The Lao Experience Part Ii

Hi again,

Had a wonderful night out on the piss in Vientiane last night. The bars here close at midnight latest, so at half time of the England vs Ireland rugby match, I got kicked out! Oh well, at least that meant that I didn't have to watch them lose!

I didn't know that the Thai Embassy here has moved from its old location. Will be getting a tuk-tuk there tomorrow morning, bright and early. Already have the forms filled in so hopefully I'll be in and out of there asap (I hate Thai embassies).

Well, wish me luck folks. It's now almost eleven thirty in the morning, so it is high time for some more Beerlao.

By the way, Lao now has twenty thousand kip notes, which is helpful. The last time that I came here a couple of years ago I needed a wheelbarrow to carry my money around in after changing my baht. But now the cash wads are a lot smaller (just thought I'd let you know that!).

Cheers,

Rob

thanks Rob.... i guess the wheelbarrow business is going bankrupt in Laos? :o

speaking of such... i have a question.

Are there any nations next to, or near Thailand that people have found easy for a farang to live in. Or are there any that one would consider moving to instead of Thailand?

Just curious

Hi Mr. Koh Falang,

Well, I have lived (but not worked) in Laos. I have lived in Malaysia and also Indonesia. As far as I know, all of these are easy (well, a lot easier than Thailand) to live and work in.

It depends what job you want but English teaching is always easy to find.

Yes, unfortunately people are starting to ask these questions that you are asking now. If it wasn't for my wife and kid I would have buggered off somewhere else a long time ago.

Cheers,

Rob

QUOTE:

I didn't know that the Thai Embassy here has moved from its old location. Will be getting a tuk-tuk there tomorrow morning, bright and early. Already have the forms filled in so hopefully I'll be in and out of there asap (I hate Thai embassies).

:o

Be prepared ror a traumatic experience tomorrow morning before your first Beerlao! The new premises look "nicer" than the old, but applicants have to queue outside the gate in the blazing sun -or pouring rain, as may be, forms can be purchased from the touts swirming around or by pushing to the guard booth and asking politely.

Unfortunately, the staff are still the same stern, starchy old girls who could easily feature in a horror-comedy about visa applications, -good luck!!!