Beware "Admitted until" date-stamp on arrival with re-entry permit

Briefly -- My extension of stay based on retirement was granted on 14Jan14 valid till 3Feb15 (being 12 months after the existing non-O) Re-entry permit applied for at the same time (14Jan14) was granted with "Valid until" and "Length of Stay until" both stamped 8Oct14. I have no idea where they plucked that date from.

I confess to not noticing this at the time and when I came back to Thailand the immigration officer just followed the dates on the re-entry permit (8Oct14) -- NOT the validity of my extension of stay(3Feb15) and I now have an entry stamp with "Admitted until" stamped as 8Oct14.

I'll fix it when I do my first 90day report (I hope). It's not a big issue for me as I intend leaving Thailand in October for a few weeks anyway, but I flag the issue here for comment and advice as it might affect others much more.

Hot here innit !

I didn't think the passport date would be the reason.

You should go to immigration and get your entry stamp corrected.

If you have a multiple re-entry permit they should also correct the date on it also.

Immigration officers at offices can make the same type of mistakes as those at the airport so it is a good idea to check stamps before leaving the office.

• Like 1

If you have a multiple re-entry permit they should also correct the date on it also.

Immigration officers at offices can make the same type of mistakes as those at the airport so it is a good idea to check stamps before leaving the office.

Point well taken. The mistake was initially made by the immigration officer issuing the re-entry permit at my local immigration office. I will be doubly careful to make sure it is correct next time. The "Valid until" and "Length of Stay until" date stamps on the re-entry permit should presumably coincide with the expiry of my extension of stay?

P.S. It's a single re-entry permit -- I only leave twice a year.

Edited by jpinx

Until what date is your passport valid?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I recently returned from Oz and the Immigration guy at Chiang Mai laughed out loud when I asked him how he'd enjoyed Haiwaii, as the entire crew were wearing floral shirts for Songkran.

Then with a big smile, stamped my passport for the end of September, well after my 90 days would be up.

Maybe they're giving us Retirement Visa holders a fair deal?? clap2.gif

I recently returned from Oz and the Immigration guy at Chiang Mai laughed out loud when I asked him how he'd enjoyed Haiwaii, as the entire crew were wearing floral shirts for Songkran.

Then with a big smile, stamped my passport for the end of September, well after my 90 days would be up.

You don't have retirement visa. You apparently have a multiple entry non-o visa based upon being eligible for retirement.

You should leave before 90 days are up or you could be charged for overstay on departure if they notice the error. You are responsible for assuring you keep your stay legit even if it was their error.

• Like 1

Point well taken. The mistake was initially made by the immigration officer issuing the re-entry permit at my local immigration office. I will be doubly careful to make sure it is correct next time. The "Valid until" and "Length of Stay until" date stamps on the re-entry permit should presumably coincide with the expiry of my extension of stay?

P.S. It's a single re-entry permit -- I only leave twice a year.

Sounds like the last stamp as for Oct. and he forgot to change the date on the stamp.

You don't have retirement visa. You apparently have a multiple entry non-o visa based upon being eligible for retirement.

You should leave before 90 days are up or you could be charged for overstay on departure if they notice the error. You are responsible for assuring you keep your stay legit even if it was their error.

Thanks for the information and warning. I have no idea why the Immigration guy changed his date stamp to be the same as my end of time for my retirement visa (that's what HE called it, not me) which has another 5 months to run.

That's a bit of a trap for the unwary and the cynics could suggest they're trying to raise revenue with overstay fees.

I'll be briefly in KL next month so I'm well-covered for this 90 day period.

Thanks for the information and warning. I have no idea why the Immigration guy changed his date stamp to be the same as my end of time for my retirement visa (that's what HE called it, not me) which has another 5 months to run.

That's a bit of a trap for the unwary and the cynics could suggest they're trying to raise revenue with overstay fees.

I'll be briefly in KL next month so I'm well-covered for this 90 day period.

If you have or are going to get a single re-entry permit for your trip to KL -- check that the date correlates with the end of your visa extension. That was the trap I fell into. If you already have a multiple re-entry permit, double check that it has the same date as the end of your visa extension and if not, get it fixed before you travel again.