Do I even have to do a 90 day report?

The extension on April 17th was my second extension so am I delinquent in not submitting a ninety-day report at the same time that I got my extension? I will be traveling to Japan for a couple of months beginning on May 20th. Should I now do a late ninety-day report and pay a fine? I misunderstood (I think) that I didn't need to report if I obtained my yearly extension before the date that I was due to report. Thanks for your advice.

Guess I'm getting confused now regarding a 2nd extension. Did you re-enter Thailand January 20th with a new Visa and 90 days later extended the permission of stay based on that Visa? If so, than that, April 17, is the first extension of that new Visa permission of stay and you are fine. If you used a reentry permit based on a previous extension to come back into the country then yes, you will be late.

Will see if one of the visa mods can verify but pretty sure my comment is correct.

I used a re-entry permit from my previous year's extension to enter on January 20th. I left last year before a ninety-day report was due so I haven't actually made any ninety-day reports yet but it looks as though I've missed this last one. I guess it's back out to Major Hollywood again this week!

I understand there is a requirement to report every 90 days. But what if you don't? Let's say, I don't leave the country for 3 years and never report, I just renew my visa every year as per usual.

What are the implications?

I understand there is a requirement to report every 90 days. But what if you don't? Let's say, I don't leave the country for 3 years and never report, I just renew my visa every year as per usual.

will cost you in fines if you don't report

If I don't ever report, how will they charge me a fine?

If you go in to do an extension there is a possibility they will notice that and hit you for the fine. Happened to me that way. It was clear when they pointed it out they were not going to give me the extension until I settled up on the 90 day report. That was about 10+ years ago.

If you go in to do an extension there is a possibility they will notice that and hit you for the fine. Happened to me that way. It was clear when they pointed it out they were not going to give me the extension until I settled up on the 90 day report. That was about 10+ years ago.

That implies they actively look for the 90 day check in sticker in your passport. I wonder if they are supposed to look for that?

Otherwise, if it's just a fine, even if it's 5,000 or 20,000 it would be worth it given the time and expense required to report every 90 days. Expense as in gas and tolls. Time as in at least 4 hours of your day. Probably costs me 400 baht in tolls and gas, that's 1,600 per year and the time cost is higher.

There is no sticker for 90 day reports. It is the bottom section of the reporting form that serves as a receipt for the report.

The fine for not reporting or reporting late is normally 2000 baht but it could be up to the max of 5000 baht.

The 20k baht fine is for overstay not for 90 day reports.

That implies they actively look for the 90 day check in sticker in your passport. I wonder if they are supposed to look for that?

Otherwise, if it's just a fine, even if it's 5,000 or 20,000 it would be worth it given the time and expense required to report every 90 days. Expense as in gas and tolls. Time as in at least 4 hours of your day. Probably costs me 400 baht in tolls and gas, that's 1,600 per year and the time cost is higher.

In some areas now the process is part computerised, so any failure to report will show up against your passport number.

In times gone by (I am sure this varied from area) the officer would 'fine' you 1,000 THB for a 90 day failure to report - cash to top jacket pocket with a smile, or 2,000 THB if you wanted a receipt.

This nice little earner made it a detail that a less scrupulous immigration officer would pay attention to.

If you are that far out then consider mail in option for the 90 day report. So no real excuse unless you just have no problems with being illegal.

As for 'supposed to look for that' it is an immigration matter and have the right to do so.

I wonder if the record of ninety-day reports is now computerized in Bangkok. From the conversation on this thread, I seem to understand that if the reports are not computerized, the evidence for having done the report would be the the bottom part of the reporting form which, I assume, is supposed to be stapled into your passport or at least presented with it. I had everything transferred into my new passport on April 17th so I am thinking of skipping the report that was due on April 19th. Maybe they will think that the bottom part of the reporting from was in the old passport which, of course, I will not be carrying from now on.

Tywais, How much was your fine? How did they notice that you hadn't done a ninety-day report? Did you miss more than one report? Thanks.

Tywais, How much was your fine? How did they notice that you hadn't done a ninety-day report? Did you miss more than one report? Thanks.

It was the standard 2000 baht. After I went to file the report and pay the fine a stamp was put in my passport indicating the failure and the fine amount.

They noticed when I went in to get my annual extension based on work that it wasn't in the passport. She asked where was it and if I have reported. At which point she pointed to the building next door to get the 90 day cleared and come back to complete my extension.

The first 10 years I worked here I never did a 90 day report as there was no enforcement of it and nobody I knew was doing it so seemed unimportant at the time. So guess you could say I missed around 40 90 day reports. tongue.png I have not missed one since as that time I got caught out was when they started strictly enforcing the rule. So 10 years now of diligently submitting my 90 day reports.

My visa is O-A. Arrived on 3 February 2014. Stamp says 2 February 2015. No where does it say I need to do 90 day check or mention anything about 1 May 2014. I thought I did, but after looking at the stamps; I'm not sure. Thanks!

I guess the OP missed the instructions from the Thai Consulate or Thai Embassy that issued his O-A Visa

Information for O-A visa holders while staying in Thailand

1. Every 90 days, the visa holder must report to an immigration office. If there is no immigration office in the visa holder’s residence area, the visa holder must report to local police station.
  2. If the visa holder wishes to extend their stay after one year, they should submit a request at the Immigration Bureau with documented evidence of money transfer, a deposit account in Thailand or an income certificate. These documents must show funds exceeding 800,000 Baht.
  3. If the visa holder’s spouse wishes to extend their stay as well, a marriage certificate must be produced

Source: http://www.thaicgny.com/%E0%B8%A0%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%A9%E0%B8%B2%E0%B8%AD-%E0%B8%87%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%A4%E0%B8%A9-english-version/visa/o-a-visas/

Or

At the end of the 90-day stay , the foreigner must report to the immigration officer in his or her residence area and report again every 90 days during his or her stay in Thailand . The foreigner may report to the police station if there is no immigration office in his or her residence area.

Source: http://www.thaiembdc.us/dcdp/Non_Immigrant_Long_Stay

When I get my O-A every two years I get a note back with my passport and new visa reminding me of the 90 day report requirement

If you are that far out then consider mail in option for the 90 day report. So no real excuse unless you just have no problems with being illegal.

As for 'supposed to look for that' it is an immigration matter and have the right to do so.

But really my question is: What if I don't report? What are the implications? Nobody seems to address this.

But really my question is: What if I don't report? What are the implications? Nobody seems to address this.

Exceed 90 days of legal stay with no 90 day report made within -15/+7 days of 90 day point, get caught out - max fine 5,000 THB, Normal Fine 2,000 THB, 'top pocket' fine 1,000 THB.

Clear?

Exceed 90 days of legal stay with no 90 day report made within -15/+7 days of 90 day point, get caught out - max fine 5,000 THB, Normal Fine 2,000 THB, 'top pocket' fine 1,000 THB.

Clear?

So really, if you don't bother doing it and do get caught, which seems unlikely, you only get a small (relatively speaking) fine. Seems odd. Wonder what percentage of people just don't bother reporting.

So really, if you don't bother doing it and do get caught, which seems unlikely, you only get a small (relatively speaking) fine. Seems odd. Wonder what percentage of people just don't bother reporting.

You haven't addressed the issue of not getting your annual extension if the Immigration Officer notices that you failed to follow the rules. That seems to me a good enough reason for doing what you are supposed to do

But if you want to flout the rules go ahead, just make sure you send us a postcard from back home if you get caught

You haven't addressed the issue of not getting your annual extension if the Immigration Officer notices that you failed to follow the rules. That seems to me a good enough reason for doing what you are supposed to do

But if you want to flout the rules go ahead, just make sure you send us a postcard from back home if you get caught

Is this a fact? If you don't do the 90 day reporting, the immigration officer can choose to not give you your annual extension? Do you have any source for this?

Is this a fact? If you don't do the 90 day reporting, the immigration officer can choose to not give you your annual extension? Do you have any source for this?

Of course they could. You would be in violation of the immigration act that all extensions of stay are based around.

They could even reduce the length of your extension if they wanted to. Lets say 180 days instead of 365 to give you the chance to prove you are ready to comply with the act.

Section 37 is the rule and 76 is the penalty. You can look through the Immigration_Act_EN.pdf and I am sure you could find a clause that gives them the authority to do it.

Did some homework: Thai Immigration Act 2522

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the following :

5. If the alien stays in the Kingdom longer than ninety days, such alien must notify the competent official at the Immigration Division in writing, concerning his place of stay , as soon as possible upon expiration of ninety days. The alien is required to do so every ninety days. Where there is an Immigration Office , the alien may notify a competent Immigration Official of that office.

Section 76 : Any alien, alien, who fails to comply with the provisions of Section 37(2),(3),(4)or(5) shall be punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht and with and additional fine not exceeding 200 Baht for each day which passes until the law is complied with.

So, it looks like that if Immigration chose to prosecute and not fine you, then the court also has the option of fining the offender 200 THB per day over the 90 days, on top of the 5,000 THB fine.

There is also a clause in the same act, Section 36 which says that your extension can be cancelled, if there a 'proper reason', I guess that failing to comply with section 37(5) could be deemed as 'proper reason' if they wanted, albeit a bit harsh.

Section 36 : Where there is a proper reason , the Director General or the Immigration Commission shall have power to revoke permission previously authorized the alien to stay temporary in the Kingdom , whether or not the Director General , or the official deputized by the Director General , has granted such permission.

One source is my own personal experience as I explained in a previous post. After 10 years of no reporting (no enforcement at the time) I went in for my annual extension based on work and they made it clear that until my 90 day is dealt with they weren't going any further with my extension. I don't understand why you keep pushing for a way to operate illegally.