Swine flu claims lives of 24 people in Thailand this year

webfact

Swine flu claims lives of 24 people this year

influenza-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Swine flu or H1N1 flu has so far claimed the lives of 24 patients in the country since early this year.

Northern Thailand is the region hardest hit by the swine flu, said director of Trang Hospital Dr Chaiyuth Saksornchai, an expert in the swine flu.

He said the highest mortality rate was reported among patients in the 55-64 and 45-54 age group.
Fifty cases of H1N1 have been reported since the beginning of this year in Trang province.

He said the symptoms of 2009 H1N1 influenza virus include fever, coughing, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, body aches, headache, chills, and fatigue.
If any member of the family is sick with these kinds of illness for more than two days, immediate medical attention should be provided.

For those who have been diagnosed with the flu are advised to keep away from others as much as possible and cover their mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing, he said.

H1N1 first emerged in Thailand in 2010 before resurfacing again this year.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/swine-flu-claims-lives-24-people-year/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2014-04-25

' Preventative Medicine ' Thai style means preventing the public being told until it simply can't be kept quiet any longer and of course it's too late.

can't scare the tourists away,there are so few of them these days

Be careful, TAT knows where you live.

I was ill with 'the flu' 3 weeks ago for about 5 days, and it knocked me for 6. I didn't go to the hospital or clinic or anything, just took loads of tiffy and stayed in bed. It seemed like a pretty full on flu as well, I am wondering now if I had it. I am late 20s so I am not in the range of age group where it seems to have killed, but even now my lungs are still congested to some degree. It was realy difficult to breathe for a few days and I did contemplate going to seek medical help, but you know how most guys are with going to see the doc.

Edited by Tom420

He said the highest mortality rate was reported among patients in the 55-64 and 45-54 age group.

Wouldn't it be easier just to say that people from 45- 64 have the highest mortality rate?

For those who have been diagnosed with the flu are advised to keep away from others as much as possible and cover their mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing, he said.

Gotta love this one. They never stay away from others, what about using the same bathrooms/ toilets, etc?

Third world, good morning, wake up. -wai2.gif

' Preventative Medicine ' Thai style means preventing the public being told until it simply can't be kept quiet any longer and of course it's too late.

Posted 2014-03-06 06:33:16

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/708881-deaths-spark-h1n1-flu-warning-thailand/

What you say is not true. Frankly I believe that you do not know or care that this is the case. When officials issue health warnings this forum's "wizards" frequently spout disdainful cracks about starting a panic. Certainly you would jump on board that one with the same ignorant conviction as well.wink.png

• Like 1

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/708881-deaths-spark-h1n1-flu-warning-thailand/

What you say is not true. Frankly I believe that you do not know or care that this is the case. When officials issue health warnings this forum's "wizards" frequently spout disdainful cracks about starting a panic. Certainly you would jump on board that one with the same ignorant conviction as well.wink.png

Are unfamilar with or choosing to ignore previous cover ups or slow releases of information ?

I resent your implication that i don't care as any outbreak is serious but i'm not in a position to do anything about it. i am familiar however, as are many others, about how Thai governments operate or don't as the case maybe.

Not just for medical problems but ' white lies ' are perfectly acceptable here.

• Like 1

Are unfamilar with or choosing to ignore previous cover ups or slow releases of information ?

I resent your implication that i don't care as any outbreak is serious but i'm not in a position to do anything about it. i am familiar however, as are many others, about how Thai governments operate or don't as the case maybe.

Not just for medical problems but ' white lies ' are perfectly acceptable here.

I have first hand experience of this being diagonosed with it in September 2012.

Did the usual 'brave man thing' and refused any medication, suggested by Mrs N., for 3 days. Stuck with the 'my body's own defenses will deal with this' defence.

On day four I thought I was on my way out. I have never felt that weak and I cannot even begin to describe the headache. Fiercly intense would be the most accurate description.

4 days in hospital on a constant drip to fight both the swine flu itself and the pneumonia in one lung that accompanied it. Followed by a 14-day home quarrantine during which it was all I could do to get out of bed to use the bathroom.

Attempted to play golf about 2 months after and had to be carried off after 6 holes - completely exhausted.

They (the 'experts' at the private hospital) said it was contracted about 10 days before, which puts me working in one of Bangkok's most prestigious hotels and/or on the BTS to-and-fro from that job. Just unlucky I guess.

I have first hand experience of this being diagonosed with it in September 2012.

Did the usual 'brave man thing' and refused any medication, suggested by Mrs N., for 3 days. Stuck with the 'my body's own defenses will deal with this' defence.

On day four I thought I was on my way out. I have never felt that weak and I cannot even begin to describe the headache. Fiercly intense would be the most accurate description.

4 days in hospital on a constant drip to fight both the swine flu itself and the pneumonia in one lung that accompanied it. Followed by a 14-day home quarrantine during which it was all I could do to get out of bed to use the bathroom.

Attempted to play golf about 2 months after and had to be carried off after 6 holes - completely exhausted.

They (the 'experts' at the private hospital) said it was contracted about 10 days before, which puts me working in one of Bangkok's most prestigious hotels and/or on the BTS to-and-fro from that job. Just unlucky I guess.

I guess I had a different strain of flu then. I very rarely get ill as well, glad you recovered. Like I said my lungs are still not right now 3 weeks on. As a matter of fact today I went to see a Thai friend of mine who is really not well, complaining of a headache and sore throat, she is at work as well and said she is going home in the afternoon.

Edited by Tom420

I know reports said up North; about 8 weeks ago I got knocked off my bike in Phuket, done my ribs in good style (still sore now) three weeks after that (5 weeks ago) I came down with a bad cold, lasted about 6 days then seemed to ease on the 7th day, then woke up day 8 and felt like crap? It then felt like a real bad case of flue and went on for another week, I put it down to being unwell from the accident, my ribs being bad I had trouble coughing/sneezing this was absolute agony, I am still not 100% now, reading this make me wonder whether I had a touch of this, I sure had all the symptoms and felt like I was pegging out, my chest still not clear.

I thought h1n1 was bird flu.

Are they trying hard not to say it?

No that is H5N1

Other strains of H1N1 are endemic in pigs (swine influenza) and in birds (avian influenza)

That is from wikipedia. So, I think they maybe trying really hard not to say it

Moo Flu?...Pigs may fly.

I thought h1n1 was bird flu.

Are they trying hard not to say it?

No that is H5N1

Other strains of H1N1 are endemic in pigs (swine influenza) and in birds (avian influenza)

That is from wikipedia. So, I think they maybe trying really hard not to say it

What's typically called "birid flu" is H5N1, it's more difficult to transmit to humans and has a very high mortality rate.

H1N1 is the same strain that hit Thailand (and elsewhere around the world) a few years ago. Transmission rates are high but mortality rates of this strain aren't any higher than the seasonal form of influenza.