Noisy gekkos keep me awake. What to do?

jackvale

The only way I can live here is with earplugs, Thai Loudness... I bought at Watsons or I bring from States.

Criminy. What's worse? The high-strung, toy-yip-yip-dog next door that barks non-stop any time he's outside, the 3 Huskey's across the soi from the toy-yip-yip-dog that take up the chorus, the Muay Thai truck that blares out adverts for Muay Thai in English which in turns gets all the dogs on the soi howling......or geckos (big or small)? I'll take the geckos. smile.png At least the geckos do something productive like eat their body-weight in bugs every night.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only way I can live here is with earplugs, Thai Loudness... I bought at Watsons or I bring from States.

Criminy. What's worse? The high-strung, toy-yip-yip-dog next door that barks non-stop any time he's outside, the 3 Huskey's across the soi from the toy-yip-yip-dog that take up the chorus, the Muay Thai truck that blares out adverts for Muay Thai in English which in turns gets all the dogs on the soi howling......or geckos (big or small)? I'll take the geckos. smile.png At least the geckos do something productive like eat their body-weight in bugs every night.

Yair, there should be a law here insisting on all dog owners getting a handling licence.

So many haven't got a b....y clue.

People behind me have 10 dogs, and you wouldn't know it apart from a group howl where every dog in the street joins the chorus. It's amazing to hear, and then all shut up, apart from the one in front of my house. He wages a non-stop war scaring off pick-ups.

Geckos or Tokays? Tokays are the big noisy ones.

Tokay is cheap wine for down-and-out drunks. whistling.gif

Jingjoo (jing-jôo) is the name for the small ones, and Dukgay's (dtúk gɛɛ) is the name for the big ones.wai.gif

Sorry, but the word for the "big ones" is Quality Tourist from Russia.

Is there nothing that our fellow man will complain about? Be thankful that the geckos ( I presume you mean Tokays') are still around in your area. They fetch a high price now from the Chinese who consider anything that looks disagreeable must be good medicine. I think Tokays' are quit beautiful and very courageous. Try catching one, but don't get bitten. They can give you a nasty suck.

• Like 1

I don't mind their sounds, but I hate cleaning up all the shit they leave all over my kitchen bench and floor. I make a bit of a sport out of catching them, but I don't kill them, but throw them out the window.

Personally I like the sound. It is almost comforting. A large 10 inch gecko got in the house and ran amuck. That was interesting. My Thai wife said some Thais like them in their house. kinds keep them as pets. Eat the insects.

My wife considers geckos in the house are good luck. She warns me not to kill any. I don't - just toss them out the window if I can catch them.

The roaches in this country are way bigger so maybe they're getting the little insects but they're not ridding my room of roaches (who are harmless). I find their poop all over my window sill every morning.

Are roaches harmless? The only place I see roaches at my house are in the basement sewer tanks - 1000's of them, so if I see one crawling around the house I know exactly where it has been. Unfortunately the little house geckos don't eat them.

Count the times they call.......if over 8 buy lottery ticket the next morningthumbsup.gif

having won the lottery several times i have found that six calls are good luck but the gekkos must be on your property

Correction: "Inside your property" better yet, inside your house/apartmentclap2.gif

You can have 5 of my soi dogs and you send me 10 of your gekkos , gekkos works as a sleeping medicine for me.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 3 weeks later...

my wife buys stuff like buble gum stick it on wall or ceiling bingo all dead 2days only 5bht but pack in thai writting ask her if you can speak thai

cheers

Yes. that is for trapping mouse, it may work, but if it doesn't, then you will need plan B, which is get a few mouse to eat up the geckos, and now no gecko but you still canot sleep because you have mice running around, so now come to plan C, get some cats to eat up the mice, but you still cannot sleep because the cats are playing and not eating the mice, so you now move on to plan D..... get a big phyton to eat up all the mice and cats, but you still cannot sleep, why? Well, once the foods are gone, you will be the next meal... and now do you want plan E? Ha ha no offence, just to humour myself.

Bear in mind geckos eat insects (and sometimes even small rodents).

They don't stay around if there's nothing to eat.

therefore if you have them and get rid of them (not easily achieved)...expect a rise in other pest population.

We have a lot of them living in our home free!

In south panghan and Tao many gekkos here in se

Little bit sometime not hear over weeks

For me is romantic the gekko call

But a soi dog makes alarm of every little mic men espasaly when it's

Full moon and more people drunk

Only 4 viable options for you (1) Get some Valium to sleep at night

(2) see if you can get some ambien to sleep

(3) Get a sound noise generator & listen to a fan noice or waves to drown out the chit chit

(4) Move to a cooler non tropical location on earth.

You could shoot them as another poster suggested, but that might do a number on your walls & create blood splats everywhere & they would still hone in on you anyway.

I lived in tropical locations for at least 30 years now. You get used to it . Tokays different story for me . They shit in my tool shed & it smells rank so I waste any of them that come around. Now they have figured it out why there are no family members & go stealth & don't make noise so I can't find them. Down to one now & he can't get in my new tool shed. Happy Happy!

But you will get used to the chit chits in time or wind up moving to a colder climate. Sleepers would get old & dreary after a short amount of time & probably a bad idea for a long term solution.

• 4 weeks later...