Buying a fairly expensive toy on Ebay form a seller with ZERO feedbacks

TramsRepus

As topic says. I have been looking for one for weeks and the rarely few out there are all overpriced and time is running away. Does anyone know if Ebays Money Back Guaranty really works. This purchase is around $6000 and it has a Ebays Money Back Guaranty "sticker" on the ad. I would feel bad if i lost them and also loosing even more time.

So, does anyone around here who know if Ebays Money Back Guaranty really works and for any amount... I read it excludes cars, services etc but not this measurement machine that im intending to buy'

Thanks

/T

A few thoughts, firstly the Ebay money back guarantee does work (I've only used it a couple of times for small, non-arriving items), but ensure you follow the requirements to the letter (like pay using PayPal).

Where is the seller located?

Does he show photos of the actual item or generic images?

Is he suggesting a non-PayPal payment route?

I'm sure others can come up with more warning signs.

Initiate a dialog with the seller. Ask him (or her) to send a photo of himself with the item and with a very recent newspaper headline in view that is readable so you can be absolutely sure it is current.

I used to do this when buying collectible cameras from unrated sellers. This at least confirms that they have the goods they are advertising.

Edited by dddave

A few thoughts, firstly the Ebay money back guarantee does work (I've only used it a couple of times for small, non-arriving items), but ensure you follow the requirements to the letter (like pay using PayPal).

Where is the seller located?

Does he show photos of the actual item or generic images?

Is he suggesting a non-PayPal payment route?

I'm sure others can come up with more warning signs.

yes I would also insist in only Paypal payment.

Thanks guys for your feedback.

But if scammer, they would scam Ebay, not me as om am protected via Money Back policy, right?. And if a scammer he/she would probable chose a more known product than a industrial measurement and digitizer arm. Right?

Edited by TramsRepus

But if scammer, they would scam Ebay, not me as om am protected via Money Back policy, right?. And if a scammer he/she would probable chose a more known product than a industrial measurement and digitizer arm. Right?

The thing is that if it is an item not as described, you will get your money back, but not the eventual import duties, and you will have to pay for the return shipping.

Unless it is a fake item, and you have clear proof that it is fake, in that case you get your money back, again without eventually paid import duties, and you will keep the item.

Always look at the seller rating. I never buy from someone with a seller rating below 98.5%.

• Like 1

The thing is that if it is an item not as described, you will get your money back, but not the eventual import duties, and you will have to pay for the return shipping.

Unless it is a fake item, and you have clear proof that it is fake, in that case you get your money back, again without eventually paid import duties, and you will keep the item.

Always look at the seller rating. I never buy from someone with a seller rating below 98.5%.

It will be shipped to HK as i work there now and then besides Thailand.... And HK does not have any import duties.

Edited by TramsRepus

I do think, because you asked, your gut feeling says "don't do it." I wouldn't. There are so many scams on ebay, so why trust someone with zero feedback. i have been scammed by paypal when i sold something, and i don't recommend them either.

i'm sure your item is not one-of-a-kind, so wait until a better seller comes a long.

trust your gut

Edited by puukao