Fed Up With Pheu Thai, Activists Form Alternative Party

Lite Beer

Fed Up With Pheu Thai, Activists Form Alternative Party

BY Khaosod English.

13980863881398086444l.jpg

BANGKOK — A group of activists has founded a new political party to pursue a variety of progressive reforms they say have been neglected by the ruling Pheu Thai Party.

The CPT also advocates passing an amnesty bill that will dissolve legal cases against Redshirt demonstrators (excluding their leaders) in connection with the political unrest in 2010.

Party chairman Thanapon Siyakool announced the formation of the CPT in a press conference on Sunday at The Emerald Hotel in Bangkok.

"The motto of our party is Equality Across Thailand," Mr. Thanapon said.

He was joined at the press conference by a number of prominent academics who praised the CPT although they have yet to officially become party members.

Nidhi Eoseewong, a prominent former history professor from Chiang Mai University, told the audience he fully supports the CPT’s vision for decentralisation, particularly the idea of replacing officials appointed by Bangkok bureaucrats with ones elected by local residents.

Although the disparity between urban and rural development decreased after the victory of former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra's populist Thai Rak Thai Party, the problem nevertheless persists, said Mr. Nidhi, and successive governments allied to Mr. Thaksin have failed to genuinely solve the issue.

"No political party has ever succeeded. But today's society has changed a lot. Who knows, the Commoner Party may succeed in this task," Mr. Nidhi said.

His comment was echoed by Prapat Pintobtang, a lecturer on local politics from Chulalongkorn University, who said the Commoner Party is a much-needed choice for the poor and those who wish to advance reforms through legislation.

"All these years we have lacked a political party that campaigns alongside the popular sector," Mr. Prapat said.

Suthachai Yimprasert, who teaches political history at Chulalongkorn University, said Thailand's democracy is currently being challenged by the "undemocratic" demands put forth by anti-government protesters, led by the People's Committee for Absolute Democracy With the King As Head of State (PCAD).

"They call it reforms, but what they offer is not reforms. Things like unelected parliament and appointed Prime Minister, these are not democratic," Mr. Suthachai said. "The real reforms should advance human rights and strengthen the people's voices."

Although party chairman Mr. Thanapon said the CPT is intended to be an alternative for voters disappointed by Pheu Thai's shortcomings, Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong Nopparit nevertheless attended the press conference and presented Mr. Thanapon with a flower bouquet to show his courteous support.

The CPT was officially listed by the Election Commission (EC) on 5 March, and it can legally run in the next election called by the EC.

Mr. Thanapon is currently serving as chairman of Kasetsat University's Society of Political Science. He has campaigned with various NGO groups for economic and social reforms, and is a longtime friend of Mr. Somyot Prueksakasemsuk, a labour activist who is serving a prison termfor lese majeste.

Mr. Thanapon was also once a close friend to Somsak Thepsuthin, a leading member of the Bhumjai Thai Party, but their friendship is thought to have cooled after the Bhumjai Thai Party remained allied with the Democrat Party during the military crackdown on Redshirt protesters in 2010.

Source: http://en.khaosod.co.th/detail.php?newsid=1398086388&section=11&typecate=06

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-04-21

Is this Thaksins new party just in case PTP get dissolved ? I just cant imagine him calling it the commoner party.CPT has a certain ring to it tho.Wasnt decentralization and local elections by the locals one reform Suthep is pushing?

Edited by dinooz
  • Like 1

This lot sound even more stupid than the PTP.

This is no more than a red shirt splinter group.

There will never be an elimination of disparity between the poor and the normal.

social polarization will always produce political polarization and the very fact that there will never be a Thailand that is fully educated to a suitable standard, then this will never be cured. The northerners have proved that they adapt to education and mental stability a human adapting to life on Mars.

Thaksin wants to keep the northern masses uneducated and ignorant.

Even if a government came to power that forced everyone in the north to take on board a free and high quality education, they would waste it with their ignorant northern 'Thainess' ways.... Thainess and intelligent row different boats in different directions.... period.

It would take about 100 years to educate the Thainess out of the people so that intelligence and logic can reign in this country and only then there will still be political polarization.... same as the UK.

It is what it is.

• Like 2

What took them so bloody long ? It's all up for grabs to whoever can make the populist headline that gets viral.

End result is the same as always, of course. You need to change the people first if you want any real change.

If ever there was a time to muscle in on the Big Two this is it. They have so little appeal now they could easily be called the Ugly Sisters.

So what about the Cinderella party? No money but everyone will want to go to the ball. smile.png

I don't know the people behind this new party and have better things to do than find out - but it is an interesting development and not unexpected. At some point either in this election or the next there will be a new voice emerge that claims to speak for the disadvantaged sections of Thai society. Don't ask me if this bunch are that voice - personally I had expected it to be a more direct splinter off PTP.

In politics perceptions are more important than facts - although will tend to call then political fact, lol.

Before anyone goes as dismisses that chance of this party they need to consider the political history of N/NE and that of Thaksin and his political parties. Thaksin had a lot of things in his favour. There was a large group who perceived that they were disadvantaged, continually disparaged and without the means to do anything about it. While everyone knows that he had money and the power to go with that (TIT) I don't know that every really understands the full implications. In a social and cultural sense there had already been someone with money and power of a different kind that had been and still is considered to be a friend. They were lead to believe that Thanksin would act in the same way.

We know that the rural disadvantaged considered that he had given them a voice and that he was able to harness that belief - sometimes this has had deadly consequences (intended or not). Many/ most of us also believe that he misused that trust and betrayed those who voted for him through the various incarnation of his party. The perception of the voter base that PTP relies on has increasingly moved in this direction -to what extent is hard to quantify. After the amnesty bill erupted I was interested to see just how many people from that voter block changed their profile pictures to the anti bill icon (it was bloody confusing for a while). With the help of the wife I looked back through a about 600 of the facebook friends which is a "self-selected" group and clearly bias because most are between the ages of 18 and 45.The group is 95% Isann with a 30% city, 30% provincial and 40% rural split What was very evident was that predominantly the "sample" was PTP supporter even 1 year previously yet there was not the slightest criticism of anyone who criticised the bill nor has there been any criticism of the comments about the rice scheme, In that same sample there was not the slightest indication that anyone would consider voting Democrat. The one person who had actually bee on the streets in the days of the large numbers openly stated that he had withdrawn because it was becoming more about PRCD. What I do know is directly related to this group there is the older generation and in all honesty the support or PTP has held up better in that group.

What is clear to me is that there is a lot of people who voted PTP last evection who might potential vote for a 3rd option. Within the group I was looking at I would guess that to get their support a new part would probably have to be centre/center left politically be a grass roots based organisation and find candidates who are active and know in the community. Time will tell if this party can deliver, or deliver at this election

• Like 1

There will never be an elimination of disparity between the poor and the normal.

social polarization will always produce political polarization and the very fact that there will never be a Thailand that is fully educated to a suitable standard, then this will never be cured. The northerners have proved that they adapt to education and mental stability a human adapting to life on Mars.

Even if a government came to power that forced everyone in the north to take on board a free and high quality education, they would waste it with their ignorant northern 'Thainess' ways.... Thainess and intelligent row different boats in different directions.... period.

It would take about 100 years to educate the Thainess out of the people so that intelligence and logic can reign in this country and only then there will still be political polarization.... same as the UK.

It is what it is.

I am married to a Thai from the north and she is an exception to the rule, but as I have lived in Kalasin for 2 years not, I can sadly say this poster os totaly correct

Even my Thai wife with her strict Issan culture can not longer stand to stupidity of her relativea and their kids, and we have purchased property in Hua Hin

As another poster said " a splinter party " full of BS speeches about helping the poor, when in effect it has beenj set up to dilute the votes and in the case of a possible coalition would certainly side with the "Taxin clone party" rolleyes.gif

Edited by Chupup
  • Like 2

It is what it is.

Sounds like yet another BKK Elitist Rant. Maybe you're one of those Suthepistas who believe the people in the north shouldn't be allowed to vote because they are "too stupid" and just a bunch of buffalo. You ever actually been north and east of BKK, or just regurgitate what you read and others like you tell you? Got news for you, I'll take the northern and northeastern "Lanna" and "Lao" Thai over the BKK "Siam" Thai any day of the week. And as for their "lack of education", that falls squarely on the shoulders of the BKK elite who DON'T WANT an educated north and north east so they can keep the "buffalo" in the rice paddies and under BKK Elitist control.

Yeah, Thaksin has also done such a great job at educating those "uneducated" from the North . . . his education policies made during all the years he has held power have made a huge difference in changing their ability to think for the better . . . thumbs up to Thaksin for all the efforts made :)

• Like 1

It is what it is.

Sounds like yet another BKK Elitist Rant. Maybe you're one of those Suthepistas who believe the people in the north shouldn't be allowed to vote because they are "too stupid" and just a bunch of buffalo. You ever actually been north and east of BKK, or just regurgitate what you read and others like you tell you? Got news for you, I'll take the northern and northeastern "Lanna" and "Lao" Thai over the BKK "Siam" Thai any day of the week. And as for their "lack of education", that falls squarely on the shoulders of the BKK elite who DON'T WANT an educated north and north east so they can keep the "buffalo" in the rice paddies and under BKK Elitist control.

You can't blame Bkk or Thai elite for un educated north or n/e Thais.

I spend most of my time in Issan and they really are quite hopeless out in the villages. Hopefully the next generations will live for tomorrow, not just day by day living, desire an education, and not follow in their parents and grand parents footsteps. From what I see it is quite sad.

Btw... no where did Woopydoo mention bunch of buffalo.

I agree, it is what it is.

After they get a few MPs, I'm sure Thaksin will make them a generous offer to abdicate to his latest party. Thaksin had only one accurate political insight, that most Thai politicians are bought cheaply and easily.

Aye, that be the truth, I couldn't have put it more succinctly myself. That is why Prompong showed up with some flowers, wishing them well.

It is what it is.

Well this is news to me. The BKK people and Suthepistas don't want the northern people to vote. I think you are making this up. If this is part of their platform I haven't seen it published anywhere else. Please mark future postings as fantasy. The previous poster is also a little lacking in logic and respect.

• Like 1

The CPT huh? Sounds familiar. There used to be another party in Thailand called the CPT.

One part of the red shirts are "former" communists.

You can't blame Bkk or Thai elite for un educated north or n/e Thais.

You sure can. You can blame Bangkok and the elite (incl. Shin clan) for all the uneducated people in this country.

The powers that be are not interested in educated masses. Real education improvements have been held back for a long time. The number 1 priority of schools is to drill into everybody: Obedience and complete subservience to everybody older, richer, more educated and whiter. This is why debating is not taught here.

They might start questioning the status quo with REASONED arguments.

Can you imagine? The downtrodden questioning their betters? The very thought.

One person (maybe) paid 300 baht a day, while they have to accept that their children are run down and killed by their superiors driving their white Porsches.

Edited by EvilDrSomkid
  • Like 2

It is what it is.

"There will never be an elimination of disparity between the poor and the normal."

I think this sentence tells the casual reader all they need to know about you and your approach to humanity. I would normally attribute such a comment to a total scumbag so would respectfully ask you to reconsider it and rephrase in case it was typed in haste. Otherwise, your credibility as a serious poster has been shot once and for all as far as I'm concerned.

PS - In case you're wondering, I'm referring to your contrast between 'poor' and 'normal'.

• Like 1

After they get a few MPs, I'm sure Thaksin will make them a generous offer to abdicate to his latest party. Thaksin had only one accurate political insight, that most Thai politicians are bought cheaply and easily.

I don't see them as being that far removed from the PTP, particularly with their desire to resurrect the Amnesty Bill, albeit watered down somewhat in order to gain wider appeal. Nevertheless, their stance demonstrates that they are closely aligned with the Red Shirts.

What's missing from Thai politics is a 'centre' party with some political clout. If some important (and squeaky clean) political figures were to come out on a platform of reforms and condemnation of the worst aspects of both the PTP and the Democrats, I have no doubt that they would command a very wide audience.

Aye, that be the truth, I couldn't have put it more succinctly myself. That is why Prompong showed up with some flowers, wishing them well.

There could be a lot a reasons why he turned up - none of them are good

• Knowing that his presence would discredit the "new party" to some of those that realise the need to see the end of the Shins
  • Collecting names for investigation or "special attention"
  • Hoping that they will run in seats that democrats will win if the don't participate in the elections because of lack of reforms
  • Trying to create a false impression that PTP encourages open and competitive elections
  • Trying to work out how much of a threat they could be to seats that PTP expects to "hold"

None of that changes the fact that there are seats that PTP will get by default unless there are viable candidates running against them. There are seats that may wish to vote against PTP but would never vote democrat - in a democracy people deserve choice (it remains to be seen if they get he opportunity in this election).

As to what this party stands for and who it may cooperate with remains to be seen. Lets see what candidates they find and what seats they run in.

After all it is a Thai election.

As for the concept that Thai politicians can be bought cheap - guess there may be two bidders so the price may be alright, lol

I've said from the start that the Red Shirts need a leader who represents them (not simply the same old faces from PTP and the TRT roundabout).

The PTP made virtually no places for Red Shirt Leaders in the PTP, despite the PTP being wholly reliable on the Red Shirts for power - it is the Red Shirts not the PTP who hold the power.

I only hope that Thanapon Siyakool and his CPT leaders understand that by advocating direct involvement of the citizenship in Government (bypassing the PTP/TRT old guard) they are putting themselves in directly between the likes of 'Lam and the power they need to continue robbing the country.

I'd advise security.

A lot of security.

• Like 1

It is what it is.

You really should start widen your knowledge and read more. The Northern provinces especially Issan is the fastest growing in whole of Thailand. Growth at 40% against country average 23% and greater Bangkok 17%. Monthly income rose 40% by 2011. Private investments rose 49% in 2012 and total amount invested more than double to USD2.3B. Taksin and Yingluck policies have changed the North and more money poured into the region far exceeded Ahbisit government. The infrastructure projects will greatly enhanced the potential of the North being close to Mynmar, Laos, Cambodia and China. With the increase of middle income families, education also improved. Honestly have you been to Issan?