British Jeep Driver injured in high speed collision in East Pattaya

webfact

A "37 year old Thai male driving a Fortuner" is all that you really need to know.........They think that they own the roads, and drive like they do. Do they teach "survival of the biggest" is the Rule of the Road in drivers' education classes here in Thailand?

"Police are now investigating the crash and may press charges against one of the drivers should they decide one of those involved in the crash were at-fault."

Nice to see that even though the police are still investigating to determine who was at fault you already have that information and that is all we need to know. Are you helping the police with any other investigations that can be expedited?

I was not making an assessment of legal fault or liability, just a general observation. It may very well be the case that the guy in the jeep was legally at fault. It sounds like perhaps he was. But the guy in the Fortuner was going fast enough to roll the jeep over, which IMHO is much too fast when traveling through the several dangerous intersections on the railway road. And it is, at least to me, a clear indication of the "might makes right" attitude of most male Fortuner drivers that I see on the roads around Pattaya. And it certainly doesn't surpise me that the vehicle that hit the jeep coming through the intersection and caused it to over turn was a Fortuner driven by a relatively young Thai male. And from the little information that is available, I think that with reasonable certainty, if the guy in the Fortuner had been driving more slowly the accident would not have happened or, at the very least, the jeep would not have been rolled by the force of the collision. You don't need extra sensory perception or clairvoyance to come to this conclusion, just good common sense and powers of observation. Maybe over time, you will develop some. And I try to the greatest extent possible to keep as far away from the police here in Thailand as I can -- getting close is in and of itself a "life threatening" (or wallet emptying) event -- so, sorry, I'm not available, but thanks for asking......

Edited by Thailaw
  • Like 2

so many experts on this junction but how many ACTUALLY know where it is....or drive on it? i do those junctions twice a day, a lot of thais just blast down the railway line soi without slowing down at the junctions, not even lifting off the throttle. other people drive across the railway line without slowing down to check for speeding idiots heading for them. its a game of numbers.

for me the dangerous part is slowing down at the junction to check for cross traffic, to do that risks me being hit from behind by a speeding a-hole who cant judge speed or distance.

and all these comments about them having no driver training, if you dont improve at something after doing it every day for years then youre not very intellegent.end.

• Like 2

Sorry, but i haven't seen too many good driving foreigners in Pattaya either. Saw quite a few big bike accidents caused by foreigners, who never sat on a big bike before.

We were in Pattaya at the weekend. It was eye opening to see how quickly Farangs adapt to the Thai style of riding motorbikes.

jb1

I would say the driver of the Jeep is probably at fault. Khao noi, khao talo, nernplubwan, etc all cross the railroad tracks and have a flashing red light which means stop. traveling along the railroad is flashing yellow meaning slow down and proceed with caution. Most people including farangs ignore the flashing red and continue like they are on the motorway.

What a crass remark. Who hit who? From what was reported the Fortuna hit the Jeep.

There seems to be the same mentality in Thailand as in the Middle East i.e. the locals are the best drivers in the world.

Put the blame were it is due and stop making stupid comments

A British National, Mr. Mario Sambucci aged 62 was the only person injured in the crash which saw his Jeep flip over after it was reportedly clipped on the rear by a Toyota Fortuna

I don't know about other countries, but in the UK if you hit someone in the rear, the accident is classed as your fault.

The law states that you should always keep a safe distance between you and the vehicle in front, to allow you to stop safely in an emergency.

jb1

I would say the driver of the Jeep is probably at fault. Khao noi, khao talo, nernplubwan, etc all cross the railroad tracks and have a flashing red light which means stop. traveling along the railroad is flashing yellow meaning slow down and proceed with caution. Most people including farangs ignore the flashing red and continue like they are on the motorway.

What a crass remark. Who hit who? From what was reported the Fortuna hit the Jeep.

There seems to be the same mentality in Thailand as in the Middle East i.e. the locals are the best drivers in the world.

Put the blame were it is due and stop making stupid comments

the fortuner hit the jeep which was crossing an intersection in which it was supposed to stop. That has nothing to do with where the people were born it has to do with following the road signs. Maybe you don't understand the concept of order and discipline which is why you find the comment to be stupid.

The railway line road is a good way to avoid the slow moving Sukhumvit.

There are many junctions along it's length and the lights are not used.... I think correctly as they cause awful tailbacks.

Problem is none of the junctions have a 'right of way'... it is a bit 'assumed' or 'first come first served' or even 'biggest wins'.

When busy, they get choked up as of course traffic stops in what should be a yellow box zone.

When not so busy, people in a hurry drive too fast and will hurtle across these junctions without any mind.

It only needs 2 people with the same approach arriving at the same time.

It can be pretty rough crossing over the railway line too.

On a bike, I judge it to be safer than Sukhumvit......

You mean something like this ?

On a bike safe ?

The railway line road is a good way to avoid the slow moving Sukhumvit.

There are many junctions along it's length and the lights are not used.... I think correctly as they cause awful tailbacks.

Problem is none of the junctions have a 'right of way'... it is a bit 'assumed' or 'first come first served' or even 'biggest wins'.

When busy, they get choked up as of course traffic stops in what should be a yellow box zone.

When not so busy, people in a hurry drive too fast and will hurtle across these junctions without any mind.

It only needs 2 people with the same approach arriving at the same time.

It can be pretty rough crossing over the railway line too.

On a bike, I judge it to be safer than Sukhumvit......

You mean something like this ?

On a bike safe ?

Ouch.

Of course on a bike I have less physical protection.....

But my point was that I avoid Sukhumvit on the bike, and prefer to use this bypass road.

Traffic in Pattaya is particularly bad at the moment, school holidays maybe.

Edited by jacko45k