The music is terrible on pattaya 103

davidst01

I was listening to pattaya 103 this morning and couldn't believe how bad the music was. The dj from the uk was playing old ABBA songs etc.

I know the average demographic of farang Pattaya residents is over 60 yrs old and this is their main target market but still.... The guy could play some classic old timers music- ie from the Rock genre. Anything is better than ABBA. Come on mr dj!

Before any old boys tell me to stop listening I can duly inform you that I have done so

cheers

Nothing wrong with Abba, a lot of good childhood memories come back when i hear Abba on the radio, and to the OP, Abba song or not.....i bet you were singing along.....unless of course you are from across the pond!

Edited by LennyW

You obviously have internet. So you can listen to virtually any radio station in the world from your computer or phone. I would highly recommend BBC 6 music (great music and no ads). Obviously this is no help if you only listen to the radio in the car and can't plug your phone into the system.

• Like 1

I think they advertise as playing 70s and 80s mainly. The music varies a lot depending on which time of day and dj you get.

Sometimes I think it is terrible and switch to CD - what other station options are there if you are in the car?

Edited by topt

Nothing wrong with Abba, a lot of good childhood memories come back when i hear Abba on the radio, and to the OP, Abba song or not.....i bet you were singing along.....unless of course you are from across the pond!

I'm "from across the pond" and I really like ABBA. I especially like Hotel California, We are the Champions, and We Built this City, which IMHO are 3 of their best songs! If 103 played songs like that, i would certainly listen....
Ha ha too funny, but I know what you mean!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Design your own radio station using Pandora.

Seriously, you can input the names of singers, song writers, genres and Pandora will mix and match and produce your own personalised radio station. Pandora is based in USA so you will need to use a proxy or VPN to use it. I find that Hola! works well.

DM

It's impossible to please everyone on a radio station. It's also wrong to say music is bad because you don't like it.

OP, get with the times and use Internet radio. I recommend Sky.FM as the best. You can choose from 70 channels. They have dedicated 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's channels. Lot of Jazz channels too. rock, classical, romantic, easy listening, relaxation, heavy metal - it's all there. The line-up is impressive and they hire experienced DJ's and musicians to put these channels together.

I've been using it for 2 years already. You can listen free at 40k AAC-HE quality, or sign up to the premium service for higher quality at $4.99 per month. You'll get the occasional prompt to go premium on the free service, but not too often. They have really good mobile apps too, for your smartphone or tablets.

As an added bonus, they now have 2 Russian channels (Russian dance hit and Russian pop). Don't laugh, my wife loves the Russian dance.biggrin.png

• Like 1

I'm also a long-term subscriber to Sky.fm (but your wife can keep the Russian channels which to my mind would be grounds for divorce).

When I listen to local radio (in the car or at home) it is almost always to 103. Some of us realise that the world stopped producing good music about 25 years ago, and that even in the 10 years prior to that they didn't produce very much.

It's a shame that 103 only seems to have an ogg feed available as my Sonos unit cant stream that directly. They should have another format of feed (I suggest AAC without an ogg wrapper) and they should put the feed's URL on their website. Given their recent problems with hacked websites and broken feeds I'm not sure that their technical support actually knows anything about that (or anything).

As an added bonus, they now have 2 Russian channels (Russian dance hit and Russian pop). Don't laugh, my wife loves the Russian dance.biggrin.png

I'm currently listening to Radio Caprice - Chicago Blues outta Russia, 48 kbps. I often do; great tunes, all music, no nonsense. http://79.111.14.76:9091/

Edited by JSixpack

Christ, another moaning post!!!

I was thinking there should be more weather forecasts on local radio though, today the weather will be hot, tomorrow the weather will be hot, the day after the weather will be hot, and so forth!

Then there's the currency exchange rates, today is cheaper than living in the UK, tomorrow is cheaper than living in the USA, and the day after will be cheaper than living in AUS!

When we go back home wherever that may be; do we spend our time venting our anger on a local forum about the lack / or quality of locally available Thai, Mexican, Greek, Tapas, Chinese, etc, restaurants? About the local transportation infrastructure?

Just happy with the way things are!

And what's wrong with ABBA?w00t.gif

I love them.

Whether you like Abba or not, their songs had a melody to them, and the music they sang to was played by good musicians playing musical instruments. Not like the computerised crap you hear today, which is just pure noise, and should not be confused with music.

• Like 1

It's impossible to please everyone on a radio station. It's also wrong to say music is bad because you don't like it.

OP, get with the times and use Internet radio. I recommend Sky.FM as the best. You can choose from 70 channels. They have dedicated 60's, 70's, 80's and 90's channels. Lot of Jazz channels too. rock, classical, romantic, easy listening, relaxation, heavy metal - it's all there. The line-up is impressive and they hire experienced DJ's and musicians to put these channels together.

I've been using it for 2 years already. You can listen free at 40k AAC-HE quality, or sign up to the premium service for higher quality at $4.99 per month. You'll get the occasional prompt to go premium on the free service, but not too often. They have really good mobile apps too, for your smartphone or tablets.

Good post, but as I said, if the "music" some people are listening to is not played by musical instruments, then it is just noise, or to be more polite, sounds. ie I do not like jazz, but some of the best musicians in the world are jazz musicians, and Jazz is certainly not noise or sounds, it is real music, as is a lot of what you have mentioned.

I love them.

Whether you like Abba or not, their songs had a melody to them, and the music they sang to was played by good musicians playing musical instruments. Not like the computerised crap you hear today, which is just pure noise, and should not be confused with music.

Time is a big factor too. It's not uncommon that I hate a song now which I loved 20 years ago. The people having a whine about ABBA songs now were probably happily bopping along to them in the 70's.

There's a reason many ABBA songs were super hits. They were good at the time.

Good post, but as I said, if the "music" some people are listening to is not played by musical instruments, then it is just noise, or to be more polite, sounds. ie I do not like jazz, but some of the best musicians in the world are jazz musicians, and Jazz is certainly not noise or sounds, it is real music, as is a lot of what you have mentioned.

Music to one is sound or noise to another. Most of the sounds I enjoyed as a young man were noise to my parents. biggrin.png

I love them.

Time is a big factor too. It's not uncommon that I hate a song now which I loved 20 years ago. The people having a whine about ABBA songs now were probably happily bopping along to them in the 70's.

There's a reason many ABBA songs were super hits. They were good at the time.

That's very true Tropo.

Music to one is sound or noise to another. Most of the sounds I enjoyed as a young man were noise to my parents. biggrin.png

I was a professional musician in a country band back in Scotland, at one gig there was "music" getting played by a DJ just before we went on stage, I remarked to the drummer, "that's not music, it's just pure noise", he said "but it's music to them" referring to the young ones, I said " it's not music to anybody, but it's enjoyment to them".

Yes, I remember listening to The Beatles singing 'Twist and Shout', not that I was a Beatles fan though I liked some of their stuff, my mother remarked "that's just noise" but the Beatles were not bad musicians, they had about equal musical ability with the likes of The Searchers, The Rolling Stones, though I think the Stones vocal ability was poor, not one decent singer out of a five piece band.

The DJ on 103 was actually a member of the 70s band brotherhood of man, still plays at several bars around town and is IMO very good.

You are thinking of Barry Upton who is a presenter on Pattaya People Radio. I dont know about "good".

The girl who does Pattaya party patrol has the worst accent i ever heard on any radio station

That may be unfair. Many accents one hears on local radio here are little short of abysmal. Hers is similar. There is no way many of these people would ever get a job on UK radio.

I think the people at fabolous fm 103 does a great job , the music can be anything from an old 60's pop classic to the 80's Perfect for us over 45 that hates to listen to todays charts . It's the only radio station worth listening to in Pattaya.

Sent from my SM-P601 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2