Buying A New Pickup

Korat Correct

I'm just looking for now.

But need to know about vehicle registration.

Red plates etc.

Can't find the info through a search of Thaivisa?

Can a farang with a Thai one year non immigrant visa/Thai driving licence, own a new car?

Where in Korat does one register it.

Ive been looking at a modest new 4 door pickup.

Settled for a Toyota as they offer the most for the least.

Seen a Nissan, Mitshuibishi, Mazda, Ford and Isuzu

Haven't found Chevy dealer yet?

Understand the yearly car tax for a two door pickup is 900bht but 6000bht for a 4 door?

Anyone know if cash can produce larger discounts elsewhere in this (Korat)or other areas of LOS?

Does that affect registering it?

Can a farang with a Thai one year non immigrant visa/Thai driving licence, own a new car?

Yes.

Why buy a pick-up, are you a farmer or own a buidling business?

6000 ayear tax, surely not. My sports car costs about 1000.

I'm just looking for now.

I bought a 4-dr Isuzu LS last month, I'd just arrived in Thailand on a Non-O visa, the showroom didn't need to see it. I first took the model out for a test drive (they have a specially designed 4WD test course) and had all differences of models excplained to me in English, and they gave me an English language owners manual.

Regarding tax, insurance, registration, etc. I just let the dealer deal with it and got an inclusive discount price with all the extras, then haggled a bit for cash.

Got the truck a week later with red plates (they loaned me a s/h truck in the interim) - the plates will be changed for the proper ones "soon". The dealer should take you along to the office where they reigster vehicle/issue plates and you can choose your number.

I'm not too sure about Korat dealers but if I can get this sort of service in Sisaket you should have no problems there!

Happy motoring. :o

BTW - I haven't got a Thai driving licence yet - using an international driving permit, the dealers didn't ask to see this either. Also, this is the fourth truck we've bought from this dealer so they know us pretty well.

Edited by pnustedt

neeranam

Why buy a pick-up, are you a farmer or own a buidling business?
My sports car costs about 1000.

why buy a sports car ?

are you a racing driver or a playboy with a chest wig?

everybody knows that big hairy pick 4wd ups with large wheels and mud down the sides help us men keep in touch with our masculine side , its therapy !!! and the expense and environmental degradation are more than justified.

p.s. since when have mazda 323's been sports cars :o

Edited by taxexile

Pnutstedt

Many thanks for your comments

That info should allay my fears too.

Delivery and registration fees etc.. Did they spell those out clearly because they differ at different garages.

I take your point about the price haggling.

My preference is:-

Toyota Hilux Vigo Double cab 2.5J-PS 4x2 (non metallic white)

Nice finish inside including two water bottle holders.

The back seat folds up so if you don't want to use it you have the convenience of the extra doors and an inside luggage well.

? White,non metallic (I want Neeranam to see me coming past him in his little sports car)

I took the list price added the following and asked for a further discount for cash.

Delivery registrationetc.. ?about 7600bht

"Bin Liner"

Insurance 1 for one year

4 floor mats

Window rain shields

Back bumper ( may be standard)

Fly screen

Central locking (not standard on this model)

1st service free (standard)

Full Tank of diesel

(Has turbo diesel engine and intercooler).

List price 571000bht ( about half the price of a car and you get a five seat vehicle and an enormous boot. Ideal for the man who doesn't have an ego problem too.

Discount for cash ( send me an email)

BTW I got my Thai driving licence in one day. I took my rental contract to the Council office in Korat to get it and a piece of paper stamped and then went to Jorhor (? spelling) to get my licence. I did take my UK licence too though.

Once you go for the application form, the nice English speaking girl at the desk is only too willing to help you. (I think she's looking for a farang boyfriend)

Did they spell those out clearly because they differ at different garages.

I don't recall seeing a price list detailing delivery and other costs. Actually, they had an "on the road price" including tax and insurance. This price included the usual "extras", e.g. liner, tints, etc. I told them to take off side window visors and to add on leather seats. The price quoted was the price we paid - no add ons afterwards. I don't know what the official retail price is for the truck.

I hope that we don't meet a woman looking for a farang boyfriend at the driving licence centre - my wife eats them for breakfast!