Thai editorial: Watching Newin from ringside

webfact

EDITORIAL
Watching Newin from ringside

The Nation

Controversial punishment of wayward teens divides Thai public

BANGKOK: -- We have a choice between brawl-loving teenagers and Newin Chidchob's controversial - some might say sadistic - measure to deal with the troubled youngsters. Support either side and we could end up being accused of ignoring a social ill or something even worse. It's not easy, and the deeply divided public opinion over what happened in Buri Ram during the Songkran festival has confirmed that.

The Buriram United stadium played host to a Songkran music event. As the football club's owner, Newin considered himself the ultimate guardian of the event, and while launching the festival he warned that security guards would grab any trouble-makers and put them in a boxing ring where professional boxers waited.

Five brawling teenagers were dumped in the ring and quickly became virtual punching bags. Video clips were released and the rest is history. Some applauded Newin's "innovative" approach while others branded him a sadist who took the law into his own hands. Commentators on the social media and on YouTube were sharply divided. Newin was either a hero or a villain. The bruised teens were either victims of an adult's twisted mind or cowardly bullies who hunted their prey in packs and got what they deserved.

Rights activists have stepped in and advised the humiliated teenagers to sue. The pro-Newin camp has hit back, calling for an end to such "pretentiousness". "We are a society so full of 'dramas'," a sports commentator quipped on the radio. "The kids were being hit by people who wore gloves and they weren't harmed anywhere near as much as their victims would have been." It was a sentiment echoed by many people tired of youngsters making trouble or actual victims of their aggression. One YouTube comment in support of Newin came from someone who said they had witnessed delinquents rampage through a public place with no regard for the safety of bystanders.

But why couldn't Newin have simply handed the teenagers over to police and let the law handle things? The compassion that fuels this question, asked by many, is understandable. It's one thing to watch footage of young boys armed with clubs or knives chasing after scared "enemies". It's another to witness a paling teenager on the verge of wetting his boxing shorts as he faces a professional boxer in the ring.

Newin also lectured the teen tearaways. Again, he was seen by some as an "old-fashioned" disciplinarian using drastic measures, albeit for the greater good, and by others as a maniac reaching far beyond his status. Whatever or whoever Newin is, brawls are unlikely to take place at future events to which his name it attached.

The pro-Newin camp might claim victory on this basis, since the other side based its argument on how bad it looks when kids start brawling. However, the anti-Newin camp can argue that, while they disapprove of the youngsters' violent behaviour, they dislike Newin's corrective methods even more. Newin's idea of "solutions" goes way overboard, the critics say. But has he at least given the teenagers involved pause to consider questions of courage versus cowardice, the virtue of being able to stand alone versus the unmanly method of ganging up against someone?

So, after abortion, prostitution, needles-for-drug-addicts, Thaksin Shinawatra et al, here's another controversy for society to ponder. No one got killed or seriously injured during the brawls or the infamous "boxing matches" at the Buri Ram stadium, so we could call it a draw between the pro- and anti-Newin camps. This is, after all, an issue in which right and wrong overlap and where judgement is heavily influenced by personal experience.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-23

Another fine example of so called Thai justice or make it up as you go along.

If you are a ' somebody ' you can get away with almost anything be it a slap on the wrist for killing 9 innocent people or sentencing youths to summary punishment without due process.

All part of the Thainess YL claimed she was trying to export on her many overseas junkets.

• Like 2

If you are a ' somebody ' you can get away with almost anything be it a slap on the wrist for killing 9 innocent people or sentencing youths to summary punishment without due process.

All part of the Thainess YL claimed she was trying to export on her many overseas junkets.

When I was in high school we boys would fight at the drop of a hat. The principal initiated a new plan.He would take us to the gym. We had to remove our belts. The principal would say "ok boys now start swapping licks with the belts. And I'll tell you when to stop". Needless to say that cut down on the fights.

Internet issues up in Nong Khai this morning?

There is a world of difference between punishing and humiliating a few drunken brawling kids when compared to dealing with spoiled elite offspring getting away with murder off hand. Sometimes not even facing the rap at all.

I think most would love to see the elite heirs dealt with Newin style.

• Like 2

Sorry folks for multiple posts. i have no idea what went wrong and i assure you i don't have a stutter.

Thank you three times

Whaaat,whaaat,whaaat diiid you say.Only joking no offence meant nongkhaikid.

Think nothing of it. Offence HAS been taken cheesy.gif

If you go down this path then anyone can take the law into their own hands.

It's the justice system that needs overhauling and not just in Thailand but in many countries around the world

How many times have you seen in your own country lenient sentences handed down to some of the most vile acts.

Why didn't you mention the police force and their selective law enforcement? Of course people take the law into their own hands if they have no confidence in this corrupt police force.

The police force needs overhauling urgently. THAT would solve most problems.

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 2

Im with Newin on this one too.

Newin is a clever and very rich former politician.

As Godfathers of the province Buriram he and his dad knows very well what is going on in this country.

Newin is not old.

Im quite shure he will be back in politics and then his time will come. He is just waiting and doing his football club hobby in the meantime.

Edited by Mentors

Years ago, the UK government, having voted against retaining capital punishment, turned its attention to corporal punishment, including that meted out on the Isle of Man for certain crimes - despite the UK government having no jurisdiction over IoM law. Why? Ironically because it was viewed as demeaning for the recipient, irrespective of how demeaning his crime might have been for the victim.

'It's one thing to watch footage of young boys armed with clubs or knives chasing after scared "enemies". It's another to witness a paling teenager on the verge of wetting his boxing shorts as he faces a professional boxer in the ring.' Let's forget the scared enemies bit and concentrate on the clubs or knives. The paling teenager might just learn a lesson that he will not learn from the application of normal legal penalties.

Sorry folks for multiple posts. i have no idea what went wrong and i assure you i don't have a stutter.

Thank you three times

surely you mean Thank you four times!thumbsup.gif

been having the same problems, only not as bad as Nogkhaikid! wai.gif

• Like 1

"I mean, they're not gonna kill ya, so if you give

'em a quick short, sharp, shock, they won't do it

again. Dig it? I mean he get off lightly,

'cause I would've given him a thrashing - I only hit him once!

It was only a difference of opinion, but really...

I mean good manners don't cost nothing do they, eh?"

Pink Floyd. "Us and Them"

Edited by ggold

Newin has a very high opinion of himself and to be honest is really starting to annoy me. At every Buriram game he has to have his face on the tv and is always seeking publicity. This is a perfect example.

His wealth is phenomenal (building F1 tracks and paying ex Arsenal players 2 million baht a month) yet he never appears on rich lists and it clearly all came through his time as a dodgy politician.

The truth is that in Buriram whilst there are many who appreciate his investment locally there are more who are terrified of this old school mafia style boss.