How much better is Thailand now ?

Craig351

I was transferred from Spain (I'm not Spanish) with the same company to Thailand I came in 1999

Believe it or not I did not know anything about Thailand, well I knew about Thailand but not the exciting side lets just say or the downside. Other things like corruption, how business is done and every other business zig zag as per say I knew about, as we all know all this type of stuff goes on in most countries and I had already worked in about 4 other countries.

I remember thinking what chaos here and the smells, traffic and crazy taxi drivers who told me telephone numbers just go 5 mins down the road.

I had a company driver, but I love motorbikes and after 2 weeks I bought a Honda CBR 900 fireblade I remember getting pulled over for no reason at about every set of lights ask for 500 baht sometimes 1,000 which back then was a lot. I even remember they held my bike and told me if I don't pay they will take the bike, which took about 20 min before I understood what they were saying. I asked why you ask me for money for no reason I was told "this is Thailand"

I took a taxi once I made him use the meter he drove me around the world I knew Bangkok by then "rode my bike" he told me he was an ex Thai boxer and when I argued with him over where he's taking me, he told me he will kick my ass if I don't shut up. Never judge a book by its cover I'm just normal looking person, but I can handle myself at the time I was 31 I think, I told him ok get out stop the taxi we had a good punch on I beat him by luck after about 5 min. Half the Thai's told me go, go run before the police come the other half were on their phones calling the police,I just walked off. When I really knew about Thailand and what I did. I would have never got into a fight, never ....as they say "don't try this at home" this was done under a controlled environment !! hmmmm

I don't know how many shops I went to buy things and just told me crazy prices, rice and pork small little shop 400, bought smokes I smoked back then anything from 15 to 200 for the same smokes, shirt 2,000 on and on. Until one day I cracked I walked into a small shop, just rode my bike on a Saturday around Bkk I was hot needed a drink. I just walked in took a can of coke from the fridge opened it, was drinking it walked up to the counter I gave him 10 baht at that time they were 7 baht went to walkout he said to me where you go, you have to pay 200 baht I just lost it yelled at him in English threw the can of coke at him it went everywhere I just didn't care got on my bike rode off.

I bought a Sony PlayStation I think I paid 12,000 for it new at MBK I took it home it didn't work took it back told me "no give money back" "This is Thailand" I told some Thai staff at my work they said oh no cant do that two of them went with me at lunch time to tell him to fix it or replace it if not my money back. He even told them F off and said to them what are you doing are you Thai or traitor, he's a farang he not the same as Thai. The lady her brother was a police officer so she called him we went back the next day and as you know in 1 min he gave me my money back. We went for a coffee afterwards he said to me with disbelief in his voice "why you care about 12,000 baht why you care about money you are rich not matter to you?" So I told him everyday everywhere I'm getting ripped off and ask for money 100 here 200 there 12,000 there. I said to him it all adds up to a lot of money. He looked at me thought about it and said yes your right I understand, I could see he really got it, he was a senior cop.

The last thing, I travelled a lot with my company as we had offices all over Asia and the world. I then started to get these questionnaires when I was flying out of Thailand, asking me about Thailand my experience with everything big list, shops , people , travel places, police and so forth. I ask my friend about it and he said to me that the travel industry in Thailand was going down and down in the last 5 years and the Thai government wanted to know why.

One day everything was normal, the next day I could see a change police stopped pulling me over all the time, people quoted me the normal price. If I had a problem I got some sort of help or support. I saw and felt a real difference that things have changed, nothing was said as far as I know but after that I noticed a big change.

I want to say there were so many great things then, people were as they are now so nice friend, helpful do anything for you, it was still a great place to live I loved living there. The girls wow couldn't ask for better I recall not knowing where to look all the girls they were all skinny, cute, sweet, sexy, innocent, hot little girls I was in heaven. You had to be on your toes 24 /7 about everything or you were going to get screwed.

I travel to Thailand a lot and sometimes stay there for months at a time I'm lucky I work for myself. I have noticed a real difference now. You can get your money back for things, prices for us are the same as everyone, I now very rarely get stoped by the police for no reason and ask for money ( I still have a car there) I drive all over Thailand. I don't worry if I'm being ripped off or are they trying to scam me. I think Thailand has improved beyond my belief really when I think about it. So many good things with food choice (I do love Thai food), transport, shopping, our rights, and better justice. I really see the difference from when I was there before. Only downside the girls aren't the same now as they were before, now they are over weight, not polite as they were, tattoos, drinking, smoking, bad language (good girls). I see a lot of girls now say 15 to 25 years old fat over weight. I'm sure, Its got a lot to do with western influence and diet change I could be wrong!

Am I dreaming are things like they were nothing has changed?

I have I become accustom to everything I can't see it any more?

I can speak Thai very well, now I understand things better?

I've become an old fart and senile?

Or is the some merit to what I have said?

What do you think?

To answer the question you posed ,"how much better is thailand now"

if your a single guy out on the pull ,its much worse.

if your married with kids and living a normal life ,its far better.

all of us who have been both know why.whistling.gif

I have been both. Can you tell me....why ? Thanks.

To have a good life in Thailand does not require to be married and have children,

To stay single is >alright< to be married is >alright< to have children maybe >alright < .

Any of the above "three" outlines provides what an individual wants in terms of his personal life style.

Edited by personchester

I've only lived here a few years so I can't say for sure, but friends who've lived here 10+ years said it's a lot better for picking up girls now as years ago most normal Thai girls wouldn't even look at a westerner but now it's becoming more acceptable.

I would guess that it is simply your perspective that has changed. You mentioned that you are working for yourself now, whereas before you were sent out to Thailand to work by a company. That alone, and I'm sure many other things for you have changed, will not only cause you to see things differently but will cause others to have a different and I guess better impression of you and by that treat you differently.

The cops were probably just drooling over your motorcycle, so if you don't have that bike any more, they aren't going to bother you. I don't drive in Thailand and in 17 years I have never even been so much as glanced at by Thai coppers. I used to pass the cops at an intersection everyday on my way to work for years as well. Go public transpo and I think you can cut 30-40 percent of the grief that you might otherwise go through here. Tho' I suppose for many that grief is probably worth it just to be able to have a set of wheels.

I would guess that it is simply your perspective that has changed. You mentioned that you are working for yourself now, whereas before you were sent out to Thailand to work by a company. That alone, and I'm sure many other things for you have changed, will not only cause you to see things differently but will cause others to have a different and I guess better impression of you and by that treat you differently.

The cops were probably just drooling over your motorcycle, so if you don't have that bike any more, they aren't going to bother you. I don't drive in Thailand and in 17 years I have never even been so much as glanced at by Thai coppers. I used to pass the cops at an intersection everyday on my way to work for years as well. Go public transpo and I think you can cut 30-40 percent of the grief that you might otherwise go through here. Tho' I suppose for many that grief is probably worth it just to be able to have a set of wheels.

if you live anywhere in the city, having a car is an unnecessary expense, and a major hazard

taxis so cheap its just not worth driving in bkk

Edited by Scarpolo

3rd line from the end says it all.

Next !

First three words in the second line says it all, "Believe it or not" I choose not. whistling.gif

I remember those times, it was nothing like the OP mentions.

He must have been the unluckiest guy around if thats what he remembers, maybe his mind is playing tricks.

• Like 2

I was transferred from Spain (I'm not Spanish) with the same company to Thailand I came in 1999

Believe it or not I did not know anything about Thailand, well I knew about Thailand but not the exciting side lets just say or the downside. Other things like corruption, how business is done and every other business zig zag as per say I knew about, as we all know all this type of stuff goes on in most countries and I had already worked in about 4 other countries.

I remember thinking what chaos here and the smells, traffic and crazy taxi drivers who told me telephone numbers just go 5 mins down the road.

I had a company driver, but I love motorbikes and after 2 weeks I bought a Honda CBR 900 fireblade I remember getting pulled over for no reason at about every set of lights ask for 500 baht sometimes 1,000 which back then was a lot. I even remember they held my bike and told me if I don't pay they will take the bike, which took about 20 min before I understood what they were saying. I asked why you ask me for money for no reason I was told "this is Thailand"

I took a taxi once I made him use the meter he drove me around the world I knew Bangkok by then "rode my bike" he told me he was an ex Thai boxer and when I argued with him over where he's taking me, he told me he will kick my ass if I don't shut up. Never judge a book by its cover I'm just normal looking person, but I can handle myself at the time I was 31 I think, I told him ok get out stop the taxi we had a good punch on I beat him by luck after about 5 min. Half the Thai's told me go, go run before the police come the other half were on their phones calling the police,I just walked off. When I really knew about Thailand and what I did. I would have never got into a fight, never ....as they say "don't try this at home" this was done under a controlled environment !! hmmmm

I don't know how many shops I went to buy things and just told me crazy prices, rice and pork small little shop 400, bought smokes I smoked back then anything from 15 to 200 for the same smokes, shirt 2,000 on and on. Until one day I cracked I walked into a small shop, just rode my bike on a Saturday around Bkk I was hot needed a drink. I just walked in took a can of coke from the fridge opened it, was drinking it walked up to the counter I gave him 10 baht at that time they were 7 baht went to walkout he said to me where you go, you have to pay 200 baht I just lost it yelled at him in English threw the can of coke at him it went everywhere I just didn't care got on my bike rode off.

I bought a Sony PlayStation I think I paid 12,000 for it new at MBK I took it home it didn't work took it back told me "no give money back" "This is Thailand" I told some Thai staff at my work they said oh no cant do that two of them went with me at lunch time to tell him to fix it or replace it if not my money back. He even told them F off and said to them what are you doing are you Thai or traitor, he's a farang he not the same as Thai. The lady her brother was a police officer so she called him we went back the next day and as you know in 1 min he gave me my money back. We went for a coffee afterwards he said to me with disbelief in his voice "why you care about 12,000 baht why you care about money you are rich not matter to you?" So I told him everyday everywhere I'm getting ripped off and ask for money 100 here 200 there 12,000 there. I said to him it all adds up to a lot of money. He looked at me thought about it and said yes your right I understand, I could see he really got it, he was a senior cop.

The last thing, I travelled a lot with my company as we had offices all over Asia and the world. I then started to get these questionnaires when I was flying out of Thailand, asking me about Thailand my experience with everything big list, shops , people , travel places, police and so forth. I ask my friend about it and he said to me that the travel industry in Thailand was going down and down in the last 5 years and the Thai government wanted to know why.

One day everything was normal, the next day I could see a change police stopped pulling me over all the time, people quoted me the normal price. If I had a problem I got some sort of help or support. I saw and felt a real difference that things have changed, nothing was said as far as I know but after that I noticed a big change.

I want to say there were so many great things then, people were as they are now so nice friend, helpful do anything for you, it was still a great place to live I loved living there. The girls wow couldn't ask for better I recall not knowing where to look all the girls they were all skinny, cute, sweet, sexy, innocent, hot little girls I was in heaven. You had to be on your toes 24 /7 about everything or you were going to get screwed.

I travel to Thailand a lot and sometimes stay there for months at a time I'm lucky I work for myself. I have noticed a real difference now. You can get your money back for things, prices for us are the same as everyone, I now very rarely get stoped by the police for no reason and ask for money ( I still have a car there) I drive all over Thailand. I don't worry if I'm being ripped off or are they trying to scam me. I think Thailand has improved beyond my belief really when I think about it. So many good things with food choice (I do love Thai food), transport, shopping, our rights, and better justice. I really see the difference from when I was there before. Only downside the girls aren't the same now as they were before, now they are over weight, not polite as they were, tattoos, drinking, smoking, bad language (good girls). I see a lot of girls now say 15 to 25 years old fat over weight. I'm sure, Its got a lot to do with western influence and diet change I could be wrong!

Am I dreaming are things like they were nothing has changed?

I have I become accustom to everything I can't see it any more?

I can speak Thai very well, now I understand things better?

I've become an old fart and senile?

Or is the some merit to what I have said?

What do you think?

Troll,been here before '99 taxi had meters.BS,Bs, all the way