Khon Kaen plans power plant to munch trash mountains

webfact

Khon Kaen plans power plant to munch trash mountains
Jitima Janphrom
The Nation
Khon Kaen

30232184-01_big.jpg

KHON KAEN: -- IN A BID to prevent a repeat of the damage wrought by the Praek Sa garbage-dump fire in Samut Prakan last month, Khon Kaen City Hall has placed two fire engines on a round-the-clock watch at the city's main dump and banned smoking near its 800,000 tonnes of garbage.

The municipality also has plans for long-term disposal measures, including a garbage-fed electricity-generating plant to be built in May, says Mayor Theerasak Theethaphan.

Pointing out that his Northeast province was among the country's top 10 for total accumulated garbage, Theerasak said the city's 98-rai dump in Ban Kham Bon, Muang district, now contained 800,000 tonnes of rubbish.

The garbage mountain needed to be tackled speedily to prevent impacts on farmland and water sources or even a fire like at Praek Sa, he said.

Theerasak said the first long-term solution was a Bt93-million Energy Ministry-funded project to turn six tonnes of plastic waste into 4,500 litres of fuel for the municipality.

Contractor sought

The project was currently seeking a new contractor after the previous contract expired last year, he added.

The second long-term solution, a power station to turn garbage into electricity, is waiting to be granted permission to begin construction next month and should be completed by early next year.

The power plant is designed to dispose of 450 tonnes of garbage per day - 250 tonnes of which would be new garbage.

Operating at this rate, the plant should be able to get rid the backlog of garbage within seven years, said Theerasak. The dumpsite would then be turned into a green recreational space for the local community, he added.

Authorities are also building a Bt73-million wastewater-treatment system featuring a 20-rai pond with 129,000 cubic-metre capacity. This system should be operating by November or earlier.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-04-25

Why cannot K Khen have sorted the rubbish as I did and sell it to dealers, employing a workforce who are there in a morning collecting then PM sorting.

Local admin -BRAIN DEAD.

I live in Muang Khon Kaen and the rubbish collection team has one, sometimes two guys, sorting the recyclables from the waste as the truck goes round.

I actually save my plastic, paper and glass (as do most of my neighbours), and give it to the people who clean my soi every day. It supplements their meagre income when they sell it to the dealers.

I get two rubbish collections every week.

The local admin seems very forward thinking with their intention to use trash to generate power.

• Like 1

Why cannot K Khen have sorted the rubbish as I did and sell it to dealers, employing a workforce who are there in a morning collecting then PM sorting.

Local admin -BRAIN DEAD.

I live in Muang Khon Kaen and the rubbish collection team has one, sometimes two guys, sorting the recyclables from the waste as the truck goes round.

I actually save my plastic, paper and glass (as do most of my neighbours), and give it to the people who clean my soi every day. It supplements their meagre income when they sell it to the dealers.

The local admin seems very forward thinking with their intention to use trash to generate power.

Why did you doctor my post???

The local admin is not that forward thinking when 800,000 tons is heaped up, but better late than never.

I am in Udon city, provide my own bin, but have to pay 25 baht a month for it collected. Other Thai people nearby use my bin so they do not have to pay, these are respected government persons. Now I have stopped them using the bin, and speak KEENYOW to them they lose face.

There is NO trash pick up in our village (70K South of KKC). People burn everything. Some put trash at the edge of the street - allowing the dogs to pick through it before the wind shoves it away. The "stubborn" trash gets burned. Ah the smell of burning plastic in the morning.....

Why Oh Why would you live there....? and if so, why don't you do something about it..? seems that all the trash is not being burned...w00t.gif

There is NO trash pick up in our village (70K South of KKC). People burn everything. Some put trash at the edge of the street - allowing the dogs to pick through it before the wind shoves it away. The "stubborn" trash gets burned. Ah the smell of burning plastic in the morning.....

Why Oh Why would you live there....? and if so, why don't you do something about it..? seems that all the trash is not being burned...w00t.gif

When posters move home and the area seems ok and the house is what they need, the first priority is NOT to ask if people burn their trash in an evening.

Selfaopath is one of these guys, and it is not always possible to uproot again.

Local admin have a budget but tend to spend it on trips out for staff rather than use it for disposal of waste.

• Like 1

The trash car, used to collect my rubbish every two weeks, where I live, near Khon Kaen.

After giving them a tip of 40 Baht, they are there twice a week and usually shout at me and wait, in case I have more rubbish.

So, 40 Baht a month, goes a loooooooong waythumbsup.gif

• Like 1

The trash car, used to collect my rubbish every two weeks, where I live, near Khon Kaen.

After giving them a tip of 40 Baht, they are there twice a week and usually shout at me and wait, in case I have more rubbish.

So, 40 Baht a month, goes a loooooooong waythumbsup.gif

Thai style.laugh.png

• Like 1

Local admin -BRAIN DEAD.

The local admin is not that forward thinking when 800,000 tons is heaped up, but better late than never.

I am in Udon city, provide my own bin, but have to pay 25 baht a month for it collected. Other Thai people nearby use my bin so they do not have to pay, these are respected government persons. Now I have stopped them using the bin, and speak KEENYOW to them they lose face.

Correction: The local administration was very much forward thinking.

But, alas, being a country with a very much centrlized governmental style, Khon Kaen municipality was already giving hints to the government that something needed to be done, soon.

Well, a few years later things are going to happen.

It is not so long ago rubbish was heaped up in western countries,or dumped in the sea which is still going on in some countries in the west.

I know there are many rubbish tips "under cover", as they say, in many countries,

Same same.....

Local admin -BRAIN DEAD.

I did not "doctor" your post - I merely replaced the parts which were irrelevent to my reply with full stops to indicate that there was other text - out of consideration for other users who do not need to have the whole of the post repeated.

Perhaps searching the news.bbc.co.uk site for "rubbish mountain" will give you an idea of how supposedly more adnvanced countries have similar if not greater problems.

In the major city where I lived in UK you knew when the binmen had been - each street had its own personal rubbish mountain in the carriageway! I don't have that problem here in Khon Kaen I am happy to say.

• Like 1

Local admin -BRAIN DEAD.

OK -but what 25 THB.month? less than a US$ a month. Where I am in MX -soon to move to KK- we have a graffiti problem. For little cost I have a stock of matching paints that usually knocks out the problem for a few months. at a time. My 'paying for it' doesn't kill the family budget .

• Like 1

Local admin -BRAIN DEAD.

OK -but what 25 THB.month? less than a US$ a month. Where I am in MX -soon to move to KK- we have a graffiti problem. For little cost I have a stock of matching paints that usually knocks out the problem for a few months. at a time. My 'paying for it' doesn't kill the family budget .

Was not the 25 baht that matters it was the wealthy that used my bin to save 25 baht.---keep painting, I do -but I paint pictures rather than other peoples property walls. If you want to put up with that Fine. Get a work permit for your paintingthumbsup.gif

Getting back to topic... there will of course be adequate filters fitted to this incinerator? Enormously expensive, "All incinerators pose considerable risk to the health and environment of neighboring communities as
well as that of the general population. Even the most technologically advanced incinerators release thousands of pollutants that contaminate our air, soil and water." google away you guys living up there and start thinking about moving near to one of the nuclear power plants Thailand thinks itself capable of building.

I was reminded of waste to energy on the b.b.c..Honolulu is building one..very expensive, 90 mil. USD..I think it more than an incinerator. Gotta clean the air..alohz

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Udon province --village were delivered free bins, (the car tyer type) BUT no collection. Thais fill the bins empty out and burn all the contents, evening plastic smoke to woo you into endless sleep.

I have to laugh because locals in general think that BOTTLES and BATTERIES burn. look at a fires remains lo and behold bottles and exploded batteries. this then is repeated when the bin is again overflowing.

I used to have 3 bins, glass--plastics-rubbish and a stack of paper/cardboard. Every 2 weeks I load it into my car in plastic bags and take it to a re-cycle company and collect on average 150 bht.

Local admin -BRAIN DEAD.

I 'liked' your post because that is what I do here on Phuket. Sort. Easy. Together with the fact we have many garbage collectors doing the rounds every day to make their living. BUT. The sois are still strewn with that the garbage collectors will not take. Even though there are now signs everywhere announcing a 2k fine for littering. Oh yes? And who's there to enforce this then?

• Like 1

What it does show is that when there is no functioning central Government and they don't have to ask permission for every little thing people start to think for themselves and solutions are found.

Following the old principal : "If you want something done properly do it yourself"

That is what decentralizing power will promote.

What it does show is that when there is no functioning central Government and they don't have to ask permission for every little thing people start to think for themselves and solutions are found.

Following the old principal : "If you want something done properly do it yourself"

Well that may have worked when takeaways were wrapped in banana leaves and houses were built of bamboo. Not same now. Is it?huh.png

Right. Do you actually read the posts? Garbage incinerators are extremely expensive and pollute air and water with poisons. I doubt that adequate filters will be installed. The residue ash has to go somewhere also.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

Waste to energy is more advanced than the nautilus submarine..here's hoping..I hope they do it here..as we're learning..reduce, reuse.. alohz

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app