Noisy gekkos keep me awake. What to do?

jackvale

I kill them with a bamboo stick, and then throw the bodies outside for all their brethren to see...as a warning.

I also spray around windows, doors, etc. a water and peppermint/eucalyptus oil mixture, which supposedly helps keep away spiders as well. Even if it doesn't work, it smells pretty good.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Better to have the wildlife around that you can hear, 'Gupgay', they are known as around my area are far more welcome than snakes and scorpions. They are there because of ample food source, find what they eat and eradicate that, they'll move on to greener pastures.

Edited by chrisrazz

OP: Golden Tree snakes eat the Tokay geckos, so get a couple of snakes in your studio.... cheesy.gif

On a serious note: ridiculous to not adapt to the wildlife of your guest country. Reptiles have been here for millions of years, don't you think they are entitled to do their calling? (only males call BTW).

mikeynodosh, on 25 Apr 2014 - 18:33, said:
NamKAheng, on 25 Apr 2014 - 12:54, said:

BBQ!

the gekkos and the frogs make more noise they a donkey in labour, Having a few cat's about cured the problem for meclosedeyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.9v32nXk90q.g

It's those giant noisy cicadas that annoy me.

• Like 1

True, they are noisy. But I always relax when hearing the Tokay cry, because I know it will not attack me (unless intimidated), and it keeps everything smaller than itself abay. No mosquitos, cockroaches, spiders, ants or other bugs around. A very handy janitor in a sense :-)

Live with it, they were around before you were (historically), get ear plugs or move to a country that doesnt have Tookays...take your pick. There are many worse things that could be keeping you awake so be thankful.

I have one living part time in my roof and several at work, still not as noisey as the damn cockrel next door who thinks its dawn at 2am, 3am, 4am, 12pm ect !

• Like 1

Have had a tokay hanging out in our kitchen, bathroom and ceiling for many years now. Consider him/her same as a pet. The tokey's crap consists mostly of recycled bugs. We get along just fine even though he keeps say <deleted> you, but I'm sure he is saying that to his girlfriend and not me. She is a regular visitor also. Swears at him as well.

Every so often one gets into my house and suddenly out of the clear blue starts yakking about something. I'm sitting there enjoying the peace and quiet and he starts hollering, almost scares the crap out of me.

Gave up trying to figure out how they keep getting into the house, and have almost got over feeling sad for the ones that do get in as I know I'm eventually going to find their shriveled, dried up little corpses behind some piece of furniture one day after they've starved to death.

And despite seeing the little buggars around all the time, I still end up having to deal with roaches, mosquitoes, termites and ants. I wonder why the geckos seem to starve to death all the time when I'm constantly having to deal with those other pests. Bluddy lizards should be the size of large cats for all the bugs they could (should) be eating around my place !!

I kill them with a bamboo stick, and then throw the bodies outside for all their brethren to see...as a warning.

I also spray around windows, doors, etc. a water and peppermint/eucalyptus oil mixture, which supposedly helps keep away spiders as well. Even if it doesn't work, it smells pretty good.

You must be so proud jerk.gif.pagespeed.ce.TMGfqs4Lzz.gif

I feel you should just get used to them as lets face they were here before you were...they are just part and parcel of Thailand..

Elephants were here before us also. We don't let them roam at will do we? Same for tigers etc.

True, but I've never seen them trumpeting whilst walking up walls in a studio eithercheesy.gif

• Like 1

Geckos or Tokays? Tokays are the big noisy ones.

Tokay is cheap wine for down-and-out drunks. whistling.gif

Jingjoo (jing-jôo) is the name for the small ones, and Dukgay's (dtúk gɛɛ) is the name for the big ones.wai.gif

Edited by connda