Local boats ignore teens and leave them to drown in Chao Phraya River

webfact

I watched the clip and listened to the conversation among one of the survived boy and boat operators at the end of the clip, I do not blame those two passing by boat operators. Due to motor boat noise, those boat operators did not hear the cry for help and they must have thought those kids were playing around. Also based on a comment on FB that there are kids like swimming in that area despite of numerous warnings of risk drowning.

The boy who swam back to the bank asking those boat operators to helps his drowning friends but those boat operators told him that his friend were already drown.

The person is to blame is the camera man who wanted to post this footage on social network!! He/she wanted to film this accident without bothering to go rescue those kids. He/she is more concerned of getting the "Like" on FB.

Actually..... My wife has already seen this on the news, and the locals there were interviewed.

It appears that these same kids on numerous occasions have faked drowning so that people jump in to rescue them and they swim off and all there mates laugh at the idiot who jumped in the water... a harmless prank, but they cried wolf and it ended with a big som nam na.

The person who shot the video also explained that they couldn't swim and apologized.

So now you have the facts.

The kids were to blame.

So it is "A boy who cried wolf" !!

Karma.

it is a sad affair, for sure,

strong swimmers would know early if the water is too strong for safe swimming

there is also the likelihood they were weighed down by clothes, something all good swimmers would know, never to do,

if they were wearing shorts, that would be a lot of weight

these were just kids? one was 20.

that is not a kid

As far I know that Thai men swim topless and wear shorts and young boys swim naked.

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thailand and its Thai people, as selfish a group of people I have ever met ... me me me

Not saying you are incorrect but remembering a legit story about a tourist in China who found a new-born baby girl laying on the side of a street. She took the child and gave it to a police officer who then threw it into a trash box. Then of course there are the American bankers..... seems to me they are quite a selfish lot also.

There are so many reasons for people to be selfish.

Frankly though I cannot fault the two in the boats, to me it looked as though neither saw any distress and likely saw a few kids having fun in the water.

A tragic lesson here: There should have been only one victim. It appears that the second who went to rescue the first was not experienced and possibly not a strong swimmer. I remember being told never to attempt to rescue a drowning victim because their instinct is to grab you around the neck--and hold on fiercely, dragging you under. I'm not an experienced swimmer but seem to remember that to rescue someone you must manage to come up behind them to prevent just that.

As far as the person taking the video I doubt that there was a rope or flotation device, had there been one, it would have long since been removed.

What I learned, 20 years ago, was that you should never have direct contact with the drowning person. Neither from the front or the back, as he will, as you say, almost certainly panic and hold on to your neck, dragging you down. What you must do instead is to extend something for him to hold on to. A battery-powered flotation device that automatically pulls to the nearest shore would be best of course, but lacking that, anything else, be it a stick, a belt, or even just your shirt. Throw it to the person and ask him to hold on to it, and then try to pull him with you to the shore.

Should he still manage to grab you directly and try to drag you down, you are in serious trouble. Do not waste your power resisting, but instead try to push yourself even further down in the water until he lets go of you, as at that point you are the one dragging him down. Even when panicking he will, hopefully, let go of you then.

I think the local lifeguard test at that time involved having to hold onto a person (directly, even though we were learned never to do that. Hmm.) and pull him with you, head above the water, for 50m or something like that. Not sure how far it was, but quite certain it was not more than 50m. Even though we were all quite fit young people, and fairly good swimmers too, and this was in a swimmingpool without any waves or other complicating matters, it was quite tiresome. 50 metres does not sound like much, but more than one of us needed to do the test again, and again, as they ran out of power before completing the 50m. Either running out of time or out of power.

After that, all those stories about people jumping out into the river to help somebody drowning, and ending up drowning themselves also, made a lot more sense to me.

Lifeguards also need to learn how to spot somebody who is in trouble, rather than just playing in the water. Contrary to what many of the somewhat retarded bashers here seem to believe, that is far from obvious in many cases.

Ignoring the barstool-warriors always so happy to bash the citizens of the country the live in or are visiting, presumably due to some inferiority complex on their own part, it seems much more likely that the boatmen had no idea there was a problem. Just some kids, a few metres from the shore, playing in the water. Probably the boatmen see this countless of times every week, and had little reason to think they should study the scene in detail. I suspect they feel terrible about it now though. :-/

• Like 1

Thailand and its Thai people, as selfish a group of people I have ever met ... me me me

Not saying you are incorrect but remembering a legit story about a tourist in China who found a new-born baby girl laying on the side of a street. She took the child and gave it to a police officer who then threw it into a trash box. Then of course there are the American bankers..... seems to me they are quite a selfish lot also.

There are so many reasons for people to be selfish.

Frankly though I cannot fault the two in the boats, to me it looked as though neither saw any distress and likely saw a few kids having fun in the water.

A tragic lesson here: There should have been only one victim. It appears that the second who went to rescue the first was not experienced and possibly not a strong swimmer. I remember being told never to attempt to rescue a drowning victim because their instinct is to grab you around the neck--and hold on fiercely, dragging you under. I'm not an experienced swimmer but seem to remember that to rescue someone you must manage to come up behind them to prevent just that.

As far as the person taking the video I doubt that there was a rope or flotation device, had there been one, it would have long since been removed.

What I learned, 20 years ago, was that you should never have direct contact with the drowning person. Neither from the front or the back, as he will, as you say, almost certainly panic and hold on to your neck, dragging you down. What you must do instead is to extend something for him to hold on to. A battery-powered flotation device that automatically pulls to the nearest shore would be best of course, but lacking that, anything else, be it a stick, a belt, or even just your shirt. Throw it to the person and ask him to hold on to it, and then try to pull him with you to the shore.

Should he still manage to grab you directly and try to drag you down, you are in serious trouble. Do not waste your power resisting, but instead try to push yourself even further down in the water until he lets go of you, as at that point you are the one dragging him down. Even when panicking he will, hopefully, let go of you then.

I think the local lifeguard test at that time involved having to hold onto a person (directly, even though we were learned never to do that. Hmm.) and pull him with you, head above the water, for 50m or something like that. Not sure how far it was, but quite certain it was not more than 50m. Even though we were all quite fit young people, and fairly good swimmers too, and this was in a swimmingpool without any waves or other complicating matters, it was quite tiresome. 50 metres does not sound like much, but more than one of us needed to do the test again, and again, as they ran out of power before completing the 50m. Either running out of time or out of power.

After that, all those stories about people jumping out into the river to help somebody drowning, and ending up drowning themselves also, made a lot more sense to me.

Lifeguards also need to learn how to spot somebody who is in trouble, rather than just playing in the water. Contrary to what many of the somewhat retarded bashers here seem to believe, that is far from obvious in many cases.

Ignoring the barstool-warriors always so happy to bash the citizens of the country the live in or are visiting, presumably due to some inferiority complex on their own part, it seems much more likely that the boatmen had no idea there was a problem. Just some kids, a few metres from the shore, playing in the water. Probably the boatmen see this countless of times every week, and had little reason to think they should study the scene in detail. I suspect they feel terrible about it now though. :-/

either boat could have rescues the kids, as they are both low to the water

what likely happened is, the 13 year old, drowned both of them, exaclty as described above

and if the 20 year old when in wearing shorts, he caused his own death, sadly

Pretty sad......The Thai apologists will have a hard time spinning this one... How in god's name

could a boat drive past a drowning person ??

In fairness, did the boats know they were drowning? Did the boats even realize the people were there?

I am not trying to excuse wrongful behaviour, but know one knows what really happened.

Eyes wide open "sees" it. Geriatrick is nodding off. Streuth mate wake up.

So, the boats did nothing, and the person filming did nothing. Great to see we are living in such a caring society now. Sad.

What was the videographer supposed to do, jump in and drown himself?

Oh well, the boys will be reincarnated soon, I guess.

• Like 1

RIP poor youngsters!

I would like to yell out to all of officials in the area of the incident to find those boatsmen as well as the camera man. These people must be facing the consequence of negligence of this degree.

Surely it can not be difficult as there is plenty of evidence and leads. This must not be forgotten. 2 youngsters loosing their lifes in this way is news today but have to be a kick off to a media campaign attacking THAIS own set of morals. This is far from a sole example.

Condolence to the 16 y.o friend and all the families concerned.

RIP poor youngsters!

I would like to yell out to all of officials in the area of the incident to find those boatsmen as well as the camera man. These people must be facing the consequence of negligence of this degree.

Surely it can not be difficult as there is plenty of evidence and leads. This must not be forgotten. 2 youngsters loosing their lifes in this way is news today but have to be a kick off to a media campaign attacking THAIS own set of morals. This is far from a sole example.

@ Magusol and Papa!

You are obviously right that there is little reason to jump headless into a house on fire or a rough river....."just" to save another person and risking your own life on the way. Nevertheless in the video is clear that NOONE even try to do anything. No sense of responsibility and this is wrong and in many parts of the world a criminal offence.

You even hear a male person yelling in the background: " Are they drowning?" Saying next: " Why are they also swimming there?" Which just indicate that he instantly blame the youngsters and intend to do absolutely nothing to change their fate. Horrible!

RIP poor youngsters!

amazing how the rush to judgement is put on the people who had nothing to do with their fate

• Like 1

A tragedy and with people close by. This is unbelievable. I bet the people in those boats go to the Wat and think they are good Buddhists as well. These people, for ignoring the cries for help, should be charged with aiding murder.

This would never have happened in my home country, people would have tried their best to help the boys

Condolences to the families

So, the boats did nothing, and the person filming did nothing. Great to see we are living in such a caring society now. Sad.

Judging by the pixelation the shot was at some distance but the boats were right next to them.

Miserable bastards!

'It has been explained as fundamental in the Buddhist philosophy that when you interfere in the course of events unfolding before your eyes you then assume full responsibility for any outcome.'

Perhaps this is the way it has been explained to you...although even a cursory glance at 'Buddhist philosophy' will reveal this is not so...

'It has been explained as fundamental in the Buddhist philosophy that when you interfere in the course of events unfolding before your eyes you then assume full responsibility for any outcome.'

Perhaps this is the way it has been explained to you...although even a cursory glance at 'Buddhist philosophy' will reveal this is not so...

if that is the way the local people interpret it,

then it IS so

So if your mother or father is choking to death do you not attempt to save them?

So if your mother or father is choking to death do you not attempt to save them?

don't apply our ways with their ways.

western people would have saved the kids

What worries me is that I too am beginning to get that way!

Sad for the kids and a black mark for the river boatmen!

What worries me is that I too am beginning to get that way!

Sad for the kids and a black mark for the river boatmen!

the boat men can not be at fault

if they couldnt swim, they could have been killed too

And that my friends is a lesson, never publicise any movies or photographs of crimes or tragedies, because if you do somebody is sure to criticise u or accuse u of being an accomplice.

Of course all the locals now say they did nothing because they thought it was a prank. They might loose face if they said the truth but after 10 years living here it seems that if you are not the persons family or friend then they are not interested in helping. Unless it is after you are severely injured or dead then they can help themselves to your wallet, ring or anything else they can take quickly.

There are some caring people here, as there is in the rest of the world but they seem to be in a small minority.

Chris

I want to see those two boat people brought to justice. This is ridiculous and so hearbreaking.

This mai bpen rai attitude is what will keep Thailand from building a space ship and only do tuk tuks for the next 1000 years.coffee1.gif

why do people continue to blame the boaters?

all they did was pass by at any fateful moment

why should they be held responsible, they didnt bring the kids to the water, or leave them there,

better, why didnt the person who actually saw them drowning, call out to the boaters or to anyone?

thats who should be charged, is anyone,

at least yell out, to help them, even if you are too far away,

in the US, people go into freezing waters to help people,

this is their fate, no one is responsible

It seems that social media outrage will force forward this issue:

Police dig deeper for info on Chao Phraya drownings
The Nation

30232096-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- As part of investigation into drowning of two youths in Bangkok's Chao Phraya River on Tuesday, the police say they will summon more eyewitnesses, including the person who took the video clip of the event, as well as the drivers of the two ferries that passed by.

A video clip of the young men's calls for help being ignored by the two ferries went viral and drew severe criticism. The deceased were identified as a 13-year-old boy and 20-year-old Sarin Saekua.

Bang Kho Laem superintendent Pol Colonel Sombat Kaenwichit said police was waiting for testimony from the parents and was looking for more witnesses.

Initially police wanted the two ferry drivers' action punished by a month in jail and/or Bt1,000 in fines as per the Criminal Code's Article 374 aimed at people who refuse to help others in danger, he said. However, he added, the police would investigate the case further and ensure justice for all sides.

An informed source said the deceased and friends often swam in the area and had reportedly pretended to drown several times before, hence others might have ignored their call for help this time too, thinking it was pretence.

The boy's father said his son could not swim well, and had survived a drowning accident five years ago. Sarin's mother, meanwhile, said she was angry that the passing by boats did not help. The boy's father agreed, but said he was in too much grief to blame anybody.

He also urged parents to keep an eye on their children and not let them go swimming on their own.

This really got me as surprise to see kids need help on the water and someone is filming and other on the boat doing nothing..I thought Thailand have more respect about life.

I think in any other country in the world if somebody saw children in need of help they would instantly offer assistance, but then again this is Thailand money comes first not children or other people only lovely money money greed nothing else is important in Thailand

But it (assistance) does happen in Thailand unfortunately not in the OPs case. Some months ago I was at a beach standing ankle deep in the water talking with a Thai fella who was on the sand just a couple feet away. He suddenly remarked for me to turn around saying 2 kids had just fallen off their inner tube. I turned and saw a small hand just out the water. I took but a few paces and picked up a 7 or 8 year old lad, tucked him under my arm and carried to dry land. Another person, Thai, did the same with the boys sister. Both kids were shaken but fine. Their parents were found and everything ended happily. Over Songkran I saw the two kids at the same beach in very shallow water with parent watching them. They waved/waied and said hello.

Please do not tarnish the whole country with the mistake of some people. There is good, bad and indifferent all around us.

I think in any other country in the world if somebody saw children in need of help they would instantly offer assistance, but then again this is Thailand money comes first not children or other people only lovely money money greed nothing else is important in Thailand

But it (assistance) does happen in Thailand unfortunately not in the OPs case. Some months ago I was at a beach standing ankle deep in the water talking with a Thai fella who was on the sand just a couple feet away. He suddenly remarked for me to turn around saying 2 kids had just fallen off their inner tube. I turned and saw a small hand just out the water. I took but a few paces and picked up a 7 or 8 year old lad, tucked him under my arm and carried to dry land. Another person, Thai, did the same with the boys sister. Both kids were shaken but fine. Their parents were found and everything ended happily. Over Songkran I saw the two kids at the same beach in very shallow water with parent watching them. They waved/waied and said hello.

Please do not tarnish the whole country with the mistake of some people. There is good, bad and indifferent all around us.

thailand needs no help tarnishing itself

And that is just the sort of generalized statement that means absolutely nothing. If you don't have something useful to say, don't say it.

• Like 1

And that is just the sort of generalized statement that means absolutely nothing. If you don't have something useful to say, don't say it.

Thailands reputation is what exactly?

every single person I tell I went to Thailand has the same reaction

the men say one thing, the women all look down and wish i didnt tell them

tarnish is being kind

Thailands reputation is what exactly?

every single person I tell I went to Thailand has the same reaction

the men say one thing, the women all look down and wish i didnt tell them

tarnish is being kind

Well all I can say is that you must be mixing with a very rough crowd. Try expanding your horizons, there are plenty of nice Thais out there if you go look for them.

Would it be fair to generalize and say all your fellow countrymen are of the same temperament and have the same ideals as you? I think and hope not.

• Like 1