I just had 'Ai Farang' shouted at me.

Som wat

At a gas station. A fair translation would be 'Piece of Sht Westerner'. biggrin.png

Stopped at the pump. Got off my bike. Then 'Ai Farang' shouted loudly. Looked around and there were a few different groups of lads.

Just laughed and told the attendent 'Awww, pbaak waan'. (sweet talker). They just looked all confudled at this. Cannot compute that sarcasm exits, never mind what it is, poor things.

Funny ol' country. smile.png

Edited by Som wat

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

At a gas station. A fair translation would be 'Piece of Sht Westerner'. biggrin.png

Stopped at the pump. Got off my bike. Then 'Ai Farang' shouted loudly. Looked around and there were a few different groups of lads.

Just laughed and told the attendent 'Awww, pbaak waan'. (sweet talker). They just looked all confudled at this. Cannot compute that sarcasm exits, never mind what it is, poor things.

Just say "bpai loii, hum noi...!

Piss off little dick! :)

Lucky for me, I don't know what "Ai" means. I would have just assumed he was yelling "hi farang" and said hi back.

It adds emphasis to the insult for males.

Ai Hia would be a major insult in Thai. Hia being a monitor lizard.

A fair translation would be 'You piece of sht ........'. :)

Lucky for me, I don't know what "Ai" means. I would have just assumed he was yelling "hi farang" and said hi back.

A fair translation would be 'You piece of sht ........'. smile.png

the hia is pronounced more as "here" with emphasis on the end of the word.

A fair translation would be 'You piece of sht ........'. smile.png

the hia is pronounced more as "here" with emphasis on the end of the word.

Yeah, a teacher I knew used say the teenage lads in BKK would retort 'I Hia.... you', when told not to do something. To the untrained ear of the TEFL techers it would just be ' I hear....you'.

Very respectful people.

• Like 2

Just say "bpai loii, hum noi...!

Piss off little dick! :)

Stunning grasp of the Thai language there. Stay in the bars you'll not last long on the outside

Never been in a go go bar........ Yet

I know that one. That is a major insult.
Its one that will get you a severe problem. Stupid to post here. Using that won't impress anyone even the hookers...but could seen you in hospital or worse... Edited by HeavyDrinker

According to a on line dictionary it is a [noun, vulgar] [rude insult same as [thai script removed] [hiia]

Mid having a look on the site apparently Ai can also mean [a (non-derogatory) word used by a pet owner by placing it in front of his/her pet's name to indicate fondness]

blink.png

In Northern Thai, the long vowel form of "ai" is a polite way to address a gentleman.

I didn't know this and wondered why my gf of the time's friends were being so offensive in using it to address me, then figured it must be a joke/friendly thing. Needless to say when I decided to join in the 'joke' by calling her friend "ee Pinn", jaws dropped, silence fell.

I'm sure some of the "I don't eat no sh*t" TV ex marine types will soon be on telling you you should have gone all Segal on them and you're awimp etc

Your comment speaks more to those that condone such behavior by passing it off as nothing happened. What, no self respect or afraid?

My experience suggests Thais reserve derision for fat, beer gutted, drunken, foreign slobs.

Or any one of the five, when they are in their " lets get some '' mood. Its most likely when they are in a pack, had a snort or three. and have no money to continue drinking, eat or get laid.

The Thai's seem to like using intials give them this one, What to do F, F, or E.?

I know that one. That is a major insult.

My girlfriend always told me it was a nickname, she used to call me like that even in public.

was it due to your tongue perhaps?

• Like 1

My experience suggests Thais reserve derision for fat, beer gutted, drunken, foreign slobs.

Really?

From what I've observed they reserve it for people they are jealous of (resent), feel inferior to, those they can treat without repercusion, those they view as lower than them socially.

You probably haven't been here very long.

I'm sure some of the "I don't eat no sh*t" TV ex marine types will soon be on telling you you should have gone all Segal on them and you're awimp etc

Your comment speaks more to those that condone such behavior by passing it off as nothing happened. What, no self respect or afraid?

Maturity and being an emotionally and psychologically sound adult without any underlying anger or emotional issue?

• Like 2

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Really?

From what I've observed they reserve it for people they are jealous of (resent), feel inferior to, those they can treat without repercusion, those they view as lower than them socially.

You probably haven't been here very long.

WRONG !

Been here a very long time , married to a Thai and speak Thai!

And your claim to fame is ?