Stop paying AC costs. New Way.

gypsyrodeo

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

make fun all you want..i saw my friends working yesterday..he cools his entire bedroom..after an hour i almost needed a coat

If he's paying for the electricity to freeze the water and he's saving money overall, then he either has a far more efficient freezer than air conditioner (he should buy a new air conditioner) or he's found a practical way to violate the laws of thermodynamics. I suspect he, or whoever is paying the electricity bill, is losing money.

his refrigerator has other food in the freezer part..adding 6 bottles of water doesn't add the types of cost you are referring to…that i know of…what am i missing here?..its not like he bought a freezer to put 6 bottles of water in..he just uses the fridge freezer

his refrigerator has other food in the freezer part..adding 6 bottles of water doesn't add the types of cost you are referring to…that i know of…what am i missing here?.

You are missing basic laws of thermodynamics and conservation of energy.

If he puts six bottles of liquid water where very cold air used to be, it takes energy to replace the very cold air with ice,

• Like 1

his refrigerator has other food in the freezer part..adding 6 bottles of water doesn't add the types of cost you are referring to…that i know of…what am i missing here?.

If he puts six bottles of liquid water where very cold air used to be, it takes energy to replace the very cold air with ice,

you are missing the basic laws of finance and that is what this post is about…when he used to use his ac all day to cool his room off his electric bill was 3 times higher than it is now that he is using the styrofoam ac AND his room is just as cold as it used to be…i just got of the phone w/ him..hes making me one right now

First I thought I wanted to make one myself, but then after reading the comments... no thanks! Though nice idea. I think I stick with my fans... we don't have an airconditionar in our house. We built our house last year and moved in around november. So far it is warm, but not hot and the fan keeps us cool enough.

To freeze big bottles I would need a big freezer... don't have one and the costs of buying one would extend the savings I would have - if any - on this gadget.

So thanks for the video, but no thanks..

• Like 1

you are missing the basic laws of finance and that is what this post is about…when he used to use his ac all day to cool his room off his electric bill was 3 times higher than it is now that he is using the styrofoam ac AND his room is just as cold as it used to be…i just got of the phone w/ him..hes making me one right now

If his refrigerator is in the house or apartment he is trying to cool then it is pumping more energy (heat) into the room than it is taking out of the water it is freezing; that's the second law of thermodynamics. He may be creating a temperature difference in different areas of his living space, but the overall energy/heat/temperature in the total area is going up. Plus he's paying for the electricity to generate this heat. If your friend thinks he's saving money there's some faulty bookkeeping going on somewhere.

Edited by heybruce

"the second law of thermodynamics"…might make you feel smart to use this type of terminology but it doesn't apply to the styrofoam ac..my eyes and body temperature did not lie..and i just double checked to be sure..his electric bill is WAY down

"the second law of thermodynamics"…might make you feel smart to use this type of terminology but it doesn't apply to the styrofoam ac..my eyes and body temperature did not lie..and i just double checked to be sure..his electric bill is WAY down

I've explained it as simply as I can. I won't speculate on possible reasons for a one month change in the electricity bill or explain the difference between a single datum and a statistically significant amount of data collected during controlled experiments. Go ahead and do as you will, but be warned that a lot of smart people have tried to violate the laws of thermodynamics and none have succeeded.

• Like 1

If his refrigerator is in the house or apartment he is trying to cool then it is pumping more energy (heat) into the room than it is taking out of the water it is freezing; that's the second law of thermodynamics. He may be creating a temperature difference in different areas of his living space, but the overall energy/heat/temperature in the total area is going up. Plus he's paying for the electricity to generate this heat. If your friend thinks he's saving money there's some faulty bookkeeping going on somewhere.

it doesn't make sense to discuss the brushstroke and the colours of an old master's painting with blind people. dozens of "cooling" threads in Thaivisa are evidence for my claim.

post-35218-0-11475800-1398415967.jpg

@bobo42…you're hilarious! The way you throw around numbers ...

If I didn't see it work I would probably fall for your engineer poseur missive. Very funny stuff smile.png

For all of you who would like to take this subject seriously, please note that all my friend does is freeze 6 one liter bottles of water. He takes 2 out at a time and puts them in the styrofoam container. It takes them a couple of hours to melt; when they do, he takes them out, puts them back in the freezer and takes 2 more out, and put them in the styrofoam container and rotates on that schedule.

Remember to place the 2 bottles about 5 inches away from the PVC tube so the air hits on the way out. You'll be shocked on how cold it is….

I think that's just absolutely brilliant OP...thanking you kindly for your post. I personally don't use air-cons but love pottering around with ideas....and experimenting. I cannot wait to get started on this one and it serves a really good purpose too that I can pass on to people who haven't seen the idea before. Until I seen that the pipe was only 2.5" in diameter I thought it was about 4" 5" or 6"...now it's even better.

Thanks a lot again................Good Luck.

Edited by dotpoom
  • Like 1

If I didn't see it work I would probably fall for your engineer poseur missive. Very funny stuff smile.png

For all of you who would like to take this subject seriously, please note that all my friend does is freeze 6 one liter bottles of water. He takes 2 out at a time and puts them in the styrofoam container. It takes them a couple of hours to melt; when they do, he takes them out, puts them back in the freezer and takes 2 more out, and put them in the styrofoam container and rotates on that schedule.

Remember to place the 2 bottles about 5 inches away from the PVC tube so the air hits on the way out. You'll be shocked on how cold it is….

I think that's just absolutely brilliant OP...thanking you kindly for your post. I personally don't use air-cons but love pottering around with ideas....and experimenting. I cannot wait to get started on this one and it serves a really good purpose too that I can pass on to people who haven't seen the idea before. Until I seen that the pipe was only 2.5" in diameter I thought it was about 4" 5" or 6"...now it's even better.

friend just delivered mine..works like a charm

his refrigerator has other food in the freezer part..adding 6 bottles of water doesn't add the types of cost you are referring to…that i know of…what am i missing here?..its not like he bought a freezer to put 6 bottles of water in..he just uses the fridge freezer

When the water bottles are put in the freezer what he is doing is adding a heat load. Now the compressor in the freeze must turn on to remove the heat from the water and the warmer air that entered the freezer. All the heat that was removed from the water is now back in the room along with additional heat generated by the compressor. Now the room is warmer than when you started, not a very efficient system.

• Like 1

friend just delivered mine..works like a charm

You haven't received your electricity bill yet. What you are doing is similar to post #26, only your method is less efficient.

I am not an "engineer poseur", I am an engineer with qualifications in physics and thermodynamics (and electrical and electronic engineering).

In which particular universe are you situated such that the basic laws of physics (thermodynamics) do not apply?

If your friend moderated his aircon use to the same periods and space that his cooler is used he would see even greater savings.

Temperature gradient achieved? Timings? Volume cooled? Actual total energy use?

If these devices are really more efficient overall than 'real' aircons, why are we not all using them?

• Like 1

I am not an "engineer poseur", I am an engineer with qualifications in physics and thermodynamics (and electrical and electronic engineering).

In which particular universe are you situated such that the basic laws of physics (thermodynamics) do not apply?

If your friend moderated his aircon use to the same periods and space that his cooler is used he would see even greater savings.

If these devices are really more efficient overall than 'real' aircons, why are we not all using them?

i just don't think you understand the science of styrofoam..its complicated..engineering is child's play by comparison

• Like 2

i just don't think you understand the science of styrofoam..its complicated..engineering is child's play by comparison

Please enlighten us heathens. What is it about expanded polystyrene that causes it to operate outside the established rules. Some links to scientific papers would be most helpful.

Don't forget to include that the freezer that is freezing the bottles is a state-change heat pump, exactly the same (but rather less powerful) as a regular aircon. Unless, that is, you have a Peltier freezer that again bucks the trend of being rather less efficient than a state-change unit.

I reiterate, "If these devices are really more efficient overall than 'real' aircons, why are we not all using them?"

• Like 1

why isn't everybody using them?…because they haven't seen the video i posted yet..AC companies want to keep this styrofoam technology secret…why doesn't everybody do something as the know all end all retort is beneath your education level claims..other than basic body functions there isn't anything every human does.

But it's not secret is it? You've let the cat out of the bag.

Since it's no longer a dark technology there can be no harm in revealing exactly how it works and how adding an extra step to the heat transfer process can improve its efficiency.

By the way, my scientific and engineering qualifications are available for anyone to verify should they so desire.

• Like 1