Cost of living in Chiang Mai

Foxter

As regarding the 65000 baht monthly income from the UK or part of; I am not sure how much currency exchange rate, £1s to bahts they base this on? I know it isn't usually the going rate of the day the visa application is made.

Best to check with the British Embassy or Consulate on this one.

If the OP is going to use the income method to justify his visa, the 65,000 baht/month income doesn't have to flow into Thailand. He just has to be able to demonstrate to the British Consulate (or maybe now it's just the Embassy) that he has an income of 65,000 baht/month prior to paying his bills -- i.e. loan payments, electric payments, whatever.

If he's using the 800,000 baht bank account method (which it doesn't seem like he is), then the bank account must be in a Thai bank.

It is possible for a foreigner to own a house here, just not the land that it occupies.

I use the income verification at the U S consulate here in Chiang Mai and have never been asked about bills. Just what is my monthly income. Immigration has never asked either.

Sorry I just noticed the word prior in your post missed it the first time.

Edited by northernjohn
  • Like 1

Foxter; I have lived in the Hang Dong area for almost 7 years now, 3 Bed Bungalow, bought and paid for, only two in family. I have Aircon in Master Bedroom and Lounge but used rarely as we don't feel it's required very often. At the moment we are going through the hottest part of the year but fans do the job for us on most days/nights. Our average Electricity Bill last year was 550 Baht and we are all electric for cooking as well. The price for electricity is slowly rising but i would not expect our bills to average a great deal more this year.

I use the 'Marriage Extension' method for visa which only requires 400,000 Baht in a Thai bank account, which is enough in my humble opinion. Of course to use this method you need to be married 'by register' to a Thai National and i am not sure if you are or not.

Whatever you do i wish you good health, luck and welcome you to the community of Hang Dongers. It's a great area to live in.

• Like 1

If the OP is going to use the income method to justify his visa, the 65,000 baht/month income doesn't have to flow into Thailand. He just has to be able to demonstrate to the British Consulate (or maybe now it's just the Embassy) that he has an income of 65,000 baht/month prior to paying his bills -- i.e. loan payments, electric payments, whatever.

If he's using the 800,000 baht bank account method (which it doesn't seem like he is), then the bank account must be in a Thai bank.

It is possible for a foreigner to own a house here, just not the land that it occupies.

I use the income verification at the U S consulate here in Chiang Mai and have never been asked about bills. Just what is my monthly income. Immigration has never asked either.

what are the income verification methods?

how strict?

what are the income verification methods?

how strict?

See your inbox.

"I will be looking for a retirement visa".

We all know what you mean, but for heaven's sake don't use this terminology or the TV 'semantic police' will be on you before you know it. wink.png

because there is no such thing like a retirement visa. Pattaya Immigration adds a stamp "RETIREMENT" to a "permission to stay in Thailand" just to confuse people and then have some fun reading a zillion irrelevant postings in relevant threads of ThaiVisa.

laugh.png

post-35218-0-19481300-1398228828_thumb.j

• Like 2

^ Why the inbox? Why not let us all in on the USA verification method: Isn't it just the word of the individual?

Yes it is. But there are other ways that Thai Visa rules prohibit.

And putting them on Thai Visa publicly means that immigration is eventually going to feel that they have to crack down on them. Using PMs does not rub it in their face.

• Like 2

If you are getting your O-A in your home country; the 800K can be in your own local bank in your own local currency. They had a calculator at the Consular Services desk to convert the equivalent. Since I can get a new year, when I re-enter the country (on the last day of validity) on a multiple entry one year...that gives me about 22 months before I need to have the 800K in a Thai Bank. I have already started bringing it over...just doing 4 chunks of 200K, and buying Time Deposits that are paying me 2%.

Edited by Thighlander

Thanks for the replays , just to clarify , have got good legal advise , the land is leased to me for 30 years and the house is in my name .

I have a pension that covers my visa but just wanted to know if it's calculated at sourest or has to be in Thailand. I am clear now. Thanks for all

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1