Fatal Bangkok crash: Teenager sentenced to 2 years imprisonment for reckless driving

webfact

BANGKOK: -- The Appeals Court today sentenced a female teenager to two years imprisonment and banned her from driving until she turns 25-year-old for reckless driving that caused death to nine passengers in a fatal crash on the expressway in December 27, 2010.

The prison term, however, was commuted to four year probation instead with 48 hours of charity working for one year.

The incident happened on the night of December 27 when she rammed her sedan at a taxi van on the expressway near Kaset intersection.

The van fell off the expressway on the ground. Nine passengers were killed.

She was 16-year-old at the time of the incident and therefore her name was upheld.

She was making a mobile phone call while driving on the expressway.

The verdict of the Appeals Court was read to her at the Central Juvenile and Family Court late this morning.

She was earlier in August 2012 sentenced by the Central Juvenile and Family Court to three years in prison but commuted by one third to two years in prison.

The prison term was, however, probated for three years, plus three year behavior control, 48 hours of working to caring road accident patients, and report authorities every three months. She appealed the sentence.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/37693/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-22
  • Like 1

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently she thinks that the sentence is still too harsh as she is appealing.

Edit: Realised that I misread that. This is the slightly increased sentence following her appeal of the original sentence.

Edited by whimsy

Oh no, no corruption in the courts in this country. You're a joke that I love so much Thailand, like a sick codependent relationship, but is this for real!!!!!

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

Out of curiosity, what would be the punishment for 16 year old say in US or AU or UK?

I know of a 16 yr old in the US who was drunk, smashed his car into another head on and killed 2 people. This was his 2nd offense for drunk driving. He was given 25-to-life. Spent two yeas in Juvie, and when he turned 18, sent to an adult prison, where he was later knifed to death in a fight.

• Like 2

The prison term, however, was commuted to four year probation instead with 48 hours of charity working for one year.

Seriously? No comment Words fail me

For starters 48 hours per WEEK is not enough. Any sentence for the parents who aided and abetted the crime ??? Keys given ?? who owned the car---JOKE.

Headline looks cool, and still well short. But then reading all the rest, turned out different. PEWK.

• Like 2

I know a kid that is mentally retarded, you can't help notice he is not playing with a full deck. He got 5 years for joyriding on a motorbike, the owner left the keys in the ignition. After riding about a bit, he returned the bike to where he found it. It disturbed me greatly that his mental state was not considered in the case. I doubt he had any idea what was happening. Five years later, he's out, then runs away from his family to hang out with his new found ex con buddies. TIT

Parental care--non existent --state help-same. TIT.

^Pralaad SameSameButDifferent: The AFFLUENZA DEFENSE Lives On

16-yr old Texas teen gets 10 years’ probation for causing a DWI wreck that killed four people and devastated three families late 2013:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/12/12/the-affluenza-defense-judge-rules-rich-kids-rich-kid-ness-makes-him-not-liable-for-deadly-drunk-driving-accident/

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/12/10/5408563/teen-sentenced-to-10-years-probation.html?rh=1

Out of curiosity, what would be the punishment for 16 year old say in US or AU or UK?

In the State of California for a similar offense a youth can be incarcerated up to the age of 25 in the California Youth Authority (CYA). However circumstances can mitigate a sentence, stolen vehicle and/or intoxication for example.

^Pralaad SameSameButDifferent: The AFFLUENZA DEFENSE Lives On

16-yr old Texas teen gets 10 years’ probation for causing a DWI wreck that killed four people and devastated three families late 2013:

http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/12/12/the-affluenza-defense-judge-rules-rich-kids-rich-kid-ness-makes-him-not-liable-for-deadly-drunk-driving-accident/

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/12/10/5408563/teen-sentenced-to-10-years-probation.html?rh=1

Yes my understading is that in the state of Texas is that consuming beer while driving was not considered even an infraction until recently.

Wasn't there a kid from a rich Texas family in the US recently who walked after killing 4 teenagers while drunk driving? The defense was affluenza. That judge should be shot.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Hard to say in OZ , after the do gooders are finished , probably the same out come

Seriously? No comment Words fail me

She appealed - those 6 days' community work and the driving ban is too harsh, huh?

What about the adult who gave her the car to drive?!?? If I hand a loaded gun to some teenage girl and she shoots somebody, wouldn't I be in trouble, too?

One thing is clear, some farmer's daughter would have no lawyer and no means to appeal. she would be rotting in jail...