Norwegian Seriously injured in 2nd floor fall from Jomtien Hotel

webfact

Balconies: deadlier than guns. What have us humans ever done to deserve this relentless persecution by balconies?

Ban all balconies! Round them up, off to the firing squad with them. Set packs of rabid dogs loose on those evil balconies.

Nothing wrong with balconies per se, bloody gravity is the real culprit.

A solid wall +/- 1/2 metre high with 2 or 3 well tethered rails above would be better than most balconies I see.

Edited by Bpuumike

Why is it always assumed people are attempting suicide? I reckon many of these 'jumpers' are likely accidents. Balconies in Thai hotels/condos are notoriously low and many farang are tall/overweight/like a drink. Not saying I'm either of the above but on many occasions have felt nervy when leaning against these low balconies as the weight shifts. Just sayin.

Hope he makes a full recovery.

US standard for guard rails is >36 inches, but are often as high as 4 feet.

Here, I have seen railing as low as 24 inches and heard of an incident of 18 inches (trip height).

My Jomtien condo balcony railing is 1 meter (39 inches).

ANyone notice that he appeared to be some distance from the building..??

Even if the guy was paranoid and jumped to get away from someone/something as was suggested, you don't normally dive head first. You would expect the injuries to be to the legs if anything.

As it was only the second floor a better option would be to hang from the balcony and let yourself fall.