Cost of living in Chiang Mai

Foxter

This is my first post as I am new to this forum . I have bought a house in Chiang Mai and currently in the UK and moving out soon .

The question is simple , I will be looking for a retirement visa , I have a pension but have been told several contradicting things. So is the amount I receive from my pension calculated from my pension to my uk bank or does the money have to be in a Thai bank .

The reason is simple, I can get a cheap load in the uk from a credit union, which is taken out from my pension before hitting the bank. So if it's calculated from money in Thailand , taking money from my pension would effect the calculation, toward the retirement visa .

I hope I have explained it ok.

An extra question , in a normal 3 bedroom house in a moo ban in hang dong, what the normal monthly cost for electric etc .

Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Welcome to Thailand and to Hang Dong. You have chosen well. smile.png

Regarding your electric bill it very much depends if you are an aircon or fan man. CM is less humid than most of Thailand due to the elevation but the a/c here will account for at least half your bill. You can probably take 2000 pm baht as a ball park figure and adjust it up or down accordingly.

Chok dee!

Thanks Bigbamboo. We have no AC at the mo but will most likely get one or maybe two

not sure if it is the same costs as bangkok,

but I was running the a/c all night in the bedroom,

and mostly all day, in the living room, and the bill was never more than 1200 baht

these new machines seem pretty efficient,

of course, as soon as they turn off, it gets hot fast

You bought a house in CM? How? In your name?

Did you get legal advice?

Not having a dig but I have been there and done that! Cost a small fortune!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

You bought a house in CM? How? In your name?

Did you get legal advice?

Not having a dig but I have been there and done that! Cost a small fortune!

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What interest of ours is it if or how he bought a house? He says he did, shouldn't that suffice?

His first concern is with finances in a Thai or UK bank. And, as has been addressed by some, he's also concerned about the cost of his monthly electric bill.

• Like 1

Just another thought regarding the electric. I have lived in a few areas in Chiang Mai and saw a difference in rates of almost double the lowest one. I lack the correct nomenclature but as an example 4 baht per (??? Hour) versus 7 baht per (??? Hour). In short....A LOT WILL DEPEND ON WHERE YOU LIVE AND THAT WILL DETERMINE YOUR RATE. I never lived in the Hang Dong area so I don't know about there. Check it out!

Just another thought regarding the electric. I have lived in a few areas in Chiang Mai and saw a difference in rates of almost double the lowest one. I lack the correct nomenclature but as an example 4 baht per (??? Hour) versus 7 baht per (??? Hour). In short....A LOT WILL DEPEND ON WHERE YOU LIVE AND THAT WILL DETERMINE YOUR RATE. I never lived in the Hang Dong area so I don't know about there. Check it out!

Were you renting and paying the electric to your landlord? I know landlords charge all different rates for electric but if the guy has bought a house then I would think he would get it cheaper because he would deal with the electric company direct.

Pbay.

You are correct. I always rented and I think at times there was some landlord gouging. Purchasing a house and dealing directly with the electric company/govt should make for a better rate. But I also thought there were some areas where there were lower company/government rates? Maybe some subsidizing for some more rural areas. Hang Dong would probably NOT be one of these areas.

Thanks for your replays , they are helpful , and I did get legal advice , I am covered and understand the land ownership thing for falangs , or should I say the lack of it.

• Like 1

Thanks for your replays , they are helpful , and I did get legal advice , I am covered and understand the land ownership thing for falangs , or should I say the lack of it.

If you've already closed on the house , I wouldn't worry about the elect bill...... You will find ways to adjust that level thru your personal usage.....

but

If your legal advice came from a Thai lawyer locally, ......... then.........

thats what you should worry about.....

(just joking of course....... maybe ??? ,,,,,, lawyer joke u no )

Foxter,

Since you said you have recently started posting and you are looking for good advice about Chiang Mai, and in case you haven't found out yet..... Uptheos is one you can count on the advice being good. Many other "armchair" experts you should be wary of the varacity of their advice .... I am included in the second sentence... except for the 1st sentence, of course.

Regarding electricity: I would say since you already "bought" the house, you are in for the long term... Go visit PEA and ask them your questions. If you bought the house, the house should have its own electric meter and there shouldn't be anyone adding anything to the invoice.

A person comes around our village every month, reads the meter, and prints the bill on the spot. PEA puts a little receptacle near the mailbox where they will leave the bill.

• Like 1

Thanks Bigbamboo. We have no AC at the mo but will most likely get one or maybe two

not sure if it is the same costs as bangkok,

but I was running the a/c all night in the bedroom,

and mostly all day, in the living room, and the bill was never more than 1200 baht

these new machines seem pretty efficient,

of course, as soon as they turn off, it gets hot fast

There's not too many places with insulation. That sure makes a difference.

My neighbours had their ceiling insulated, and the Thai wife complained for months about it being too cold and the air con not running!

Foxter,

Since you said you have recently started posting and you are looking for good advice about Chiang Mai, and in case you haven't found out yet..... Uptheos is one you can count on the advice being good. Many other "armchair" experts you should be wary of the varacity of their advice .... I am included in the second sentence... except for the 1st sentence, of course.

Regarding electricity: I would say since you already "bought" the house, you are in for the long term... Go visit PEA and ask them your questions. If you bought the house, the house should have its own electric meter and there shouldn't be anyone adding anything to the invoice.

A person comes around our village every month, reads the meter, and prints the bill on the spot. PEA puts a little receptacle near the mailbox where they will leave the bill.

A month or so after I moved into a rented house, my landlady came over, waving a small slip of paper, and telling me I hadn't paid the water bill.

I had no idea it was in a little, broken, plastic tube outside the gate.

The annoying thing was, that the bill was only 80THB, but the late payment fine was much more than that! They had even sealed off the meter some days before, which was unsealed before I'd got back to the house.

As I have a 4 day water tank here, I didn't notice the level dropping.

Live and learn!

As for the money you need 800,000 baht in a Thai bank for at least two or three months. Not sure.

Or if you have a guaranteed income of over 65,000 baht a month. that is the system I use and every year when I go in to extend my retirement visa I have to go to the U S consulate and get a letter from them stating how much I receive every month.

I have the proof with me but for some reason the U S consulate never asks to see it. Just raise your hand and do you solemnly swear blah blah blah. I also take the proof with me when I go to extend my retirement visa for a year. The one time I tried to show it at immigration they were not interested in it they had the letter from the U S consulate. Not sure but I think the British Consulate will ask to see the proof of income. For what it is worth I received my retirement visa in Vancouver Canada at the Thai consulate there.

Welcome to Thailand

• Like 1

"I will be looking for a retirement visa".

We all know what you mean, but for heaven's sake don't use this terminology or the TV 'semantic police' will be on you before you know it. wink.png

Thank God someone is of the same mind set as me. It really pisses me off when some politically correct <deleted> has to mention the "no such thing as retirement visa" thing.

The legal profession refer to "retirement visa", immigration staff refer to "retirement visa"... we all refer to "retirement visa" So ! all you 'semantic police' out there... repeat after me... "retirement visa" "retirement visa" "retirement visa".. now, that didn't hurt a bit, did it ?

If it did cause some pain, even just a little... get over it !!!

And a bloody good day to you all.

Mal.

I hear sirens. biggrin.png

As for the money you need 800,000 baht in a Thai bank for at least two or three months. Not sure.

Or if you have a guaranteed income of over 65,000 baht a month. that is the system I use and every year when I go in to extend my retirement visa I have to go to the U S consulate and get a letter from them stating how much I receive every month.

I have the proof with me but for some reason the U S consulate never asks to see it. Just raise your hand and do you solemnly swear blah blah blah. I also take the proof with me when I go to extend my retirement visa for a year. The one time I tried to show it at immigration they were not interested in it they had the letter from the U S consulate. Not sure but I think the British Consulate will ask to see the proof of income. For what it is worth I received my retirement visa in Vancouver Canada at the Thai consulate there.

Welcome to Thailand

Just curious. Why do you take the unwanted proof and try to show it to the consulate and to immigration? Won't anybody else look at it?

• Like 2

Regarding your electric bill it very much depends if you are an aircon or fan man. CM is less humid than most of Thailand due to the elevation but the a/c here will account for at least half your bill. You can probably take 2000 pm baht as a ball park figure and adjust it up or down accordingly.

Chok dee!

We are in a 2 bedroom house in Hang Dong. November to February av bill around 8000 baht

March to May, hot dry season, av bill 2,000 baht

June to November ,rainy season, av bill 1,200 baht.

Running 3 aircons,not all on at once,4 ceiling fans most of the time , Insulation does help but not cheap ,quoted 25,000 at our place for high quality ,that buys an awful lot of electricity,depends on how long you intend to stay there I guess.

• Like 1

Welcome to Thailand

I believe 65000 baht notarized letter only works for U.S. citizens thanks to the Amity Treaty between the USA and Thailand.

I do hope that you have strictly abided by Thai law when you purchased your house in Chiang Mai. The majority do not, otherwise you could face problems in the future. I would be interested to know exactly how you purchased the said property the legal way as you have claimed?

Your pension income is accessed by the Immigration Department in Thai baht only, the imposed amount to be deposited with a Thai bank in Thailand.

For the first Non Immigrant O Visa based on retirement, 65000 baht monthly pension income or 800000 baht in the bank or a mixture of both 2 months prior to your visa application or extension then after that, either a pension income of 65000 baht per month, 800000 baht in the bank or a mixture of both 3 months prior to your visa extension application. If you are going to use the 65000 baht per month method or any of your monthly pension income towards your annual visa application, then you must obtain a document of clarification from the British embassy. Not sure whether or not the British consular in Chiang mai still issue these documents?

Chok dee!

We are in a 2 bedroom house in Hang Dong. November to February av bill around 8000 baht

Running 3 aircons,not all on at once,4 ceiling fans most of the time , Insulation does help but not cheap ,quoted 25,000 at our place for high quality ,that buys an awful lot of electricity,depends on how long you intend to stay there I guess.

Your winter electric bill averages the same per month as your hot season bill?

• Like 1

Chok dee!

Sorry typo, 800 baht........wai.gif

Chok dee!

Sorry typo, 800 baht........wai.gif

Just wondered if you needed an electric heater in the winter? biggrin.png