extension Non Imm O limited by passport duration?

My passport expires on 31 May 2015

The extension of my Non Imm O visa expires on 28 May 2014

Can I apply for another extension of one year i.e. until 28 May 2015 (three days before my passport expires) ?

As said you should get a new passport before it gets below six month validity for any emergency travel that might be required as many countries will not allow entry with less. And believe now policy of immigration is only to issue extension of stay until expiration date of passport it is entered into.

• Like 1

If passport expires 31 st May 2015 then a full years extension from 28 th May 2014 should be granted.

But as said passport should be renewed at least 6 months before expiry. The extension stamps can then be transferred by immigration to the new passport.

You should get your full one year extension since the your passport will expire after that date.

Then when you get the passport you will need to go to immigration and have your stamps transferred..

Immigration will give you an extension with less than one year remaining on a passport but it will only be to the date of expiration. Immigration will transfer the stamps when a new passport is obtained. Then it will require applying for a new extension prior to the date the shortened extension expires.

Just as a side note to this topic, after you have your new passport and have had your stamps moved over to it, the final step is to take your old and new passports with you to your bank(s) to have them update your records.

I had been putting off this errand, let it slip my mind, then got stiffed yesterday when I tried to make a cash withdrawal at my local branch of Bangkok Bank.

You should get your full one year extension since the your passport will expire after that date.

Then when you get the passport you will need to go to immigration and have your stamps transferred..

Immigration will give you an extension with less than one year remaining on a passport but it will only be to the date of expiration. Immigration will transfer the stamps when a new passport is obtained. Then it will require applying for a new extension prior to the date the shortened extension expires.

+1

Perhaps this thread should be updated/closed if indeed such one year extensions on expiring passports are still being made - as it is first item in Google search.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663684-new-rules-for-extensions-of-stay-with-expiring-passport/?p=6759281#entry6759281

New rules for extensions of stay with expiring passport
Started by Mario2008, 2013-08-27 11:47

Perhaps this thread should be updated/closed if indeed such one year extensions on expiring passports are still being made - as it is first item in Google search.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/663684-new-rules-for-extensions-of-stay-with-expiring-passport/?p=6759281#entry6759281

New rules for extensions of stay with expiring passport
Started by Mario2008, 2013-08-27 11:47

It is the same as I wrote in my post,

There was some confusion about immigrations wording but was clarified during in the the discussion.

Actually it did not appear clarified at post 298 after 12 pages of reading so is reason I suggested a final post/closure might be in order. As it is active now perhaps this is the time?

Posted 2013-11-11 17:13:12

It seems that no Thai government website has published this new rule yet but judging from reports by members it is being implemented by immigration offices. PWC Thailand refers to this rule as Sor.Tor.Mor very urgent letter No. 0029/171/Vor 4499, dated 13 August 2013, from the Royal Thai Police Immigration Service: http://www.pwc.com/t...ax-insight7.pdf

My passport expires in September, the visa expired in April. I got in March my under consideration stamp for new NON O extension. Meanwhile I got my new passport. When I got back to immigration, the old visas were transferred, but the new extension expires in October 2014, not April 2015.

They said as I started that process with the old passport, the visa is related to the old one and therefore only valid till October and I have to start all over again and come back there in August.

That is how it is done now. If you don't have a year left on your passport when you appy your extension will only be valid up to the date your passport expires and you have to apply for the extension again when the shortened extension ends.

That is how it is done now. If you don't have a year left on your passport when you appy your extension will only be valid up to the date your passport expires and you have to apply for the extension again when the shortened extension ends.

I have a Non-Imm 'O' visa with permission to stay until 19th June.

That permission is in my 'old' passport which should now have been cancelled by HMPO in the UK.

I applied, via VFS in BKK, on 9th April and the credit card payment was taken 16th April.

My intention was to get my new passport and then apply for a retirement extension (my first) - all before I need to travel again on 7th July.

HMPO is in a bugger's muddle and goodness knows when I will see my new passport - hopefully before 19th June.

A couple of questions:-

What is the liklihood of getting an extension, in the old passport, from either an immigration office - or attempting a visa run at Chong Chom ?

My old passport has over 6 years unexpired tern. What chance of arranging the retirement extension with the old passport (a page and a half left) before 19th June ?

• Like 1

As far as immigration would be concerned your passport is still valid. It has only been cancelled in the UK passport records. There is no international data base for canceled passports. There is only one for lost or stolen passports.

A page and a half is enough to get the extension. For an extension based upon retirement they could do it on the half page.

Regardless of what immigration may or may not know the passport is invalid from posters information and he knows it - and any entry put into it would also be invalid. An extension requires a valid passport AFAIK.

Regardless of what immigration may or may not know the passport is invalid from posters information and he knows it - and any entry put into it would also be invalid. An extension requires a valid passport AFAIK.

No it doesnt.

I have traveled with a visa in an old passport and simply shown this together with the new passport (until getting the details transferred into the new one).

That is where you have the visa and the passport becomes cancelled - this is somewhat different, of course, but Unonjoe has confirmed what I thought might be possible.

sorry lopburi, I should have added, AFAIK the passport is invalid for travel but can be used for ID etc - that at least puts it in a grey area. It would suit me to get my extension now and transfer the details into the new passport in due course.

Edited by Jip99

There is no certainty that it would be invalid. Do they cancel them when they get the application or when they issue the new passport?

There is no certainty that it would be invalid. Do they cancel them when they get the application or when they issue the new passport?

They cancel when they receive the application - bit I am sure that immigration would not be aware of that.

I can explain that I want to get the extension now because UK HMPO are taking up to 8 weeks to process renewal applications ie taking it past my permission to stay.

They cancel when they receive the application - bit I am sure that immigration would not be aware of that.

I can explain that I want to get the extension now because UK HMPO are taking up to 8 weeks to process renewal applications ie taking it past my permission to stay.

The problem is what choices do you have. Would the UK embassy issue an ETD because you were waiting for the passport and was not planning on traveling. Plus of course the additional cost.

Waiting 8 weeks or more to get a passport is absurd.

The problem is what choices do you have. Would the UK embassy issue an ETD because you were waiting for the passport and was not planning on traveling. Plus of course the additional cost.

Waiting 8 weeks or more to get a passport is absurd.

I agree - feedback has already been passed back to HMPO. To require 2 personal visits to BKK AND take 8 weeks (some have waited longer under the previous post to Liverpool system) is archaic to say the least.

I am inclined to call in at Kap Choeng immigration office and give it a go.

I did think that, at worse, they may give me a 30 day extension - but if they can stamp that in my old passport they can do a retirement extension!

Obviously, I would be interested to hear fromanyone who has actually done this - otherwise I could be a test case smile.png

It is not possible to get a 30 day extension for a non immigrant visa entry unless it is for special reasons.

If married to a Thai you can get a 60 day extension.

Not married.

I think I could probably get 30 days from a border run to Chong Chom. I seriously doubt that their systems would pick up the cancellation.

I just have enough space for the visa sticker and entry stamps!

This passport renewal nonsense has huge potential problems for Brits. I can see some will take the risk of posting their passport to relatives in the UK!

• 3 weeks later...

Just to close the circle on my experience (and hopefully provide info for others).

This was my situation:-

I have a Non-Imm 'O' visa with permission to stay until 19th June.

That permission is in my 'old' passport which should now have been cancelled by HMPO in the UK.

I applied, via VFS in BKK, on 9th April and the credit card payment was taken 16th April.

My intention was to get my new passport and then apply for a retirement extension (my first) - all before I need to travel again on 7th July.

HMPO is in a bugger's muddle and goodness knows when I will see my new passport - hopefully before 19th June.

Last week I decided to apply for a retirement extension using my old "cancelled" passport.

No problems at all, did the multiple re-entry permit at the same time.

It is not possible to get a 30 day extension for a non immigrant visa entry unless it is for special reasons.

If married to a Thai you can get a 60 day extension.

Not married.

I think I could probably get 30 days from a border run to Chong Chom. I seriously doubt that their systems would pick up the cancellation.

I just have enough space for the visa sticker and entry stamps!

This passport renewal nonsense has huge potential problems for Brits. I can see some will take the risk of posting their passport to relatives in the UK!

Absolutely right on the first part but the second part is not really an option.

There are 3 ways to renew your passport in the UK. By post, via the post office and personally at HMPO. The second and third methods are non starters for a relative, so the only way would be by post.

The standard postal application has a time frame of 3 to 4 weeks which they say can be extended in busy periods. With the transit time to Thailand you could well be back to the 8 week scenario.

The only real solution is that online applications become available for Thailand.

• 3 months later...

I surely can apply for a new extension at my immigration?

I'm just wondering why there's stamped in my passport, under the granted shortened extension:

Holder must leave the kingdom within the date specified herein, offenders will be prosecuted.