put your brain into operation before you open your mouth.. If they all had your knowledge it would be a waste of time for people to ask other people for advice.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If my girlfriend was injured I would not be waiting for the system to get around to fixing her up, or not, I'd get pro-active and get it sorted myself.

Shame on the OP for complaining his girlfriend didn't get the treatment she needed when he refused to get his wallet out to pay for it.

• Like 2

You're not ignorant matey don't worry. Tis just the way it is, except for the fact that the hospital has no right to do a blood test. This should have been completed and would have been had you not been farang. Ive acted as a helper at Hua-Hin hospital on many an occasion after receiving calls and this should have been performed. Someone has given the doc some medicine so to speak for all this Tis disappear quietly. Simple old chap and welcome to your new home!

Agree with the poster who said HE should have been on the left hand side, closest to the oncoming traffic, whilst SHE should have been on the right and more protected. This is just common courtesy.

There is no actual proof that the bike rider was either drunk or even over the limit, lacking this proof the OP and his girlfriend were at least partly responsible for this accident.

Of course the police response and action was pathetic.

• Like 1

4: you should have also asked the hospital to call the police also or you should have told your g/f to call the police at the hospital.

There is something called "Shock" case you're unaware of the term. In those Hospitals ("Government", they don't have State Hosp in Thailand) there's a very small percentage who speak English, which could add to the confusion & sudden culture shock but I think more the Hosp itself if it's the 1st time you've been in a 3rd world Hosp where their is usually just one doctor on staff.

Common practice would be to just clean & bandage up the cuts/wounds.

The hospitals is not obligated to involve the police & without a police number or the ability to speak Thai, the victim's friend calling would be pointless, or even filing a report would've been useless. How many people as a tourist knew the police phone number & the ability to speak Thai. Proper procedure would be to go to the police station the next day & speak to a English speaking officer.

"Shaurene", apparently you know nothing about this country.

Oz893

I really just made of common sense suggestions. I said for him to ask them call police, you know, put your hand to your ear like phone and say police and dial your finger mate. Finger talk works when you try it works. I am 73 lived here 12 yrs learnt a lot seen a lot, worked in so many countries and did not speak their tongue but managed with fingers and signs. Worked all the time and gave them a laugh mate, try it before you shout your mouth off. My old Dad told me to put your brain into operation before you open your mouth.. If they all had your knowledge it would be a waste of time for people to ask other people for advice.

The thing is these people were from what I read in the OP, under-educated tourists with Thailand, so to complain about actions taken after an traumatic accident in a foreign country is quite rude or insulting. Understand comments after of the "why this & that", & with response I agree, but to judge them as response & actions just after the accident & in all the confusion with the hospital scene is very mean. When bleeding & in much pain, not to mention dazed & frustrated, you can't just pick up a phone & dial a number you don't know & speak a language which you also don't know. Police in Thai is not same in English & in a tonal pronunciation. Then there's the guy on the other side of the line. How will you say, your at the hospital & what hospital & what happened? You going to take one of the frantic English speaking workers away from another patient or ask the doctor, "pardon me, I know your patient is dying but can you make a call for me?"

• 2 weeks later...

1.) That's the first thing I said to her. We should have, with hindsight.

2.) When you walk in they check that you have health insurance before they treat you. Why would they penny pinch when they know the insurance will be covering whatever the bill amounts to? I think they were just lazy/busy.

3.) I mentioned internal bleeding to her, I was less worried about broken bones at the time because they're not critical.

4.) We did ask the hospital to call the police, over and over. They told us to go to the police station after.

On a road with no footpath it is basic road safety to walk facing oncoming traffic.

We were.

I read this in the last ThaiVisa but in a reply to some one's comment you said you were unconsciousness in the hospital, I think but in your blog you were not.

Think you read it wrong, then.

Agree with the poster who said HE should have been on the left hand side, closest to the oncoming traffic, whilst SHE should have been on the right and more protected. This is just common courtesy.

There is no actual proof that the bike rider was either drunk or even over the limit, lacking this proof the OP and his girlfriend were at least partly responsible for this accident.

We were in single file, one behind the other (so as not to get hit by passing vehicles). I jumped out of the way, she was less quick to move.

I ignored the first few responses saying that we were to blame on the assumption it was fishing for a reaction but there've been quite a few now; I'm a little worried they may be serious posts? We were not at fault, in any way, I can't be any more clear on that.

If my girlfriend was injured I would not be waiting for the system to get around to fixing her up, or not, I'd get pro-active and get it sorted myself.

Shame on the OP for complaining his girlfriend didn't get the treatment she needed when he refused to get his wallet out to pay for it.

How chivalrous of you. She could afford to pay for it, the other guy offered to pay for it, and she had health insurance anyway, she had 3 options there and didn't need a 4th.