Dell Studio XPS 1645 DVD-RW

hml367

I have had 2 problems in a short time since having this laptop for about 4 years with no trouble...

Chicog !!! Help !!! anyone really.

The Bluetooth got sorted. Now my SCSI\CdRomOptiarc_DVD+-RW_AD-7640SHD18 will not read a disc. When I insert a disc it doesn't change anything like it reads the disc,m although the computer does some work.

I have tried updating with the driver from Dell and it says Windows has determined the best driver software for your device is already installed.

Did this problem happen after a windows update? With the latest "background windows update" this weekend (win 7 home) I had some problems pop up with permissions (printer and my outlook.pst file). Had to set permissions for both to access properly again. You may want to just quickly review the properties and permission on your drive, if you have not done so already.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

It could be that the drive just died, I had a problem with mine that it didn't want to read some discs, burning discs was no problem but reading was.

So I changed the drive (Oke I have a Desktop PC, so that's no biggie) you could opt for an external one

like : http://i.nvade.it/3eT

Edit: // Added Ps

Ps: You could try cleaning the drive ?

http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-clean-your-dvd-drive/

Edited by MJCM

If you can see the drive, right click and Eject to open/close it, but put discs in and it can't read them, I'd try the following, sorry if I'm stating the obvious:

(1) Make sure the Disc is properly formatted.

(2) Make sure it is compatible with the drive (e.g. not a Bluray)

(2) Get one of those cleaning kits to clear all the skin, dust, etc. off the drive lens.

Can you still burn discs?

Thanks, Chicog.

No problem about asking ME about obvious things - as you know, I often forget the obvious!

The drive is one that does not "open/close", however it does eject. In fact, it ejects on it's own when I try to read an inserted disk, saying to insert a disk... like it doesn't like the disk that is in it. This happens also if I try to burn something to the disk through the sharing menu.

I think I might have an old cleaning disk here.. I will also try that.

I started to run the My Dell hardware diagnostic (software, not the one that works before loading windows) and it apparently knew the difference when I inserted a dvd to run the CD test... Then I had to run out of the house to check something and never finished... I will get to that now.

I will post what happens one way or the other...

I inserted a CDR I had written a long time ago on another computer and the drive read it normally.

I then put some DVDs in and it does nothing. If I try to open the DVD in any way it ejects and a pop-up gives a message to insert a disc

The other thing I would suggest is that you go to Dell's Support site and install the latest drive firmware:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/studio-xps-1645/drivers

You'll have to select x64 Windows 7 since this doesn't officially support 8.1, but as it's firmware it shouldn't make a difference.

You'll see the OptiArc 7640S there under Removable Storage.

Are you sure it's a DVD drive?!

Have you put an unformatted DVD in it to see if it lets you format it?

I have been using it to read play, and write DVD's. I don't remember the last time I burned anything, but not too long ago. Reading was quite recent.

One thing I noticed is the first driver listed was for AnyDVD. I uninstalled AnyDVD and that took that driver off but the didn't change.

I uninstalled the drive in Device Manager and restarted and it was installed but, again, no change in performance.

I will go look at the link you just gave in another post. I do have the latest firmware I could find from Dell, but maybe not the link you gave.

Thank you again for your help.

That is the driver/firmware update I have.

I can't find the disc drive cleaner I had. I will pick one up tomorrow or the next day. If that doesn't work I'll see about just having it replaced.

Is it correct that there are 2 optical reading heads - 1 one for CD and one for DVD - in a drive such as this?

Edited by hml367

Don't think so, just a single lens, and they soon get covered up with everyday detritus.

I think that is good news??? If it will read a CD at least the optical reading head works... Could be just too dirty to read a DVD???

I will get one of the cleaning kits and see if that works.

I can't remember if I have ever cleaned it... I got the computer around November, 2009.... go figure!

I'll let you know what happens.

I found this solution to Dell loptop reading CD but not DVD, hope it is of healp

http://www.saibharadwaj.com/blog/2011/05/solved-dvd-drive-reading-cd-but-not-dvd/

Thank you for passing that along. I did try this with the numbers replaced for my drive (the Class key in Number 16). There were no Upper Filters or Lower Filters keys to delete.

I found this on the Microsoft Knowledge base as one step in trying to resolve this problem. The steps there also included adding a key if and after deleting the Upper and Lower Filter keys. As I said, it did not work for me, but I may try it again.

Thanks again for contributing.

A bit off topic, but what are you using a cd/dvd drive for anyway?

I hardly ever use mine on the desktop pc anymore and my Dell ultrabook don't even have one.

All my movies/music/photos and whatever are on ext hard drives.

A bit off topic, but what are you using a cd/dvd drive for anyway?

I hardly ever use mine on the desktop pc anymore and my Dell ultrabook don't even have one.

All my movies/music/photos and whatever are on ext hard drives.

I have hundreds of videos on DVD ( and a lot more on VCD), but most importantly is to burn discs of videos (not movies from Hollywood) I want people to see.

I also have an Ultrabook with no installed rotating drives. Since the computer in question has a removable disc drive, I want to use it.

ALL RIGHTY ! ! ! I ran the lens cleaner through a few more times and now it is reading the discs.

Chicog and everyone else, I await your scoldings!!! I DESERVE THEM !

Thank you to everyone that responded.

You'd be amazed how much crap these things can gather over the years.

Did you use the textile-covered disc with the solvent spray? In my experience they are the most effective.

Where I went today I only found the discs with the brushes on them. I did use the liquid with them.

The drive isn't working 100% yet... I am continuing to try, though.