Bangkok braces for this year's hottest day on Sunday

webfact

Bangkok braces for this year's hottest day on Sunday

156577-imagepng-230044-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- People living in Bangkok can experience this year’s hottest day on upcoming Sunday April 27 when the sun will be closest to the capital and directly above it.

According to the Meteorological Department, April will be this year’s hottest month, with maximum temperatures of about 42-43 Celsius. The average temperature in Bangkok so far this month is 35C, it added.

Meanwhile the National Astronomical Research Institute of Thailand (NARIT) said at 12.16pm on Sunday, the sun will be exactly above the capital.

It said in theory when the sun is exactly above the head, it will be the hottest day as Bangkok will be fully exposed by the heat of the sun.

But the NARIT deputy director Saran Poshyachinda was hopeful that nature could come to the aid of Bangkok people and ease the heat of the sun.

He said rain, clouds and other factors could block some of the heat on that day.

Meanwhile the position between the sun and other provinces will vary depending on their unique positions, he said.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/bangkok-braces-years-hottest-day-sunday/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-24

... and could I just mention 'as Bangkok will be fully exposed by the heat of the sun' should be 'as Bangkok will be fully exposed to the heat of the sun.'

I thank you.

Mind you, they could be more literal than I was thinking - the loveliness of the klongs and litter (amongst other things) could well be exposed by the sun ...

This is close to the dumbest thing I have ever read. Hottest day of the year?

If only I knew, whats so dumb here?

The coming days are usually the hottest of the year.

Yesterday saw a new all time peak in electrical power consumption.

• Like 1

Here we go again. Every year the local meteorological geniuses come out with the prescient prediction of the hottest day being the day when the sun is directly overhead. They never fail to come out with this nonsense, which is patently false. A lot of factors -- hey, the weather, you know? -- determine the heat of any particular day, and the sun being overhead is just one of them.

Got it? No, I thought not. Next year and every year ad infinitum they'll come out with the same dim-witted guff.

Here we go again. Every year the local meteorological geniuses come out with the prescient prediction of the hottest day being the day when the sun is directly overhead. They never fail to come out with this nonsense, which is patently false. A lot of factors -- hey, the weather, you know? -- determine the heat of any particular day, and the sun being overhead is just one of them.

Got it? No, I thought not. Next year and every year ad infinitum they'll come out with the same dim-witted guff.

Interesting also that Earth is closest to the sun at perihelion, which occurs early January each year, but that according to this story Bangkok is closest to the sun in April. Thailand really is in a world of its own...

• Like 1

Interesting also that Earth is closest to the sun at perihelion, which occurs early January each year, but that according to this story Bangkok is closest to the sun in April. Thailand really is in a world of its own...

More to the point you are in a world of your own. True perihelion is in early January, when the earth as a whole is closest to the sun ( vs. aphelion ). But by your reasoning night time in early January would be very hot, which of course is not true. The angle at which the sun strikes the earth has the most to do with its strength. When the sun is directly overhead, the light from the sun passes through the atmosphere at its smallest thickness, hence the sun is strongest. When the sun is directly overhead of Bangkok, Bangkok IS closest to the sun ( relative to other places on earth )