To the Farang, I met in Tesco.

Costas2008

Do you think all white people should say hello to all other white people?

Not even all Greeks feel the need to say hello to all other Greeks. Even if they happen to be white...

So even easier to answer if from time to time if one say hello to you, for whatever reason! Confusing with somebody else for instance. OP is right totaly ignoring a nod is boorish behaviour, dot!
  • Like 1

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"So according to the OP there is only one tesco in khon khen."

Eight that I can remember. Think there might be more.

Were you there? NO

So, close it..........nothing of substance to say.

I understand where you are coming from, OP.

In most countries, we are a minority and very very unorganized compared to other nationalities who set up in our home countries.

They set up their own businesses, banks, TV and Radio stations and communities.

I think what you were looking for was a bit of comradery (sp?) or friendliness from your fellow Farang. Some recognition.

In smaller areas and towns, you can get that but I would not expect it in the bigger cities because we are just a dime a dozen.

I usually just do a simple nod of the head and walk on.

If I've got a question to ask, I don't hesitate to do so and start some small talk.

Cheer up!

• Like 2

Well a lot of jumping to conclusions on this thread.

So here' are mine.

The bloke might have been crook and didn't want to be bothered.He might have just had a blue with the mrs and had the shits or maybe he is depressed or deaf .

There are heaps of reasons for the reaction he gave.

Sounds a bit insecure to me.

Anyway to the bloke with the Lennon story.

I seen yoko the other day.

She's still on her own O!!

Do I have to say from now on "hello" to all the farangs I meet here in Thailand ?

NO...but if someone takes the time to give a courteous "hello"...it would be nothing else but polite to acknowledge the said "Hello"...then move on if you want to.

• Like 2

I think you might find some farangs snub other farangs when they see them up country as they feel they might be doing something stupid as in allowing the GFs or wife to lead them around like a Water Buffalo while taking all their cash. Just a guess now.

• Like 1

I totally misinterpreted what I was going to read based on title. I thought it was going to be something along the lines of....."to the hansum farang I exchanged glances with in Tesco, I wanted to pluck up courage and give you my number. If interested I was the one smiling at youwhile we sorted through the pig intestines...call me"

...you can imagine how disappointed I was LOL

• Like 1

Not everyone is polite. Maybe he was a Turk?

Clearly, this is a joking shot at Mr. Costas, who apparently identifies as Greek. However, I have traveled in both Greece and Turkey, and found the Turks to be much friendlier than the Greeks. The food is better, too. Don't get me wrong, Greeks are cool. They invented both democracy and buggery, a winning combination.

Back to the topic at hand...getting frosted out by other farangs. I have seen that a lot here in Chiang Mai. In the street I generally wear a neutral mask of semi-friendliness, that could be construed as almost a smile. Sometimes we'll give each other a nod in passing. But mostly nothing. Walk on by.

Some guys, though...shoot you a look that is downright unfriendly. Don't want to point any fingers here, but in my experience these tend to be older French/Dutch/Northern Europeans. There's one guy that I see all the time at the fitness place. He looks like Pablo Picasso's twin brother, and he has shot me a lot of hard, disdainful looks. Now I play with him some, give him a smile and a good morning. He hates that, because then he has to break down the face and say (mutters) good morning back.

Best of all is the occasional hostile looks I have gotten from farang older ladies (my former 'dating pool'. argh!) when I am out with my Thai wife. She's sitting there with her husband thinking ...if Bob even looks at one of these tarts I will KILL him! Oh it's SO disgusting, look at that old fool with that...native child! And Bob's thinking...if only I could ditch Marge back at the hotel for two-three hours...!

• Like 2

One hour ago I started to read, thought Oh 3 pages, quick read and then go. But with every read page there were 2 new, ending in 7 pages by now. It is, however, one of the funniest threads I have read here. Lots of great humour, lots of illiteracy about other people, love it!

One thing I can imagine about OP Costa. Greeks are very warm, friendly people and their hospitality is famous. I have been many times in Greece, had a couple of Greek good friends when in Europe and I feel the way a Greek would love to spread the friendly warmth towards other farang.

There is a difference between big cities and the province, certainly Isan. Although KK is Isan it's a big city, hence more farang living in themselves. When I go to Tesco (rural Isan) I go to shop, but sometimes cross path with a farang, I look if there is eye contact and then a nod or a hello is the result. Sometimes, but rarely, you see the same guy in the food corner and it might be a reason to start a short conversation. If someone does not make eye contact I leave it as it is, for me no problem.

The Thai wives of farang are much more attentive. Think of this: some farang act like a general towards their wives, they pay at the cashier, order the wife to push the cart, etc. Those wives are kind of bored and you can see that. I always try to make eye contact and give them a smile, they love that and probably think: that's a nice farang. So I recognize Costa's contact with the friendly wife of the unfriendly farang.

Last:

kovaltech, on 23 Apr 2014 - 11:27, said:snapback.png

@ Costas2008

Kalispera...

kovaltech, if you try to speak a few words of Greek, know then that you don't say good evening (kalispera) at 11.27 am, the correct greeting is kalimera (good day). I don't pretend to be speaking Greek, I can read it thanks to some educational slavery in my youth :) but I know how to say good day, good evening and good night. Kalinikta kovaltech! coffee1.gif

• Like 2

haha Tesco is OK, we live in Cha-am mostly, no Tesco but big C and many farangs.

Mostly UK I think, they come here to retire, or sometimes they just can not leave .

Also some Australia , Scandinavia and so on.

But the Western community is very interactive, serious conversations about life and money and so on.

Mostly we meet in eating houses, same time same place see you tomorrow Fred

@ OP : this is what i call a STUPID post full of BS !

Do you really dont have anything else to do than trying to get people attrackted to you ?? Poor lad, get a life....

(and no, i'm not gonna respond to your reaction, you will have to live with it.... coffee1.gif )

So according to the OP there is only one tesco in khon khen. That farang reads TV or maybe his relatives/friends do and they will tell him.

A farang needs to say hi to another farang in a foreign country or where they are a minority even though technically speaking they are so different like how the greeks are so different from the english like a vietnamese is from a japanese.

Meanwhile in other stories an asian japanese started a thread on some type of greek forum for foreigners about how another asian looking guy totally ignored him when he said hi to him while his greek wife waved to him.

What a load of Bullshit.

We are all human beings.....and don't you dare give me the superiority lesson about English.

You sound like an English man if so what the hell are you waving a Greek flag for.

I was in New York City's Central Park in the late 70's walking down the West Drive which was closed on a Sunday. There was a guy there sitting on a bench with his wife and young son. I said Hello! although I never stopped walking and he gave a big smile and Hello! back.

The guy was John Lennon with Yoko and a young Sean.

I'd have befriended them, provided a heartwrenching hard-luck story about my life and finances and tried my luck.

The guy was just relaxing with his family on a Sunday afternoon. If I had stopped to chat he might not have been so friendly.

If you had stopped to chat...he might have been late for that fateful event and be still alive.

Its all your fault.

• Like 1

Based on your replies so far on this thread I think he was right to ignore you

I was thinking the same. Op sounds uptight/highly strung. Is it really worth spending time fluffing over it on here? Are there not more important things to do with one's time?

If you will look at Costas profile you will see that he has about 1500 posts and qbout 3500 Likes

Pretty good if you would ask me for an "Uptight/highly stung" poster

• Like 1