Air Canada - Shame on you !

yermanee

The fault not the employee as this a very tiring job by lifting 20-30 Kg bags every times, they should have belt to lift and reload baggage .

So? I'm sure they were not hired to drop the luggage but to load and unload.

• Like 1

airlines handle baggage now? once it leaves the checkin, it belongs to the airport staff - so blame the right people <deleted>

If your baggage gets damaged or lost who compensates you, the airline or the airport ?

As soon as your baggage leaves check-in it becomes part of the agreement between you and the airline according to their general conditions.

That the airline has subcontracted the handling is of no consequence to this agreement.

I don't know what expletive you used because it's <deleted> but I'm sure it's not very nice, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for your apology.

Yermanee

Edited by yermanee
  • Like 1

Those bags were treated way better than if they had been checked. You should see the abuse a baggage sorting machine gives to bags, way worse than been gently dropped 3 metres onto generally soft sided bags. The handler should have used a belt, but I can tell you working in that environment for over 30 years, a belt isn't always available, so the handler has three choices, 1 / delay the flight, until a belt can be found,. 2 / Risk grave injury to himself by carrying the bags down the narrow steep small tread bridge stairs, which would also probably have led to a delay, or 3 / doing what he did. With the way management is always pushing for on time departures, he really only had one choice. It would be interesting to know how many baggage damage reports resulted from that incident. My guess is none.

Yes Air Canada should be ashamed, but the shame is they did not come out and apologize, and explain why the employees did what they di, to get the flight out on time. They should explain that it was far to dangerous for the employees to carry 20 plus bags down the stairs, and that a belt was not available. They should explain that the employees considered the risk of damage to the bags compared to the problems created by a delayed departure and the employees decided that the risk of damaged bags would be minimal, and the problems due to a delayed departure great. So the employees made a decision to gently drop the bags and get the flight out on time. Air Canada should say that they will do everything they can to prevent this situation from developing in the future, by either making sure a belt is available or attaching some sort of chute to the bridge. Dont blame the employees, they have to try to make the system work and made a decision to do that. Personally I think they made the right one.

Edited by Issangeorge
  • Like 1

airlines handle baggage now? once it leaves the checkin, it belongs to the airport staff - so blame the right people <deleted>

Another candidate for the unnecessarily gratuitously hostile response award on ThaiV. smile.png

The field is large.

• Like 1

Another candidate for the unnecessarily gratuitously hostile response award on ThaiV. smile.png

The field is large.

I guess that means I lose a star for that deleted f.f.s lol

Air Canada apologized on youtube where the video was posted. It issued a public apology and apologized on its FB.

They were indeed Air Canada personnel.

Baggage handlers were suspended and then terminated.

Union is appealing.

FYI Airport personnel handle the interior baggage sorting and delivery system. Airline personnel load the airplane and overflow carryons.

Edited by geriatrickid
  • Like 1

Air Canada apologized on youtube where the video was posted. It issued a public apology and apologized on its FB.

They were indeed Air Canada personnel.

Baggage handlers were suspended and then terminated.

Union is appealing.

well then I take back everything I said apologize to the esteemed members of this thread:)

Now for AC - burn them!!! lol

• Like 1

Hi,

The root cause goes right back to the check in procedure. The bags have obviously been taken off the passengers prior to boarding as deemed to large or heavy for the over head storage onboard.

Still no excuse for dropping the bags from that height tho, but give the staff the proper tools to deal with these issues if they arise.

• Like 1

In fact, these are not checked in luggage, it is carry on baggage that did not fit in the overhead lockers as they were full.

So you put your laptop, camera etc into your carry on so you can look after them, Air Canada has a disclaimer that they are not responsible for any damage to camera gear by the way) and then tell you that you can not take on your carry (not your fault) then they throw it down 20 feet.

A Good reason to boy-cott Air Canada.